X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Warmongering Undermining Iranian Reform

Pentagon Adds to Despair of Iran's Reformers
    by Dan De Luce in Tehran

The Pentagon's pronouncement that it would seek to "destabilize" Iran's Islamic republic has given the country's clerics ammunition to portray their liberal opponents as traitors. Hardly a day passes without warnings in the official press against reformists accused of sowing divisions.

"America is trying to undermine our national unity by provoking chaos and political differences as well as creating a crisis," said Mohammed Baqer Zolqadr, the deputy commander of the Revolutionary Guards.

Washington's rhetoric could not have come at a more awkward time for President Mohammed Khatami and his allies in parliament. As the political and constitutional battle between reformists and Islamists comes to a head, the US intervention is a distraction and a pretext for muffling dissent.

Reformist MPs, who form a parliamentary majority, are threatening to resign en masse after repeated obstruction by conservatives on the guardian council, an unelected body but possessing a constitutional veto over legislative change.

The final straw came last month when the council rejected two bills proposed by President Khatami that would have ended clerical authority over the judiciary and the electoral process.

Conservatives portray the threat to resign as naive and dangerous, damaging Iran's national security at a time when the US military encircles Iran. The state prosecutor warned MPs that they might face legal action if their resignations threatened "national interests".

If the MPs do stay, they will enter February's elections with nothing to show for their promises of change. If they step down, the conservatives may choose to impose emergency rule to pre-empt protest.

Diplomats say President Khatami and other reformers are furious that the US has decided to publicly pressure Iran at such a delicate time.

Perhaps more damaging has been Washington's efforts to promote Reza Pahlavi, the son of the shah overthrown in 1979. Even the most radical democracy activists regard him as a laughing stock when he appears on satellite TV broadcasts from Los Angeles.

Irrespective of US meddling, Iran's democracy experiment seems to have hit a brick wall. Six years since the smiling, soft-spoken president was elected on a wave of optimism, Iranians are wondering what happened. "I'm in my 30s. By the time things change, I'll be an old woman," said a professor. "That's too late for me."

At the weekend, 130 reformist MPs issued an open letter to Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who as supreme leader, or head of state, has the constitutional role of advising the president, warning that Iran might slide into dictatorship if conservatives were allowed to flout the popular will.

President Khatami has hinted in the past he might resign. But he has offered no rallying cry. His manner seems more suited to academia, and some close associates say he will seek a negotiated compromise at almost any cost.

The clerics cite the constitution and sharia law to justify their veto - although the reformers claim they exceed their constitutional powers - and appear in no mood to compromise. Many of President Khatami's allies fear negotiation would end in the death of the movement.

Reformists started to lose their footing in 1999, when student protests were brutally crushed by the Basij militia. "Ever since then, reformers have been on the defensive, afraid of triggering more repression or violence," said one Iranian analyst. At local elections in February, voters expressed disillusionment by staying away from polls, enabling conservatives to win major cities.

Marking the sixth anniversary of his landslide election, the president last week acknowledged the reform campaign had lost its momentum. "The reality is that we are in a new atmosphere today, and due to natural and unnatural reasons, the original zest and enthusiasm has faded," he wrote.

His detractors see him as an Iranian Alexander Dubcek, the 1968 Czechoslovak "Prague Spring" leader too much part of communism to reform it and too diplomatic a personality to do battle.

President Khatami's supporters say he has pushed the system as far as he could.

"He was the right man at the right time in 1997. He opened up discussion and debate. But his chapter is closing," said a middle-aged businesswoman. "Someone else will have to emerge for the next stage."
    Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported. Our Mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.

Shrub's policy towards Iran really has been totally disastrous. As long as the US is seen as a threat to Iran, the conservatives can prevent any changes by the reformists.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

So Bush's foreign policy is idiotic, what else is new?
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Just his foreign policies?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Point taken.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Vote.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Most people voted for someone else last time

OK, OK, that was a lame comeback, just trying to be cute
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

David! How's your hammer hangin' ?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Well that didn't work too well did it? More people voted for the other guy, yet Bush is now in the White House.
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

If you're saying Gore should have won, I shudder to think of what the situation would be today, had he truly won.

Comment

I don't think we'd be in this mess if he had won.
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

At the very least Ashcroft wouldn't be in office, and that's worth having Gore in power by quite a bit.
                      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Comment

Granted, if Gore had won, we'd probably be in a totally different mess
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Iranian reform wasn't going anywhere, anyway, and that's about 90% of the problem.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

you anti-Bush people are so silly and unimformed.

Did you really think reform was happening in Iran? You just picked up on this story because it was against Bush.

Before you say something I'm not a conservative mind you.

I feel that being too far to the right is just as bad as being too far to the left. It blinds you to the truth.

The truth is there, if you put your political leanings away for a moment, you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X