• Show
Clear All

"mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      Why wouldn't Apple's viewpoint be considered "the other side of the story"? I don't understand.
      Because it's a side of the story already presented by the stupid TV ads they show.

The new G5 is a cheese grater with an adequate CPU, but certainly not the "fastest personal computer".

Do you honestly expect a VP of Apple not to add spin to everything he says? Do you honestly expect him to go against the company line?

Remember, it was the IBM engineers of the G5 chip that made jokes about Apple's "reality distortion field".
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So when is the next generation of Intel chips comming out?
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

October 28th.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Hmm... I could build a new desktop now, and settle for a 3.20 GHz chip... I could wait a semester and build a much better computer... or I could wait a semester and build a computer with a P-IV at a much reduced price because the new chips are out... hmm... decisions, decisions.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

the truth about the G5 is this, it is the first chip that allows the Mac platform to approach the P4 in performace. I honestly think that the G5 is an extremely fast computer, faster than a p4 or the next gen intel? maybe, but I'll wait till we have Real world programs instead of benchmarks to see which one is better. regardless, this is a massive leap forward in performance over the G4s. I think that the truth will lie in how fast IBM can ramp up the speed of these chips.

Honestly I think the G5 will be shown to be the most competitive system apple''s made in a long time, beat some intel machines, probably not, but at least its in shooting distance.

Comment

In both the SPEC benchmarks and NASA benchmarks which have been shown (100% of the G5 benchmarks we know about thus far), the G5s look to perform on par with year-old P4s. That's still really fast, but Apple's marketing machine is going overboard with it.

Plus, shortly after the G5 comes out, the P5 comes out anyway, which will only widen the gap.

Comment

Working...
                X