No announcement yet.

The Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Das Boat was a good naval story told from the German point of view.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Lawrence of Arabia was very good too.

Comment

Not enough death and destruction in Lawrence of Arabia. Plus Lawrence was a bit on the psycho side with his god complex.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

saving private ryan was IMO pretty good because of the combat scenes that were good. One of the best scenes I've ever seen, looked kind of realistic, even though I've never seen real combat so I can't compare. Other than that, it was average. Doesn't even come close to Apocalypse now (redux)!

It's pretty funny, that perhaps two of the biggest Vietnam movies, Platoon and Apocalypse now, the stars are father and son.. martin and charlie sheen.

In Platoon theres good thing going on between Elias and Barnes.. and then people just being divided between them.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Das Boot is a helluva good movie..

the intensity of the life in a primitive submarine.. how people behave in such conditions etc... great piece of art
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I don't know if this counts as a war movie but The Man Who Would Be King was really good.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Agreed. Das Boot is great.. Though it focuses on facial expressions for about 1.5 hours, it's still great. It shows the horror in the men pretty good.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

SPR wins for best combat footage filmed by people who have never been in combat before*.

To name one not listed, though it is kind of dated now in some themes and cultural assumptions is Bridge on the River Kwai. Today anybody making a movie about British superiority in engineering and manufacturing over the Japanese will get laughed out of the box office.

*Most probably not true, but true for most of the principals.

Comment

Uh oh, now I remember. We Were Soldiers.. now there's some great combat scenes too! Plus I like it better than SPR in other things as well. I think it's one helluva movie.
                    Favourite scene is where choppers comes and shoots the (don't know english word) mark so the planes can shoot napalm.. that's impressive. I mean technically, not that people burn because of it. It's just one big explosions.

Also the leading of Gibson is quite realistic I believe, and that kind of battles are rare to be in movies where you can see the whole area and see how he commands his troops at all times.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Paths of Glory
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

I saw a very good movie about winter war. It got me flamed on many a internet board because I claimed that Finns won, based on knowledge from it

There are very good so called 'partisan movies' from ex-Yugoslavia, but I doubt anyone heard of them.

Of american films... apocalypse now is good, we were soldiers is good..

anyone seen that one where a russian T-72 is fleeing afghanistan, chased by the locals? interesting.

Comment

Pearl Harbour

Not really
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

"A Bridge Too Far." Best WW2 movie I've seen.

The old black-and-white "All Quiet on the Western Front" is also excellent.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Another vote for Lawrence of Arabia.

Comment

Austin Powers in: Goldmember!

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're all thinking: not a war movie.

Ok, how about "Hitler Sucks"?
                                Or maybe, "Fvck Off, Puritan!"
                                -30-

Comment

Working...
                                X