Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the 'Lakota' become the 'Sioux'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We call Deutschland Germany...
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Why do you argue with historical fact?

Because it isn't historical fact that we call them Sioux because they aren't around to correct us anymore. Like Speer said, we call Deutschland Germany, also Mumbai Bombay, Nippon Japan, etc, even though they are all around to correct us.

So that explination and attempt to try to make your point relevant to the OP total fails.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        Bravo! Perhaps that's because America killed off all of the buffalo as well.
        I had some very good buffalo meat a couple of weeks ago. Yum. Good for you, too - more protein and less fat than beef. Too bad they're all killed off, though. BTW, there are at least a couple of isolated areas where herds of them still run wild.

Yeah, I've been to Native reservations, I've seen the utter poverty they live in.
        Good for you. There are different kinds of poverty, and every group/reservation is different. You're looking at it all from a washichu perspective though, so you still don't know squat.

So? Funny, can I murder someone and then use the defense, "But there are tens of thousands of other murders so it must be okay."? wake up and smell what you're shoveling mtg.
        I don't see you moving your washichu ass back to Europe.
        So much for action in accordance with your moralizing. Displacing people off land you wanted was historical reality. It happened all over the world. Whether it's "right" or "wrong" is meaningless - right now, it simply "is." Not allowing it from this point forward is a different matter, but carping over conduct from 400 years ago to 120 years ago really doesn't accomplish much. Ennobling the natives as innocent victims is as ridiculous as demonizing them.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

i dont know about the plains indians, but weren't many native groups very militant and aggressive? ironic that Sava seems to have this "noble savage" idea that was created back in the 18th and 19th centuries but since disproven.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

SPEER AND SAVA!

One more threadjack post by either of you in any thread this weekend, and your ass will be gone for a week.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Displacing people off of land and murdering them is wrong. I pity you until you can realize this.

EDIT: x-post...

my posts aren't off-topic, btw...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Jeez, this thread has gotten out of hand. MtG, if you simply want to close it and ignore my question, I have no problems with that at all .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  Jeez, this thread was just supposed to be about trying to find out what the deal was with a different name.

I'll try another (nicer) threadjack. If this doesn't work, I'll ask to close it .

MtG: What did you think of the Lakhota's portrayl in 'Dances with Wolves' and other modern films dealing with Natives? What would you change about their depiction?
                  The whole "white" side of DWW was pretty whack, but any time you have a lot of native actors (notice you almost never see them any more, the fad is over), they collectively tend to enforce a resonably accurate view.

Wes Studi (Cherokee), Rodney Grant (Omaha), and Graham Greene (Oneida) are not only actors, but they're fluent native speakers in their own languages and activists, so they tended to pick and choose projects, and impose a lot of requirements for things like native language coaches and native historical consultants.

The biggest problems with DWW and similar films (Last of the Mohicans falls in this category, although I'd hold Walter Hill's Geronimo in a separate category) is that they have to be paced for commercial movie audiences. As such, you can't really let the story follow it's natural pace, it has to be forced along, and you can't look at too much detail.

Lakhota traditional family structure is very complex, so DWW didn't get into that at all. Camps tended to rather less clean and sanitary than was shown - basically, all the garbage was dumped on the landside away from whatever stream you camped at, and you went to do your body functions there too, so eventually, the number of flies and the smell forced you to move. Until you got to that point though, camp was pretty rank, unless you had good steady winds.

The democratic nature (excluding women) of the councils was well shown, but compressed. One thing you learn dealing with tribal councils is not to be in a hurry - they have time schedules, and some try to be "governmental" but when you get to informal meetings, you're on Indian time. And time is something they have a lot of.

For a general telling of the native world view at a more native pace, I like Geronimo (the Walter Hill version with Wes Studi and Rodney Grant). The "feel" is a lot more right than something like Mohicans or DWW, which were told from largely white perspectives.

Even though Geronimo is nominally told around the perspective of Lt. Charles Gatewood, Gatewood himself had practically "gone native" in his view and mannerisms, although he was an excellent officer and extremely well-respected cavalry leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    Displacing people off of land and murdering them is wrong. I pity you until you can realize this.

EDIT: x-post...

my posts aren't off-topic, btw...
                    I determine that, not you, and when you bring Hitler, Palestinians and such into a thread about Indian culture and names, that's pretty far off topic.

If you want to start a generic historical genocide thread, be my guest.

