No announcement yet.

Does Trolling Really Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

always imagined the origin of trolling to come from Troll (the creature) and never once imagined that it could come from the fishing term...weird.
    That's the beauty of the term. The verb, 'trolling' evokes fishing metaphors, while the noun, 'troll' evokes the picture of a smelly, ugly beast who lives under bridges hoping to eat children.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: Does Trolling Really Exist?

Originally posted by Kramerman
      Or maybe im wrong. Maybe there are people who derive sick and sadistic pleasure from frustrating others with mock-hatred, stuborness and stupidity

thoughts?
      It's called 'winding someone up' in the UK, and is considered both an artform and a form of entertainment. A sense of irony and an appriciation of sarcasm are essential which obviously excludes certain nationalities from participating.

Comment

It can be fun once in a while but even in the hands of a true master (cf. Julie Burchill, above) it gets tedious after a couple of rounds.
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Re: Re: Does Trolling Really Exist?

Originally posted by reds4ever

It's called 'winding someone up' in the UK, and is considered both an artform and a form of entertainment. A sense of irony and an appriciation of sarcasm are essential which obviously excludes certain nationalities from participating.
          Its called being a d!ckhead in here.
          :-p

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Does Trolling Really Exist?

Originally posted by Calc II

Its called being a d!ckhead in here.
            Many thanks, you've just proved my point!

Comment

is that what passes for clever in the UK reds? wow.

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon
                Where was 'clever' mentioned? or are YOU trolling ME.....?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does Trolling Really Exist?

Originally posted by reds4ever

Many thanks, you've just proved my point!

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon

which obviously excludes certain nationalities from participating.

Comment

obviously excludes certain nationalities from participating.
                      Stiff upper lip, and all.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Some people think I'm a troll. It's not true, I'm not trying to inflame people's emotions as stimulate their brain cells.

There's a difference. To me at least.

The UK pastime of "winding someone up" is more a form of our rather peculiar humour than an attempt to seriously hurt someone's feelings. It generally leads to a counterattack of the same nature.

It can occasionally lead to physical beatings... but hey, that's all part of the game.
                        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Calc maybe i was wrong about 'certain nationalities'

Comment

heh, interesting. It might actually be fun to see a Troll thread where everyone tries to troll everyone else, and the best Troll wins...
                            "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                            - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

It might actually be fun to see a Troll thread where everyone tries to troll everyone else, and the best Troll wins...
                              Open your eyes! They're everywhere!

Comment

Of course!

what the hell am i thinking!?
                                "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                                - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                                Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X