No announcement yet.

Asher, you have any information on G5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asher, you have any information on G5?

I saw a commercial for this and Apple claims it is the "fastest personal computer in the world". As I know this is just part of its BS advertisement campaign I would like to see documentation comparing the G5 with comparable AMD/Intel machines.

Thanks.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

This has been discussed and debunked before.

It's bull****, although it certainly is fast.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

if you're not careful it will BLOW YOU THROUGH YOUR WALLS :O maybe i'd get one if it came with a drywall repair kit

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        This has been discussed and debunked before.

It's bull****, although it certainly is fast.
        I know that.. I just want to see benchmarks and stuff comparing Intel with it... could you pull any up for me?
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

AFAIK, most experts think it will be the fastest computer to be released for at least ten years.
          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

its so fast that when u run it god will appear to u on the screen.

now thats fast.

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
              AFAIK, most experts think it will be the fastest computer to be released for at least ten years.
              Again more crap. It isn't the fastest out there.

Comment

Apple based the claim on the SPEC CPU 2000 benchmark.

IBM and Apple have been heavily optimizing the GCC compiler for the G5 for a long time now.
                Intel optimizes its own Intel compiler rather than GCC.

So Apple saw this, thought it'd make a brilliant marketing move -- we can compile both using the same compiler, because 99.9% of people won't know that GCC sucks for Pentium 4 code. But just to be safe, they disabled SSE2 (which is a huge performance booster, akin to the G5's AltiVec) because they claimed it reduced performance (bull****).

Anyway:
                Apple's performance claims:
                2GHz G5: fp: 840, int: 800
                3.06GHz Xeon:fp: 646, int: 836
                3.0GHz P4: fp: 693, int: 889

But, unfortunately, when you don't cripple Intel's chips, it kinda spanks the G5. The following numbers are official and from SPEC.org, the official SPEC websites, and they've been checked for validity (note: Apple did not submit their scores).

3.06GHz Xeon: fp: 1173, int: 1242
                3.0GHz P4: fp: 1229, int: 1151
                3.2GHz P4: fp: 1267, int: 1205
                Last edited by Martin Gühmann; September 7, 2012, 12:53.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                  Please tell me this is a joke.

Comment

Yeah I just found this site: http://www.aceshardware.com/read_news.jsp?id=75000384

"Perhaps the biggest threat to Apple's performance claims is not compilers, but time. The Power Mac G5s are scheduled to ship in August, but Intel has already introduced the 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 this week, while both Athlon 64 and Prescott are on the horizon. The true performance test will lie in a wide array of application-level benchmarks, affording some perspective to users for how well the applications they use will perform."

Monkspider, I think you should retract your statement.

Comment

That's what I heard as well. The piece I saw said that the G5 is so powerful that it will easily be the fastest computer on the planet until quantum computers are perfected, which might be able to dethrone it.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

All that power from both computers is nice, but is there any real reason to purchase either chip in the immidiate future? Sure, eventually itll become standard requirements to nearly every intesnse program, but....
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

That's what I heard as well. The piece I saw said that the G5 is so powerful that it will easily be the fastest computer on the planet until quantum computers are perfected, which might be able to dethrone it.
                          My link proves that is bull****.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                            All that power from both computers is nice, but is there any real reason to purchase either chip in the immidiate future? Sure, eventually itll become standard requirements to nearly every intesnse program, but....
                            haha a cable modem is the most noticable feature for any normal computer user. the only reason to increase performance is eventually the programmers will make the word processor and operating system programs so bloated that they will drag down ur computer.

Comment

I think Drake was joking, Fez.

Comment

Working...
                              X