This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Caligastia
    Bit of a shocker when Carlos dropped that pass which the Crusaders scooped up for a try just before half time eh?
    Yes, but it happens to the best of them. Steve Larkham has done exactly the same thing in just about exactly the same spot. From memory, though, it didn't cost a try, but it was only good fortune. The look on poor Carlos' face was priceless, though.

You would also have to think that Mehrtens will be looking to a future in a different hemisphere next season. Wouldn't it be bloody fantastic if he turned up at Tigers?

*Havak hires Bono to pen his change of tune*

Did you also notice the nice little bit of good-humoured byplay between Carlos and Mehrtens? When Mehrtens was trapped behind the line with no space or time to kick? He took the tackle from Carlos but managed to pass to someone else who kicked into touch? It was very brave, very quick thinking by Mehrtens. He and Carlos had a giggle about it after the ball had gone.

Also Havak will be happy to hear that Mehrtens had terrible kicking game and is now in danger of being left out of the ABs.
    Mehtrens has had so little game time in the second half of the season - multiple injuries, then starting off the bench for the last couple of matches - that he was always going to struggle to hold his spot in the face of Spencer's form. The question is whether he will be picked as back-up. There was a suggestion in this morning's media that he wouldn't, that Mitchell will look elsewhere. The interesting question is who will be picked as scrummy.

The Wallaby squad for the mid-season tests will be announced today. Given the backline unavailable due to injury - Larkham, Herbert, Mortlock, Latham, Tune, Rogers - new faces are inevitable.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare

finbar, those BBC commentators were clearly not doing their job properly. They should also have known Murphy. There were two Irish on the field, after all (one of them being canadian or something, though, I didn't get all the explanations).
      You're right, they weren't. It was a very lacklustre broadcast in many ways.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
        Manuel Edmond's kick is indeed very intelligent and beautifully executed as the try that is scored...
        Very talented player capable of outstanding rugby. His trouble here was that he couldn't do it often enough. No one could work out why.

BTW, I hope you have seen the TV broadcasting about the Boniface brothers just before the game... very moving and interesting... tales from another time...
        That reminds me. They are bound to repeat the outstanding History Of Rugby TV series at some stage leading up to the WRC. I'll tape the episode dealing with French rugby and send it to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
          You would also have to think that Mehrtens will be looking to a future in a different hemisphere next season. Wouldn't it be bloody fantastic if he turned up at Tigers?
          I we are about to see him more often on TV in Europe I hope he will have shaved his side whiskers...
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Very talented player capable of outstanding rugby. His trouble here was that he couldn't do it often enough. No one could work out why.
            He is credited for an excellent season here and has been regularly (almost each week) praised by the Midi Olympique.

That reminds me. They are bound to repeat the outstanding History Of Rugby TV series at some stage leading up to the WRC. I'll tape the episode dealing with French rugby and send it to you.
            Thanks Finbar, I am already waiting for it...
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

If we are about to see him more often on TV in Europe I hope he will have shaved his side whiskers...
              He looks like something out of the late 1960s! Not that you'd remember the late 1960s.

Oh, and I fixed your typo for you.

Comment

He is credited for an excellent season here and has been regularly (almost each week) praised by the Midi Olympique.
                Yes. I only saw one Perpignan HC match replayed here. He was up to all his usual tricks - passing behind his back, and so on. I think I remarked at the time that he seemed to be a couple of thoughts ahead of his teammates. Obviously they caught up to him to at least some extent.

Thanks Finbar, I am already waiting for it...
                They're bound to replay the series. I'll just have to keep an eye out for it.

Comment

• Interesting AB squad picked. No Cullen and Mehrtens, but that's no surprise. Taine Randell's omission is a surprise to me. I thought he had a fine S12 season. Scott Robertson missing out is no real surprise, though.

Picking Blues halfback Steve Devine was no huge surprise, but I'm constantly puzzled by Justin Marshall's selection in front of Byron Kelleher.

The new lads - Daniel Carter, Ma'a Nonu, Joe Rokocoko and Mils Muliaina can all play a bit. A strong squad.

