Another Senseless Act of Bigotry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butternuts, boy.
    Yeah, mine will melt in your mouth, *****!

:runs for dear life:
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Oh crap, Sava

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Um, Episcopalian clergy are allowed to marry and have sex. Since marriage isn't an option yet for gays, Robinson's 13-year monogamous relationship with his partner is certainly, as far as I can see, as good. Add to that the fact that they are considering adopting a same-sex union ceremony, I think that it's well within their guidelines and standards to have a bishop who is gay. It's up to the denomination's faithful to determine what they want, and such democracy is hardly objectionable, as far as I can see.
        He fornicates and everybody knows it. I wouldn't bust his balls about it, if he were lay and didn't have such a high teaching position in the church.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

On the other hand, the left wing and right wing products of a schism are likely to be less attractive for Jews assimilating/converting out than the original unsplit church But the appeal of the Episcopal church in particular probably has little to do with Jews assimilating/converting out.
          Are you kidding? The Episcopal Church is so small that Jews in the US out-number us by at least 2 to 1. By random chance it is more likley that an Episcopal will convert to Judaism than vice versa.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

So the least protestant of protestant churches (they have bishops, no?) did this....yeah, shows how enlightened protestants are Doc..
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
              So the least protestant of protestant churches (they have bishops, no?) did this....yeah, shows how enlightened protestants are Doc..
              Hey, people are continually lumping us in with the rest.

If a preacher from some small fundamentalist sect comes to, let's say Australia and makes a row about creationism he's labeled a typical protestant, right? But if another protestant church does something revolutionary, well then that's obviously an anomaly that should be ignored, right? Don't mind me, I'm just checking on how enlightened your thinking is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                Yeah, mine will melt in your mouth, *****!

:runs for dear life:
                Ohhhh, Savita mariquita, you wish.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

sadly, I do...
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Hey, people are continually lumping us in with the rest.

If a preacher from some small fundamentalist sect comes to, let's say Australia and makes a row about creationism he's labeled a typical protestant, right? But if another protestant church does something revolutionary, well then that's obviously an anomaly that should be ignored, right? Don't mind me, I'm just checking on how enlightened your thinking is.

No one I know would lump that freak in with the protestants, but with the evangelicals. Now, if you are an evangelicals, my condolences.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

No one I know would lump that freak in with the protestants, but with the evangelicals. Now, if you are an evangelicals, my condolences.
                      IMO, a true Christian has to believe in things like creationism, if not, you don't believe in the Bible, and you admit it is not true, thereby proving that your religion is false.

Now, you can still believe in God without being a hypocrit, but you certainly cannot believe in Jesus and NOT believe in creationism without being hypocritical.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

IMO, a true Christian has to believe in things like creationism, if not, you don't believe in the Bible, and you admit it is not true, thereby proving that your religion is false.

Now, you can still believe in God without being a hypocrit, but you certainly cannot believe in Jesus and NOT believe in creationism without being hypocritical.
                        Spoken like a true radical fundie! IIRC the Roman Ctholic Church officially gave it's recognition to evolutionary theory over a decade ago, so you are by logical conclusion, implying that Catholics aren't Christian. Ahhhhh, that reminds me of the good old days when I was 8 and had just moved down south. I was shocked that so many of my (predominantly fundamentalist) classmates disapproved of the election of John Kennedy to the presidency because they believed, as you, that Catholics couldn't rally be considered Christians.

Comment

I've never heard of an anti-Israeli Episcopalian group. I doubt there's any real threat of that deverloping,
                          Perhaps my definition is different - I didnt mean one that calls explicitly for the destruction of Israel, but one that follows the National Council of Churches line of establishing moral equivalence between terrorism on the one hand, and Isaeli actions on the other. Perhaps i should have said "biased against Israel" or something like that, i was using a shorthand.

I would have to look up PECUSA or NCC statements to demonstrate what i mean. On the other hand i dont want to threadjack this to another mideast politics thread.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

the pope has stated that evolution is part of god's master plan.
                            furthermore, the catholic church holds that the bible is not to be taken literally necessarily, particularly many of the books such as revelations.

now, sava, if you want to say then that catholics are not christian, you are placing yourself in the same group with radical and not-so-radical christian fundamentalist groups such as the southern baptists, extremist mormons, and others.
                            B♭3

Comment

OK, but let's hear no more foaming at the mouth rants about closed-minded protestants from you.
                              Please. Episcopalians aren't protestants; they're Catholics who haven't worked through their Oedipal crisis yet. I heartily salute the new bishop, but neither you nor he can take away my God-given right to mock Baptists.
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Can you show me where in the New Testament Christ tells us that the Bible is literally true?
                                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X