The Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best War Movie

Again I should make a poll, but .. I'm lazy.

My all time favourite is apocalypse now. I think it's a great masterpiece. My favourite moment is when they attack with those choppers to the village and when they put on the ride of the valkyries and Lt. Col. William 'Bill' Kilgore is explaining how they are scared of it. The song is so powerful, and it fits perfectly to the scene.

It shows how crazy people can go under certain circumtances.. and the battle of good and evil inside a man. It doesn't have many combat scenes, but it has great dialogues and it's.. well a masterpiece!
    I thought the redux was good too, maybe even better if you are not busy because it's long.

Otherwise I'd say Band of Brothers, but it doesn't count because it's mini series..
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Apocopalypse Now (Redux) is an absolute masterpiece.

"I will not harm you, Lance. Just please return the board."
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Band of Brothers ruled
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I liked platoon and full metal jacket, but apocalypse now kicks some nasty ass man!

no mans land is pretty good too (but you guys won't know that one, it's not an american movie)
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

ice cold in alex has always been a personal favorite of mine.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Ted Striker, I just told you BoB doesn't count, you bugger!

Trajanus, yeah, I like those movies very much too. It was a tough choice between Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now (redux).
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

paths of glory, apocalyupse now, and the treatment war got in the meaning of life, by the monty pythons was a good as any imo.
              eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

The Great Escape.
                Good morning, Vietnam.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The Longest Day - nothing beats John Wayne
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

the dirty dozen was kinda fun too
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

No one has mentioned Saving Private Ryan.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Also 'Savior' is a good movie too. Dennis Quaid makes a powerful role and acting.
                        It's about this guy played by Dennis, whose family is killed in Germany(?) in terrorist bombing, done by some muslim dude. Dennis is American military guy, and he gets really pissed and runs to first mosque he finds and starts shooting. Then he realizes what he has just done, and his friend gets involved too. Then they have to make a run for it, and end up in the French Foreign Legion.
                        THey realize, that they can't come back just yet, so they go and volunteer to do some fighting in Bosnia. Now that is a real ****hole with all civilian murders etc.. It's just crazy and sad.

It doesn't have lots of fighting, but it's a very good movie. It doesn't portray other side as good and other as bad, but rather both bad. Or better yet, that there are no good sides, and that both do horrible things. Finally, he thinks about things and just falls apart.
                        I recommend this movie.
                        In da butt.

Comment

What, no Delta Force?!!?
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

saving private ryan was kind of disappointing actually... I was absolutely freaked out with the corny story

Comment

the line "angels on our shoulders" after the tank blew up was pretty bad

Comment

Working...
                              X