• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Please tell me this is humor.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Where did Jesus' brothers come from, if Mary remained a virgin?
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

not my area of expertise in theology, but:

(was half-trolling with my original post anyway)

Comment

interthread observation:

maybe John Turturro could tell us more aboutthe "Jesus" box

Comment

Matthew 12:46-50 indicates he had brothers.

What reason or evidence do we have to assume they weren't his biological brothers that isn't circular? None.

What reason do we have to assume Mary remained a virgin her whole life? None.

The notion that the mother of the savior had to be a virgin was a mistaken reading of a prophecy in the first place, IIRC.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Good News, now protestants won't be able to use this to attack the belief of the perpetual virginity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, mother of God.
              Shi:

Naw...

We just use the bible. Who needs a hunk of rock?

Why does Mary need to be a perpetual virgin?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

"Why does Mary need to be a perpetual virgin?"

Ditto
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Always been tradition that Joseph was a widower. I'd have to agree with Shi Huang.

I suppose, though, that makes me a crazy wacko fundamentalist who is something of an ignorant peasant for buying into this stuff, eh?
                  Empire growing,
                  Pleasures flowing,
                  Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Originally posted by History Guy
                    Always been tradition that Joseph was a widower. I'd have to agree with Shi Huang.

I suppose, though, that makes me a crazy wacko fundamentalist who is something of an ignorant peasant for buying into this stuff, eh?
                    nonononononono. You are taking the Catholic position, so you are not a fundie. The crazy wacko fundamentalists are always by definition the Protties.

Comment

Originally posted by History Guy
                      What supports that "tradition?" Or is it one of those "traditions" that is really a "wishful assumption?"

What man, in any time, would remain married to a woman for 33 years (at least) and not have porked her at least once? What man in Biblical times wouldn't have deemed it his right to do so with his property?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The crazy wacko fundamentalists are always by definition the Protties.
                        Yes, the Catholics prefer to mingle more.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Why, I say, is it that the chaps who are religious are often painted in such broad strokes so as to suggest that they are all quite, quite mad, when it is quite obvious that religion is the one sane thing in the entire world?
                          Empire growing,
                          Pleasures flowing,
                          Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

"What man, in any time, would remain married to a woman for 33 years (at least) and not have porked her at least once? What man in Biblical times wouldn't have deemed it his right to do so with his property?"

Joseph was canonized a saint by the Church for a good reason.

[serious] For the people who have asked me "Why perpetual virginity?" can read up those websites I linked to, and see how they respond to the biblical passages about Jesus' brothers. I can't answer those questions, I really don't know much about Marian theology. My post here was something of a troll, and it seems a few people bit.

Personally I don't really care all that much, the status of Mary's virginity isn't really important to my faith. I am willing to trust my Church on this one as I haven't really studied it enough to have too much of an informed opinion. There are some problematic elements in the Church though I will admit as far as this goes, some Catholics do let their Marian devotion go too far(For instance, there was this one guy claiming that nobody can be admitted into heaven without Mary praying for them). [/serious]

Comment

I am amazed at the lengths some people will go to, to "prove" the non-existance of Christ.

I discounted this item when I first heard of it, because early Christians believed that the end was very near, and were told to not put any value in material possessions; there is no sound reason to expect that any of Christ's immediate possesions would have been kept and preserved at that time.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                                I am amazed at the lengths some people will go to, to "prove" the non-existance of Christ.
                                There is no such need. Afterall, Christians haven't been able to "prove" the existence of Jesus of Nazareth.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X