Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play about 5-6 times a year.

My chipping and putting is sublime, but I have a serious problem with hook and draw on iron shots and I can't hit a wood to save my life.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
      I can't hit a wood to save my life.
      Nor can I.
      Fortunately (since I don't play often enough to justify joining a club) the public courses I go to are all par 3's and I can easily reach the green with a 5 Iron (or a 7 if the wind is behind me) - not exactly Tiger Woods'esque length, but it does the job fine on those courses.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Golf is a car.

Comment

/me plays golf
          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
            Golf fails miserably...

Or do you think it isn't a physical activity?
            I fail to see how it can require much physical activity... You're using a split second to hit the ball, then you drive with that golf-cart to your ball... using a split second to hit the ball again, and on and on and on... The only physical I can see could be in the game, would be the walk from where you shot your ball, to where it landed... but that's out of the question with all those golf cars around anyway...

Sorry, but I fail to see where the physical activity in the game is located...
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

most people don't use golf carts

played a few times, i'd say it's more of a career move than a game (), but it's an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                Sorry, but I fail to see where the physical activity in the game is located...
                How can it not be physical? Your using your arms to swing the the club!

Sure, it might not make you break out in a sweat or leave you out of breath, but that doesn't mean it isn't physical.

Chess isn't physical and Civilisation isn't physical because, although you still use your arms in some way to play them the ability of every person to do so is identical. Unless they have a physical handicap, any 10 year old is as good at the physical aspects of chess as Gary Kasparov. This, IMHO, makes it not a physical game, but a mental one (and I'm sure you'd agree).

By the same token, although things such as Golf and Pool might not require supreme physical fitness the way Soccer or Basketball does, they nevertheless are physical sports because your success or failure in them is almost entirely dependant on physical factors.
                You might know exactly what you need to do (chip the ball 80 yards over tht bunker, curve it round a tree and land it on the green with enough backspin to stop it dead), but if you don't have the physical skill to do so then you will fail.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

"Build housing for the homeless on Golf courses"
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                    but I have a serious problem with hook and draw on iron shots and I can't hit a wood to save my life.
                    I had/ve the same problems, although I don't mind having to hit two or three relatively long iron shots to land on/near the green.
                    I haven't hit a ball in quite some years now, but I do want to go out and play again when I have more time.

Comment

what I want to know is why the poker championships are on ESPN2 . That definately isn't a sport.

Comment

golf rox
                        Time to take out the trash. You know its easy but it seems harder every time you try and think about it.

Comment

what about auto racing?

does that require physical skill? Women racers still struggle quite a bit in racing. Although you could make the case is their brains are wired a bit differently.

And boat racing?

Comment

Obviously you've never sailed if you think sailing does not require physical exertion.

Ever raised a mast?
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              what about auto racing?

does that require physical skill?
                              Maybe not specifically skill, but certainly a lot of endurance and stamina.

Comment

I meant speed boats

yes sailing isn't an easy task

and yachting? please

Comment

Working...
                                X