No announcement yet.

The Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VetLegion: Well, Das Boot and Stalingrad are not sooo old. But you´re right, they do not make war movies here quite often - mainly a question of money, not many movies here have a big budget (which you need for good war movies).
    Blah

Comment

If we're going to include Braveheart, a semi-fictional account, then I nominate Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Comment

Oh and I thought it is primarily about 20century wars.

Gladiator is certainly great too
        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          "Glory" is one of my all time favorites... Too bad Matthew Brodric has turned into such a pansy though.
          GIVE 'EM HELL 54!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Oooh, I forgot all about "Star Wars". Then does "Dune" count? That's gets my vote.
            -30-

Comment

I'm not much into war movies, but I would recommend a somewhat overlooked classic war/commando movie, Where Eagles Dare with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood, great movie.

I also liked The Killing Fields, but that's not really a war movie, although there's still plenty of human suffering and desperation in it...

Comment

Maybe I'm biased because I saw it 4 hours ago, but "The Last Lieutenant" is ****ing good. It's about the first days of WW2 in Norway. some info:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...836516-4847201
                CSPA

Comment

Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down... only because they belong to the "realistic" club in terms of accurate portrayal of combat. All those old movies are silly. The John Wayne ones suck to high heaven.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

yeah das boot is great
                    CSPA

Comment

I thought Das Boot was kind of lame...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

have you seen it?
                        CSPA

Comment

have you seen it?
                          uhh yeah...
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The best thing about Das Boot was the music.

Comment

DP
                              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

IRT The Thin Red Line was pretty much a poetry reading set in WWII.

Tigerland was compelling from the perspective of troops preparing to go to 'Nam. Collin Farrell was superb as Roland Boggs...
                                If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Working...
                                X