Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the 'Lakota' become the 'Sioux'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did the 'Lakota' become the 'Sioux'?

Now, English is known for butchering place names (I guess every civilization is, really), such as calling Mumbai, Bombay... but usually it is within the realm of reason... except one:

How in the Hell do we get 'Sioux' from 'Lakota'? I've been wondering about this, but never posted the query until I just got the Special Edition DVD of 'Dances with Wolves'. Anyone got an answer?

(Yes, I know, this has MtG's name all over it ).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Spin doctors and a good PR campaign.

EDIT: I could be wrong... but I think the Lakota were part of the Sioux nation. Sometimes a "tribe" had a lot of sub tribes in it...
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I could be wrong... but I think the Lakota were part of the Sioux nation. Sometimes a "tribe" had a lot of sub tribes in it...

Perhaps, but a lot of places I see it both terms as interchangable. Perhaps that is an error of English too .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Isn't Sioux the french name for them?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Sioux is a Tribe. Lakota is a clan within the Tribe structure.
          Many Tribes were this way, including the Apache and Comanche.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This isn't about Sioux, since Sioux weren't in Texas, but you'll see reference to sub-groups.

For millennia, various tribes of Native Americans occupied the region that is now Texas. They were as diverse in culture as the geography of Texas itself. The following is a very brief overview of the major tribes that existed at the time of the first European exploration: The Caddos in the east and northeast Texas
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Sioux is a Tribe. Lakota is a clan within the Tribe structure.
              Many Tribes were this way, including the Apache and Comanche.
              bbbbzzzzzzztttt!! The Entire nation refered to themselves as "The Lakota".

I suspect they came to be know as the Sioux the same way a bunch of Tribes got their names for the Anglos...

White Explorer: 'Kay, ....and what's the names of the guys over the mountains?

Indian: You mean the Babyeating Horse-rapers who piss upstream?

WE: How do you spell that?

Indian: "Sioux"
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

but isnt Sioux french? I doubt any anglo settlers would have heard, "Sue" and spelt it like Sioux...
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Sioux is a shortened form of a name french trappers gave them on initial contact with the eastern Lakhota (more accurate to the pronunciation.) It was a bastardization of a Ojibway word "nadowisou" meaning "snake" or "enemy." Originally it was pronounced something like Nadeausioux or something like that, then just shortened to "Sioux." Early American mountain men often referred to them as "snakes" in English, having learned the Ojibway meaning in trading with the Ojibway and learning some of their language.

There were seven original tribes (the Oceti sakowin) in the Dakhota nation, originally native to the Minnesota woods and lakes. As they migrated south and west, their language split into three dialects, and several of the original tribes split further as they moved apart during the majority of the year. Many of those are further traditionally split along clan lines into separate bands. The US simply lumped all speakers of the Dakhota language under the category Sioux, which doesn't really make much sense, considering their diversity of lifestyle and range of habitat - from nomadic plains hunters, to riverside farmers who hunted supplementally, to forest hunter/gatherers and fishermen.

The three main dialects of the Dakhota language are Dakhota, Nakhota and Lakhota (by far the most commonly spoken, and the one I know to some extent). Dakhota is spoken by the eastern "woodland" tribes known as the Isanyati (Santee) (Isanyati is the Dakhota dialect name, Lakhota call them Isanti). They are the four tribes of the Isanyati - the Mdewakantonwan (Spirit Lake people), Wahpekute (Shooters among the leaves), Sissetonwan (Fishing grounds people) and Wahpehtonwan (People who dwell amont the leaves). These names all pretty much show their Minnesota lake and forest origins.

The Wiceyala, were the eastern plains tribes (Nakhota speaking) of the Yanktonai, and Yankton. Nakhota is almost a dead dialect, due to reservations shuffling of the survivors of these two bands into Teton (Plains dwellers) reservations.

The Lakhota dialect speakers (Teton) are the best known because of their leaders and the general pain in the ass they were to the US Army and politicians, from Mahpiua Luta (Red Cloud) an Itesica clan Oglala, Tashunka Witko (means Dancing Horse, but mistranslated as Crazy Horse, son of an Oglala father and Sicangu mother, Pizi (Gall), leader of the Hunkpapa at the Little Bighorn, and of course, Tatanka Iyotanka, aka Sitting Bull, an Hunkpapa later elected great chief of all the Teton.

They are the Oglala (Dust scatterers), Sicangu (also known as Brule from another foreign bastardization) (Burnt thighs), Hunkpapa (End of the circle - from their position in the great nation encampments as the guards), Miniconjou (Stream side planters), Sihisapa (Blackfeet, but this is not the same as the tribe in Idaho/Wyoming known as Blackfeet), Itazipacola (named by the French trappers Sans Arc - without bows, the same meaning as the Lakhota name), Oohenupa (Two kettles).

Although the reservation system has completely changed and jumbled their different original lifestyles and they speak similar very similar dialects of a common language, it's extremely inaccurate to consider them a single tribe or nation as is commonplace now.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                    Sioux is a shortened form of a name french trappers gave them on initial contact with the eastern Lakhota (more accurate to the pronunciation.) It was a bastardization of a Ojibway word meaning "snake" or "enemy." Early American mountain men often referred to them as "snakes."
                    BAM! Hole in one, Lonestar.
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

MtG:

why do i got a feeling that you didn't just copy and paste that but pulled that out of your memory? that would be pretty damn amazing if you knew that without looking it up.

Comment

Basically, yeah.

Quite often we learned one tribe's pet name for it's enemies. Although I don't know of any quite called the "Babyeating horse-rapers who piss upstream."

The Oglalla clan names for themselves are pretty entertaining though.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Sioux is a shortened form of a name french trappers gave them
                          Hole in one, Albert

Comment

Thank you, MtG . I knew this was a question that had your name on it .

Comment

How did the 'Lakota' become the 'Sioux'?
                              The United States massacred all of them and then forgot what their real name was.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X