Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the 'Lakota' become the 'Sioux'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smirnoff Ice is good for whites and Amerindians.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I don't understand where the term Amerindians came from. They're not Indians! India is a subcontinent in the south of Asia. These people don't live there; these people inhabit the American continents.

We called them Indians because of a mistake made five hundred years ago. Why do we perpetuate that mistake by smooshing together two words? Native Americans seems perfectly fine to me. I know those of the US would never give up the name American.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

AmeriIndians is some stupidass thing MrFun originated in his quest to be enlightened.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

You rarely make me laugh, Sloww. In fact, more often than not, you piss the hell outa me.

Everybody has a role to play. I'm just successful.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I always say American Indians... Native Americans can get confusing... for example, in history class, when you got to talk about the 19th century, native americans can mean either people like the cherokee or it could mean the anglos who were here before large scale european immigration. the teacher once said the native americans were hostile to the irish immigrants and half the people in the class thought the indians hated the irish and couldn't figure out why.

so American Indians is the best term... besides, i believe that the majority of american indians do call themselves indians when they're talking about indians as a whole (and not a specific tribe).

thanks
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I've never heard the term Native American used that way.

And Sloww, I was complimenting you! You did say something that made me laugh, despite your ability to boil my blood.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Lorizael:

say what? what do you call someone born in a country and lived there their whole life? there's native englishmen... so there's native americans.

the US also has the whole immigration thing that many countries don't have so you need ther term 'native' even more just to differentiate between the anglos and the irish, italian, etc. immigrants. what else would you call them but native americans?
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Since the name has been around forever, most Indians refer to themselves and each other as Indians. Native American is generally looked down on as PC nonsense.

Even the most radical major Indian political movement was named the American Indian Movement.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Were the Cheyanne related the Lakhota is some way, or just sometime allies?
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

There's no linguistic relation at all between Tsitsista (Cheyenne) and the Dakhota language.

They were unusually close allies once they moved to the plains.
                      Originally, both groups lived in the southern and central Minnesota area, and fought each other and the Ojibway incessently, competing over resources. As they moved further out in the plains, the northern Tsitsista informally allied with the Teton, most likely since they were both relative newcomers competing against other groups, and their newly nomadic and highly mobile existence lessened competition with each other.

Eventually, it was common for them to have adjoining camps in winter, intermarriage (otherwise frowned on - marriages between separate nations in pre-reservation times were rare), even some adoptions into clans and societies.

Southern Tsitsista eventually moved further south into the central plains, where they maintained ties with the northern Tsitsista and to a lesser extent the Teton. The southern Tsitsista developed a closer alliance with the Inuna-ina (Arapaho), another Minnesota migrant to the plains. There's not much to indicate any ties with the Inuna-ina (edit - before the migration to the plains was essentially completed) since they were native to northern Minnesota and migrated later (beginning of the 18th century)
                      Last edited by MichaeltheGreat; June 29, 2003, 17:50.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Thanks MtG . So, and I know I'm whittling it down horribly, it is a kinda mentality that everyone is connected to each other and the land, and all difficulty will pass and things will return to normal?

I actually just got the 4-hour DWW special edition. I'll see if the additional time adds some more of the stuff you've spoken about.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                          Were the Cheyanne related the Lakhota is some way, or just sometime allies?
                          They were allies at the Little Bighorn (at the Indian Camp that Custer attacked - well attempted to attack) and were at Wa****a. I'd have to look up the rest.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            hold on, I'm gonna open my open and ask "ARE THERE ANY RUSSIANS OUT THERE TO CORRECT MY PRONOUNCIATION!!??"

It's not BS Imran. Why do you argue with historical fact? It's not like I'm the only person in the world who knows America commited mass genocide. Most people just don't like to admit it.
                            God, I knew the overuse of the term genocide was going to have unpleasant consequences. Now people are using compound terms like "mass genocide" above, just to make it seem bigger and badder. Genocide is supposed to be big and bad, so lets quit using it for shoving matches in the Shoney's parking lot and such, please.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              Smirnoff Ice is good for whites and Amerindians.
                              Careful, you don't want to get busted for selling ice-water to the Indians, or for that matter, pissing off two groups of people with your lies.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X