Washington Warmongering Undermining Iranian Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well he's hardly a democrat
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
      well he's hardly a democrat
      Well he isn't a Mugabe either... He is the best and only option that the DRC has.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Some in the US have publicly stated they want to destabilize Iran: that means that Hardlines can alway drege up that wuote in time of crisis, blame reformists, and crack down hard. It does undermine reformists. There is little the US can do (war is out of the question, we won;t find many states willing to back a harder line vs Iran, so that pressure is not much) at this point. The admin. should keep its trap shut about destabalizing and figure out how to help the reformist side under the table.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

As others have stated in this thread, this was only a threat, not a promise. Despite was some may think, the Pentagon's power is limited.

I read this as a tactical move. We need some things from Iran fairly immediately (regarding al Qaeda and Iraq), so we send a shot across their bow, letting them know that the status quo isn't acceptable.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

who here believes, that the US-admin has a true interest in supporting the Iranian reformers?
            who here can deliver a reliable source that shows there is a clear link between Iran and al qaeda?
            justice is might

Comment

A wrongheaded tactical move, yes.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

oedo: Here you go...

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Who here has the intelligence resources of the American gov't or privy to them?
                  This is the correct tactical move against Iran, the United States went to Iraq for exactly this kind of intervention, if needed.
                  This is no different than China and Russia yesterday saying to North Korea, do not go nuclear. Russia also wants guarantees from Iran that it is not using the their nuclear research started from Russia to research weapons grade materials.
                  This time the United States and Britain are not alone in asking for answers, funny how quickly attitudes change.
                  Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Hell, that is even from CNN, should make SAVA happy that it is not FOX.
                    Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Despite was some may think, the Pentagon's power is limited.
                      Yes, but does Rumsie know that?
                      “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Well now, you don't gain power by acting like you don't have power, do you?

Comment

Iranian "reformers". never understood why some people have a hard-on on Khatami.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

How about: the US has been helping the reformers in Iran for some time now but change isn't happening fast enough.
                            So, instead of trying to covertly destabilize the government - which would have been the logical course of action IMO - lets tell the Iranian that we're going to try. Let them use this as an excuse to shut down the reformers. The US will then be facing a more "fundamentalist" regime, which it can present as being more threatening to regional stability, world peace, etc... (But lets not mention oil this time, OK ?)
                            What?

Comment

The reformers are great. They are just too differential to the mullahs and are using losing strategies.

How about: the US has been helping the reformers in Iran for some time now but change isn't happening fast enough.

We've been doing the minimal it seems. Perhaps we don't trust Khatami.

Comment

Originally posted by HershOstropoler
                                How exactly did the west destablize the eastern bloc?
                                Via economic warfare. Read about the arms race and the subsequent economic collapse of the Soviet Union. In short Rony and Magy made sure the Soviets spent so much on guns that they didn't have any butter.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X