Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope so, Wittlich.
    A bridge was needed to span the gap.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm just honest - it makes me uneasy
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I think you have self-doubts, AH.
        Work throught it, would be my advice.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I'm uncomfortable with it too. Instead of proclaiming that homosexual acts aren't sins, then recognizing gay marriage, and lastly allowing a gay bishop (a series of events that would lend most legitimacy to the cause), what they are doing now is confirming a bishop who openly fornicates. Is this what passes for holy nowadays?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The other option is you say God makes mistakes.
            Who are you to question ?
            I'm sure He had a plan, and I for one won't question God.

Comment

Given that the general view is that humans (even Bishops ) sin all the time, and that God forgives those sins if we ask Him to, I'm sure the Episcopalians can manage to adapt and survive.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Bingo.

HA! Listen to this.
                The Southern Rednecks have their stuff together more than the enlightened Yankees.

Comment

I'm sure the Episcopalians can manage to adapt and survive
                  Of course, they can do what they see fit. I've no dog in this hunt.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    I'm uncomfortable with it too. Instead of proclaiming that homosexual acts aren't sins, then recognizing gay marriage, and lastly allowing a gay bishop (a series of events that would lend most legitimacy to the cause), what they are doing now is confirming a bishop who openly fornicates. Is this what passes for holy nowadays?
                    Why do you think he openly fornicates? Being gay means that you are attracted to the same sex. It does not mean that you spend all of your time having sex with the same sex. Heterosexuals don't do that, and I'm sure there are probably a fair number those with the position of Bishop.

Thank you MtG, I was going to say that. According to Christianity, everyone's a sinner, and it can't be helped. Why is this sin focused on so much?
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Why do you think he openly fornicates?
                      I was under the impression that he lived with his lover.

Comment

hmmm I'm a bit uncomfortable with gay bishops
                        AH - all Bishops are already gay, so I guess it just makes you uncomfortable to have it actually confirmed...
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Bingo.

HA! Listen to this.
                          The Southern Rednecks have their stuff together more than the enlightened Yankees.

hey

I think it's fabulous that we finally have a gay bishop in a Christian denomination. A slap in the face for all the bigots out there.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

the real question

Is it good for the Jews?

well on the one hand anything that advances tolerance, treating people as individuals, etc is good.

On the other hand the threat of losing a "moderate" protestant denomination, possibly to see it split into a left-wing group (do we need another one of those?) and a right wing group (do we need another one of those?) is bad

On the other hand, the left wing and right wing products of a schism are likely to be less attractive for Jews assimilating/converting out than the original unsplit church But the appeal of the Episcopal church in particular probably has little to do with Jews assimilating/converting out.

WRT to Israel : a left wing product of schism would probably join the left wing protestant anti-israel consensus But then the current Episcopal church is pretty much there already = a schism might liberate a pro-Israel right wing church (at least in the US) which is otherwise hidden, and would be more sensible then pro-Israel fundie churches On the other hand would even right wing anglicans be pro-Israel?
                            And would right wing anglicans be tempted into union with Rome - what would THAT mean for the Jews?

Altogether too many variables to say.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

(sigh) i will never, ever, ever understand why being gay or straight is such an issue for so many people.

in the grand scheme of things, with the universe explosively expanding and human life's pace accelerating, this is like getting caught at one tiny little bend and then facing horrible shearing effects.
                              B♭3

Comment

It is not the mountain that wears out the man, but the grain of sand in his pumps.
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X