Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nightmare Scenario: Over a thousand dead US soldiers and a bill of around $125bn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But Realists see power as the cause of war, and Idealists see economic causes. That's what I remember from polisci, but that was before the day of the neo-cons. How are neocons liberals?

Say what? Liberals don't see economic causes as the sole cause of war! Liberals look at the whole picture and see many causes to war.. some economic, some power based, etc. The primary motivator for Liberals to make everyone a liberal democracy and relatively peaceful. Regular liberals wish to do this through international cooperation and organizations. Neoconservatives (also known as 'hard Wilsonians'), also wish to spread democracy, but prefer to do it by force.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Personally I am enjoying this 50 cents per gallon gas.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        But Realists see power as the cause of war, and Idealists see economic causes. That's what I remember from polisci, but that was before the day of the neo-cons. How are neocons liberals?

Say what? Liberals don't see economic causes as the sole cause of war! Liberals look at the whole picture and see many causes to war.. some economic, some power based, etc. The primary motivator for Liberals to make everyone a liberal democracy and relatively peaceful. Regular liberals wish to do this through international cooperation and organizations. Neoconservatives (also known as 'hard Wilsonians'), also wish to spread democracy, but prefer to do it by force.
        gotcha
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
          Personally I am enjoying this 50 cents per gallon gas.
          *******! I still pay over $2.
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

gotcha

No... you really didn't.

Unless you mean the part about Liberals wishing for things to be relatively peaceful. So do NeoCons... after they are done changing everyone over (that's the reason for their force).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              gotcha

No... you really didn't.

Unless you mean the part about Liberals wishing for things to be relatively peaceful. So do NeoCons... after they are done changing everyone over (that's the reason for their force).
              Well true, I don't believe that neocons trully believe in peace, but I understand how they define themselves.

Comment

So the neocons are kind of like the communists trying to spread their world revolution then?
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                  So the neocons are kind of like the communists trying to spread their world revolution then?
                  Well the communists have invaded other countries, but generally they let the capitalist nations fall by themselves.

Comment

I'm talking about ideology, not practice.
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Treason requires action, or do you want to start rooting out and punishing thought crime?
                      Ever heard of "conspiracy to murder American citizens"?

Originally posted by Hueij

Oh my god, here I am thinking McCarthey was dead already... Glad I'm not American...
                      Come on, it's a BAD thing we punish people who wish us dead?

Originally posted by Agathon

What if I was a German dissenter in WWII?
                      Then it would be treason. It would also be wrong, because wishing Germans dead is the wrong way to handle it. Wishing them stopped is. Killing them may be the only means to that end, but it is not an end in and of itself.

As many US soldiers dead as it takes to oust Bush from power in 2004. If none are required for him to lose the election, then I hope no more die, if 1,000 deaths is what it takes, 1,000 soldiers is a small price to pay for freedom.
                      a) you sicko

b) you creep

c) you are wishing people dead for purely political reasons? YOU HYPOCRITE. And people complain that bush doesn't care about soldiers' lives....

d) you should be wishing for Iraq to go as well as possible. Isn't it better to be wrong, but for good stuff to happen, than to be right, and bad stuff happen? What this really is is your insufferable pride, and your inability to ever admit you are wrong.

Comment

Yeah, basically. Not surpising because of the founders of the NeoConservative movement were all former Trotskyists .

Comment

I can't believe all you drunk bozos answered seriously to a MOBIUS thread.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker

Ever heard of "conspiracy to murder American citizens"?

Idle talk doesn't ammount to conspiracy, except in a police state.

Come on, it's a BAD thing we punish people who wish us dead?

Yes.

Then it would be treason. It would also be wrong, because wishing Germans dead is the wrong way to handle it. Wishing them stopped is. Killing them may be the only means to that end, but it is not an end in and of itself.

a) you sicko

b) you creep
                            Until the democratic party grows a spine, this is the best chance to be rid of Bush.

c) you are wishing people dead for purely political reasons? YOU HYPOCRITE. And people complain that bush doesn't care about soldiers' lives....
                            How does wishing the death of war criminals make me a hypocrite? I don't criticise Bush for not caring about the soldier's lives. I let other people do that and enjoy the resulting political gains. Frankly, I care more for Iraqi civilians than for an American soldier. They did not chose to start this war. American soldiers may not have chosen this either, but they share the guilt by following orders.

d) you should be wishing for Iraq to go as well as possible. Isn't it better to be wrong, but for good stuff to happen, than to be right, and bad stuff happen? What this really is is your insufferable pride, and your inability to ever admit you are wrong.
                            But I am right, you clearly have not read/understood my sig
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

HEY! Not my fault. I've never seen him before (being relatively new). *pouts*

EDIT: in response to DanS

Comment

I'm talking about ideology, not practice.
                                Then no. Not at all. Communism as an ideology does not call for communist nations to attack capitalist nations.

Comment

Working...
                                X