Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf

Does anyone play this *ahem* sport?

As George Carlin would say, it's not a sport.

Plus it seems too elitist, and seems to be a rich white person sport. I wouldn't fit in. Of course I don't fit in anywhere, so that point is moot.

Plus I have no idea how to play, and I'd look like an idiot out there. Golf is not something they teach in elementary school phs. ed classes.

edit: Woohoo! this is perhaps the first time I wanted to make a multiple choice poll, and didn't screw it up.
    I play golf religiously
    6.67%
    I play frequently
    3.33%
    I play seldomly
    18.33%
    I play only while drunk or I use it as an excuse to drive golf carts while drunk
    5.00%
    I would not play golf if my life depended on it
    16.67%
    I watch golf all the time on tv (or live)
    0.00%
    I frequently watch golf on tv (or live)
    6.67%
    I watch golf when there is nothing else on tv
    11.67%
    I'd rather have my arm cut off than watch golf
    21.67%
    insert banana resoponse here
    10.00%
    Last edited by Dis; June 21, 2003, 02:58.

golf is alright...id rather play than watch.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Golf is the best. You against the course...

Comment

Golf is a religion... love it.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Golf sucks.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

why would you hit a ball, spend all day looking for it, then hit it again?

You're lucky you found the damn ball, put it in your pocket and go home.

Okay that's George Carlin's bit. It's funnier when he says it

Comment

To each their own
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Golf is a good walk ruined.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Nahhh... golf makes for a good walk
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

I love golf, although I only ever play 5 or 6 times each summer. I'm still managing to improve every time, which is encouraging. Hopefully I'll go and play next weekend if the weather's good.

I can't wait until I get really old like Ming so I can take up the game full time.
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Golf? Sport? Did someone say golf is a sport? Golf has nothing to do with sport... and I can't even imagine why people actually would watch this "sport"...

The only golf course I would "love" to play, is that one, they made in that movie with Chewy Chase, where some "normal" guy is being introduced to a golf course, but ends up buying the golf course, and turns it into some Theme Park... now that looks interesting
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

If golf is a religion, then I'm an atheist.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                          Golf? Sport? Did someone say golf is a sport? Golf has nothing to do with sport... and I can't even imagine why people actually would watch this "sport"...
                          It's a competitive physical endeavour that takes fantastic skill to play well. That's my definition of a sport. Yours may differ.

Dictionary.com lists the definition as:
                          sport     
                          n.
                          1a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
                          1b. A particular form of this activity.
                          2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
                          3. An active pastime; recreation.

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

I believe that covers everything. Case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                            It's a competitive physical endeavour that takes fantastic skill to play well. That's my definition of a sport. Yours may differ.
                            That's my definition of sport also... and from that, Golf fails miserably...
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Golf fails miserably...

You think it's really easy to play? Care to give us any tips?

Or do you think it isn't a physical activity? There must be lots of cool things you can do with that telekinesis of yours.

Or don't you think it's competitive? The vast sums of money at stake and fields of dozens of players in any one of hundreds of tournaments each year must all be in my imagination then.

Comment

Working...
                              X