No announcement yet.

How would you rate your hearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mrmitchell, I didn't hear you -- what was your question?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

That was lame, Fun .

--

My hearing I put as Good. I can hear telephone rings from other rooms that most people in the same room as me can't, so I guess it's above average, at the least. Not sure if it's 'excellent' though.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I have a hearing aid in my left ear -- with it, I hear just fine and dandy, unless you're mumbling, or looking away from me when talking.

Without my hearing aid, I can still hear -- I can also understand what a person is saying if I really concentrate on complete listening.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Did you even realise you were giving me a pun?
          Mr. Mitchell:

Well done.

Proteus:

No, it may be that I´ve learned it a bit without knowing it, but normally I don´t deliberate try to speechread. But it may be, that I subconsciously do it.
          Try practicing some time. Watch a television program with the sound off and without captioning. If you are planning to get by without using sign language, it will help to be able to read lips. This way, when your hearing deteriorates, you will still function well.

Your audiologist can test this along with your hearing. Simply have her read you a list of words with a piece of paper in front of her lips, and another list without the paper. The difference in your scores should correspond with the amount that you rely on speechreading.

that I can get along with Hearing Aids for a long time and maybe even have someday the chance to get my Inner Ear replaced
          There's been a good article not too long ago citing the possibility of genetic repairs, since most of the hearing loss can be attributed to small mutations.

I will post more when I get back from work and back on my home computer. It's quite an interesting article.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18

There's been a good article not too long ago citing the possibility of genetic repairs, since most of the hearing loss can be attributed to small mutations.

I will post more when I get back from work and back on my home computer. It's quite an interesting article.

That might be really interesting,
            as my hearing Loss ids definitely genetic
            and result in my Haircells becoming stiff,
            although I don´t know for sure, which Layer of Haircells it is,
            "only" the outer Layers (as I suspect), the inner Layer, or even both of them.

If this Defect could be compensated or even repaired, it would be cool
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I wish you luck but dont hold your breath. Genetic fixes have been a disaster so far and have caused a few deaths.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

and result in my Haircells becoming stiff,
                although I don´t know for sure, which Layer of Haircells it is,
                "only" the outer Layers (as I suspect), the inner Layer, or even both of them.
                The hair cells in the cochlea? That's exactly the cause of my loss, in that some of mine no longer transmit sound.

Does your loss occur on a dominent gene?

Genetic fixes have been a disaster so far and have caused a few deaths.
                A few years ago I would have pinned way more hopes on a cure. Now, I'm content with how I am. If they find one, great, but if they don't I'll make the best of what I have.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The hair cells in the cochlea? That's exactly the cause of my loss, in that some of mine no longer transmit sound.

Does your loss occur on a dominent gene?
                  Improbable,
                  my Parents don´t have it, so it must by Recessive
                  and/or involve multiple Loci
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                  X