Immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration

Pretty contentious issue in Britain and Europe, dont know about America, but nonetheless, there is a backlash, certainly in Britain, among established populations against incoming peoples, refugees, asylum seekers. The common cries of "their stealing all our jobs", all the way to racist generalisations like "they stink", "theyre ugly", etc, are often heard when people talk about these people. The support for the far right in this nation is disturbingly high at the moment.

Political parties like the fascist British National Party, who have many neo-nazi members, have ridden on the back of this simplistic backlash among the population, and have reached a level of support that is worrying those in government, and frightening those in ethnic minorities.

My opinion is that these views are unfounded, conservative, ethnocentric, prejudiced, and often downright racist.

Britain needs incoming people. Less people are being born, while more and more are getting old. There are young people to support more old people, and this workforce situation could get out of hand. When one has young, often skilled, often educated people coming in to help, then this is surely greatly beneficial to the economy.

Lets not forget the value of cultural integration. Britain is a story of this, from the orginal Iberian settlers, to the Celts, the the Romans, to the Picts, the Welsh, the Irish, to the Angles, the Saxons, the Vikings and the French in 1066. Lately, there have been people coming in from the age of empire. Integration helps ones own culture.

Also consider that the people coming are human, and equally human as those already living here. Why treat them like animals, or prisoners, when they have committed no crime, and have the same capacity as others.

I cannot help but fear that peoples reactions are based on a form of inbuilt racism that starts an inherently hostile reaction to anyone with a different coloured skin. If the people coming in were Germans or Americans, then I doubt we would have this reaction (even though they have less reason to be here than people from poorer countries).

I want to see a big shift to accepting asylum seekers, relaxing the rules which are stupidly tough at the moment, as they are better for this nation, better for the economy, and better for the British people as a whole!
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

We should admit people into this country who are refugees as defined by the UN convention. We also need more workers and we need to encourage immigration for this puropse.

Oh and the BNP are scum

edited for really dreadful spelling
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

This seems to be influenced by the economy as well.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

"We should admit people into this country who are refugees as definded by the UN vonvention. We also need more workers and we need to encorage immigration for this puropse"

That is true, but I think we should be a little more lenient on illegal asylum seekers. Apart from the fact that all asylum seekers in society are tarred with the same brush of being illegal, theyre here now, we might as well make use of them. Of course, if theyre here for ludicrous reasons, then tougher measures for sure.
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

"Oh and the BNP are scum"

Very true imo. You may see a lot of BNP people wearing T-shirts with the number "88". H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, HH is a contraction of "Heil Hitler".

Comment

I think letting foreign peoples enjoy the benefits of freedom and capitalism is the least a government can do to try and make up for hundreds of years of imperialism.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
              I think letting foreign peoples enjoy the benefits of freedom and capitalism is the least a government can do to try and make up for hundreds of years of imperialism.

Sava I am gonna be really impressed if you can turn every thread into an attack against imperallism
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Yeah, Mcdonna is a product of imperialist inbreeding
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger

Sava I am gonna be really impressed if you can turn every thread into an attack against imperallism
                  Considering imperialism is the cause for so many problems, it's not really a thread-jack per se. I'm in a particularly snotty mood today. Read my thread on what happened to me last night and you'll understand.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

cannot help but fear that peoples reactions are based on a form of inbuilt racism that starts an inherently hostile reaction to anyone with a different coloured skin. If the people coming in were Germans or Americans, then I doubt we would have this reaction (even though they have less reason to be here than people from poorer countries).
                    The majority of people arriving here are white.
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Personally, I can't understand xenophobia (or a lot of other phobia's, but that's a different discussion). I mean, these people obviously like your country so much that they are willing to sacrifice a lot to get there. Immigrants work hard, enjoy freedom, democracy, and other related ideals; and want a better future for their kids. What's there to be afraid of?

On second thought, I think we should be suspicious of anyone who wants to live in Britain.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well obviously to US citizens who after all live in the promised land the UK is rubbish, but to ther people it is a decent place

Comment

I'm just not a fan of the weather.

And believe me, the UK isn't really that bad. You could be living in Texas.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                            "Oh and the BNP are scum"

Very true imo. You may see a lot of BNP people wearing T-shirts with the number "88". H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, HH is a contraction of "Heil Hitler".

I was aware of combat 18, but 88 just makes me think of bingo's two fat ladies.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

it's supposed to mean 'SS'.

but then, why not use '55'?!

silly nazis.

I think that the majority of the backlash in not due to the issues of race, but due to issues of culture, and indeed, your governments are not doing enough to integrate your immigrants.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X