• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardian protects woman, child

Judge Allows Disabled Florida Woman to Have Baby

by Steven Ertelt
    LifeNews.com Editor
    June 25, 2003

Orlando, FL (LifeNews.com) -- A Florida judge has allowed a severely mentally disabled rape victim to carry her baby to term. The woman has been at the center of a national abortion debate starting when pro-life Gov. Jeb Bush requested a guardian for the woman's unborn child.

Circuit Judge Lawrence Kirkwood approved a medical plan for the woman, known as J.D.S. in court records, that allows her to have her baby. The plan was recommended by the woman's court-appointed guardian, Patti Jarrell.

"It is the guardian's belief that completing the pregnancy/delivering the child is in J.D.S.'s best interest,'' Jarrell wrote in a report to the judge. The woman is six months pregnant.

The doctors found that she was in good health and that her pregnancy was "unremarkable,'' Jarrell wrote in the report. Two sonograms indicate no obvious abnormalities, Jarrell said. Doctors recently took J.D.S. off some prescription medications.

Pro-life organizations rejoiced at the news.

"We are very happy that the judge ruled in favor of life for JDS' unborn child," Laura Eschaverria, a spokesperson for National Right to Life told LifeNews.com. "We commend Governor Bush for his desire to appoint a guardian for this baby and we believe that, as a result of todays decision, this child will be able to enjoy a very full life."

A representatrive of Florida Right to Life agreed and the organization submitted an amicuis brief along with the Liberty Counsel, a pro-life legal group, and the Christian Coalition of Florida.

"This woman has been assaulted once and we are pleased that she will not be assaulted again by the invasion of abortion," said FRTL's Robin Hoffman.

The judge has rejected several times requests that a guardian be appointed for the fetus. "There is no basis in the statutes or case law for appointment of a guardian for a fetus,'' Kirkwood wrote earlier this month.

The woman's attacker has been unable to be identified because she was unable to consent for a DNA test until a guardian could be appointed for her.

Now, if she can't consent for a DNA test, why could she consent for an abortion? That always puzzled me.
    Anyways, good news for once.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Was there ever any question of her having an abortion?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I think someone mentioned it as an option.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

But now she won't be.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

What does the woman want?
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Isn't this a bit of a non-story?

Could have been retitled "Judge rejects rather bizarre proposal by odd politician".
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I just read the name of your town as "Burnbaby, British Columbia", Obiwan!
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

From CNN.com

A distinct possibility, because

"In that case, the young woman's doctor told the court that his patient's life could be in danger and the baby might be deformed or possibly die if it was carried to term. Other doctors disagreed."

So we didn't know until today whether she would or she wouldn't.

Comment

Something can still go wrong. Carrying a fetus to term is still more dangerous than abortion. I think two considerations need to be made: what does the woman want and what is in her best interests.

BTW, who is going to be raising the child?
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Burnbaby, British Columbia", Obiwan!

That's why I have prolifer profiler on my location sig.

What does the woman want?
                    Che:
                    How could she tell us? That's why we need informed consent, which is just not possible in this case.

Comment

Why did she need a guardian? Were they afraid that someone my try to sneak up on her with a coat hanger before anyone was the wiser.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

DaShi:

She requires a guardian because she isn't capable of making the decision herself.

Che:

Carrying a fetus to term is still more dangerous than abortion.
                        The guardian doesn't seem to think so. What makes you think abortion less dangerous? There are plenty of complications.

BTW, who is going to be raising the child?
                        Put up for adoption. I'm sure someone will be willing to help, especially because of the rape.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Something can still go wrong. Carrying a fetus to term is still more dangerous than abortion. I think two considerations need to be made: what does the woman want and what is in her best interests.
                          I think that a very important interest is can the baby lead a normal life. Lately, I've become very split over abortion.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
                            The guardian doesn't seem to think so. What makes you think abortion less dangerous? There are plenty of complications.
                            The simple fact that a woman who carries a fetus to term is more likely to die as a result than a woman who has an abortion. More women die per thousand childbirths than women die per thousand abortions.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the mere fact of pregnacy puts a woman at her greatest risk of being murdered (though I don't think that's a real risk in this case).

Comment

More women die per thousand childbirths than women die per thousand abortions.
                              Source?

Comment

Working...
                              X