No announcement yet.

The official Apolyton Reason VS Faith thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're responding to me, I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to Big Crunch, and talking to yavoon. I should probably make those things more clear in the future.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Lorizael :
      I was responding to the thread in general, not specifically to your post.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
        A "reason versus faith" poll is kinda like a "food versus air" poll. You shouldn't swallow oxygen any more than you should inhale a bag of fritos. They're both useful but in ways that are, or ought to be, completely independent of each other. If you define your ideals in terms of theses and dissertations, or plan all your tasks around the hope of divine intervention, you or someone near you is in for a lot of grief. Why compare the two?
        Sometimes it's fun to inhale a bag of fritos, though.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

yes lori science needs things to get going. but it only picks the things it thinks will work. which just points back to the pragmatism argument. and I believe ur making a distinction w/o a difference. big crunch is calling for faith that the world is not random. but to assume it is, is defeatism. so its really only pragmatic to go ahead like it snot. much less once the # of things this pragmatism has accomplished grows ever larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

Sometimes it's fun to inhale a bag of fritos, though.
            "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
            - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Nature may alternatively be inconsistent, with no logic or reason behind it, and all we are measuring is nonsense, which makes all our theories to date meaningless.

Statistics suggest otherwise. If what you are suggesting is true, we are screwed whether we utilize scientific methods or don't. If it's false, we are screwed if we don't. I don't see a good case against science here.

Suppose there is no logical reason for it to change and no theory can be used to decribe it.

Assuming that the change does not impair the ability to exist of our particular species -- very unlikely -- we get to remap the properties of nature and hope that they don't change again.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Only ONE person voted faith so far........... where are the legions of faithfull?

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                  Only ONE person voted faith so far........... where are the legions of faithfull?
                  They are embarrassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    Reason is exerted by people who think a rational/logical thought allows to be closer to the truth. To me, believeing in the human ability to find truth through reason has as much credit as through religion.
                    First of all, what is "the truth?" Are you accepting the notion that there are so called "universal truths?" If so, what are they? What is truth as opposed to facts?

Secondly, if we somehow arrive at "the truth" through religion, how could we tell if that is it? On what basis could you form such a judgement?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                      reason is a better tool than blind faith, but as Spiff sort of pointed out, you have to tae various few, but crucial articles as faith before you can start.
                      Hm. It seems that the word "faith" has been used a bit loosely. Are you using it in the sense of "axioms" or "postulates," certain ideas and concepts taken to be true without proof? Still, systems based on these axioms needed to be examined and compared with the objective reality as far as reason is concerned, which will point out any flaws in the original postulates.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I used to have as my sig, "Look in the dictionary, and you'll find that the definition of gullible is 'belief without evidence. Look in the dictionary, and you'll find that the definition of faith is 'belief without evidence'."

Comment

of course reason... but a little faith isn't a bad thing... the problem occurs when you let faith outweigh reason.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm with Sava, though there are times where faith is reason.
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                              Maybe they got confused after reading the first page of this thread.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Abstain.

Faith and reason are not mutually exclusive.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X