Does Trolling Really Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Trolling Really Exist?

I dunno, but to me it seems it is just a figment most of the time. I have a feeling that once people start to noticeablely lose an arguement or debate, they then take it to the extreme, in order to say, "oh, i was just trolling..." instead of admitting defeat. They use Trolling as a cover up to their true stupidity.

Or maybe im wrong. Maybe there are people who derive sick and sadistic pleasure from frustrating others with mock-hatred, stuborness, and stupidity. But im gonna stick to my hunch that trollers are just people looking for an escape out of a failed arguement, most of the time. Im not talking about those one liners mind you, but trolls that are lengthy and numerous posts.

thoughts?
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Trolling is much more commonly an accusation, rather than an excuse.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

It's more comfortable to label someone as a troll than admiting he's right. People label someone as a troll when they lose their arguments.

Comment

Can someone explain trolling to a person not familiar with every English slang word? Trolling to me means "drag the lure behind the boat and wait for the fish to bite".
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

When eep didn't post on comp.games.development.design It was sad day. And these days are withou spencer hignes and others, on history.medieval . Well everyone is wondering where are that fine trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
            It's more comfortable to label someone as a troll than admiting he's right. People label someone as a troll when they lose their arguments.
            You TROLL!

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf HÃ¥rfagre
              Can someone explain trolling to a person not familiar with every English slang word? Trolling to me means "drag the lure behind the boat and wait for the fish to bite".
              Wow, that's surprisingly close to the definition being used here. When someone is trolling a thread, they are posting specifically inflammatory comments with the hope that they will provoke even more inflammatory responses. Basically, trolls are just trying to piss people off.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf HÃ¥rfagre
                5. What is a Troll?

On Usenet, a Troll is someone who posts messages in newsgroups with the deliberate intent of provoking flames or heated discussion or, in the case of a destructive troll, an attempt to destroy the group.

Comment

I know I have genuinely trolled several times.

Anyway, it hardly a phenomenon that's restricted to the internet...
                  Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                  Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I always imagined the origin of trolling to come from Troll (the creature) and never once imagined that it could come from the fishing term...weird.

Usually, when I see someone call soemthing a troll, they found something offensive or inflammatory, and its their way of denouncing it without addressing it. Like the "troll rating"
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Ahh, I remember trolling Finland's pre-eminent teen chatroom at kiss.fm... Namely playing a hardcore Christian in the goth/satanist section.

I have a feeling they didn't like me.

I tried the same in the RPG area but it wasn't as fun.
                      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

LINK!?

Comment

I actually think Bill Clinton and Al Gore were trolling when they accused Republicans of killing children every time some policy difference came up on virtually anything. Remember that?
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Actually I have thought of trolling when looking at some of our politicians debating.

They are master trolls.

Comment

I think that trolling definitely exists. At least I hope it exists given the stupidity and ignorance of some posts.

I think it backfires whenever the troll gets involved in increasingly lengthy posts to defend their original trolling position. Then it is a question of who is trolling whom.
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X