Comment

Because it isn't historical fact that we call them Sioux because they aren't around to correct us anymore. Like Speer said, we call Deutschland Germany, also Mumbai Bombay, Nippon Japan, etc, even though they are all around to correct us.
                      You think that Ancient Egyptians called themselves "Egyptians"? Of course not. The fact that they aren't here to correct us IS RELEVANT. Your other examples have other explanations that are equally valid. To deny my explanation simply because there are other, unrelated cases, is well... you connect the dots.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        MtG: What did you think of the Lakhota's portrayl in 'Dances with Wolves' and other modern films dealing with Natives? What would you change about their depiction?
                        Here's another direction - to give you an idea of (some of) the native mindset. Of course they're different from group to group, and some have become more white (apples if you want to be nasty) in their way of dealing at least with the outside world, but I've had a few "interesting" experiences.

Once, with the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe, I was working as a consultant evaluating development proposals. The Fort Mojave straddle the Colorado river, on the Cali, Arizona and Nevada sides, and due to their treaty status, they have relatively large riparian water rights from the Colorado, which supersede state riparian rights. That means their land is prime development country.

They had three different developer groups wanting to do a Lake Havasu style resort/golf course/boating development. Get a tribal council meeting, and you've got all these developers in their suits, etc. So the meeting site gets moved, to this tribal government branch office (trailers), in the middle of the dustiest-assed cornfields you've ever seen. No air conditioning, of course. The yuppie developers go on about all the great things they're going to do for the Indians, and how great and harmonious and blah blah blah their development is going to be. One at a time, one for each state side of the reservation. Naturally, they ignore the tribe's desires for potential development, and want to sell their own version.

Finally, the tribal chairman asks if he can ask them something jointly. They all say yes, so he says in this totally deadpan voice "I understand golf is a game of 18 holes. Why don't the three of you get together and build six holes on each side of the river?"

They just sat there looking stunned. He was ****ing with them, of course, but it was his way of saying "we're not interested in your overdevelopment and ignoring our own plans."

Another one was out in the Tohono O'Odham Nation (you don't call them Papagos, you don't call them a tribe, although you can slide by calling them Indians), where one Indian named Bernard had a little restaurant, doing Indian chile, fry bread, etc. Bernard's brother worked for the Nation utility authority, so naturally, the outdoor tables were electric cable spools, and lot of other things at the restaurant were from the utility authority yard or warehouse. The guys who ran the utility authority (a couple of white guys) ate lunch there all the time, as did members of the National police, legislature, and council.

There was no "theft" - it was just putting stuff that was lying around to use.

The reason they hired white guys to run the utility authority was simple - if anything screwed up, they could blame the white guys, rather than each other, and everyone was somehow collaterally related by marriage within the last million generations or so, so personal relationships were more important - too important to risk getting into a dispute because of a screwup in the utility authority. Another reason to have white guys run it is because the Indians didn't want to be supervisors. If a white guy told them what to do, they'd complain about the damned pushy white guy and do what they're told. A Tohono O'Odham wouldn't want to tell another one what to do, and the other guy would say "why should I do what you tell me, you're no better than me, and besides, we're fifth cousins 13 times removed, so that's no way to treat family.

One time, the air conditioner at Bernard's restaurant broke down, in the middle of July, when it was about 115 degrees in the shade. It was a hell of a lot hotter on that asphalt shingled roof, especially when you got the side panels of that air conditioner lowered so they made nice reflectors.

So five of them go up to look at it. Then they discuss what they think is wrong with it and the best way to fix it. Up there, where the asphalt tiles and sheet metal reflectors in the sun must make it 150 degrees. For a couple of hours, because nobody's in a hurry. everybody gets their say, and everyone waits and thinks about what the other guy has said. Time and efficiency, as we see them, are non-issues. The desert will still be there, and so will the air conditioner.

Eventually, Bernard closed his restaurant. Not because it was doing badly, but he showed up when he felt like it. Sometimes he wanted to work on his ranch. Sometimes he wanted to hunt. But everyone showed up at his restaurant and expected someone to be there. He didn't want to disappoint them, so he closed it.

When I was there, there was a really bad drought, and I saw the most emaciated cattle I've ever seen alive (barely). They could have brought in water, but there was a drought. Bringing in water wasn't natural. When the drought ended, they'd get more cattle.

So it's just a completely different way of looking at things, and that's very hard to portray in a movie, or book. You have to live it for a while, and a lot of non-natives are so hung up in their world views they can never begin to understand the native ones.

Comment

Hoka Hey!
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

bbbbzzzzzzztttt!! The Entire nation refered to themselves as "The Lakota".

Bzzzzzzzzz. Wrong dickhead.
                            Read MtG's, "Ask him what time it is and he'll tell you how to make a watch" answer.
                            My answer was just concise and to the poiint.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Bzzzzzzzzz. Wrong dickhead.
                              Read MtG's, "Ask him what time it is and he'll tell you how to make a watch" answer.
                              And now that you know how to make a watch, you won't have to bug me to ask me what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                                You rarely make me laugh, Sloww. In fact, more often than not, you piss the hell outa me.

But that was great.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X