Comment

• Oh, and Havak will be glad that Wasps rolled Bath 48-30 in the final of the Biro Cup.

Comment

• No Cullen

W00t?

Where's Taine Randell? Why is Paul Steinmetz, the best defensive 2nd 5/8 in the country, not in the side AGAIN???

sigh

Comment

• Originally posted by Frozzy
                        No Cullen
                        He's had an average season. I like his nickname, too. "Bottle".

Where's Taine Randell? Why is Paul Steinmetz, the best defensive 2nd 5/8 in the country, not in the side AGAIN???
                        Yes, I wonder why Randell's missing. There's a plethora of good centres, I suppose that's why Steinmetz missed out.

Comment

• The Wallaby squad for the Tests has been announced. Of the 3 new caps - Morgan Turinui, Waratahs centre; Lote Tuqiri, Waratahs winger; and Scott Fava, Brumbies #8 - only Fava is really a surprise. He's a very athletic #8, obviously rewarded for busy year with the Brumbies. Turinui, a former schoolboy rep player, has made a big impression in his first S12 season.

The lock selections are interesting - Giffen, Vickerman and Sharpe. A certain Brumbie lock is missing.

And the blindside flanker position is even more interesting. With only 3 locks picked, blindside would seem to be between David Lyons (if Fava starts at #8) and one of Smith or Waugh.

The unavailable list is terrifying: Burke, Mortlock, Giteau, Rogers, Tune, Finegan, Herbert, Larkham, and Walker. That's just about an entire backline.
                          Last edited by finbar; May 26, 2003, 09:08.

Comment

Yes, but it happens to the best of them. Steve Larkham has done exactly the same thing in just about exactly the same spot. From memory, though, it didn't cost a try, but it was only good fortune. The look on poor Carlos' face was priceless, though.

*Havak hires Bono to pen his change of tune*

That would create quite a conundrum for our bitter-swilling friend methinks.
                            Did you also notice the nice little bit of good-humoured byplay between Carlos and Mehrtens? When Mehrtens was trapped behind the line with no space or time to kick? He took the tackle from Carlos but managed to pass to someone else who kicked into touch? It was very brave, very quick thinking by Mehrtens. He and Carlos had a giggle about it after the ball had gone.
                            Yeah, I noticed that. Great work under pressure from Mehrtens. It was one of those times in the game when everyone involuntarily oohs and aahs.

Mehtrens has had so little game time in the second half of the season - multiple injuries, then starting off the bench for the last couple of matches - that he was always going to struggle to hold his spot in the face of Spencer's form. The question is whether he will be picked as back-up. There was a suggestion in this morning's media that he wouldn't, that Mitchell will look elsewhere. The interesting question is who will be picked as scrummy.
                            Yeah, there are a lot of good choices out there.

The Wallaby squad for the mid-season tests will be announced today. Given the backline unavailable due to injury - Larkham, Herbert, Mortlock, Latham, Tune, Rogers - new faces are inevitable.
                            Perhaps a few new faces will be a good thing for the Wallabies. The old guard might be shown up by some new talent, you never know...
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Picking Blues halfback Steve Devine was no huge surprise, but I'm constantly puzzled by Justin Marshall's selection in front of Byron Kelleher.
                              I usually agree with you on this one, but to be honest Byron didn't impress me so much in the game I managed to see him in (Highlanders v Blues in round 7). The game went the Highlanders' way, but Kelleher just didn't seem as quick as he usually is. Perhaps they've kept him on the bench too long.
                              The new lads - Daniel Carter, Ma'a Nonu, Joe Rokocoko and Mils Muliaina can all play a bit. A strong squad.
                              I was really impressed with Rokocoko's overall game this season. There's a lot more to him than blinding speed, he's also good when it comes to making the right decision under pressure. An intelligent player.
                              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

He looks like something out of the late 1960s! Not that you'd remember the late 1960s.
                                He indeed looks like an actor of the 1960's lost in a Rugby game, I must admit the stunt man replacing him in the action scenes is rather good.

Oh, and I fixed your typo for you.
                                You are too kind Finbar, your goodness will be your ruin...

Comment

Working...
                                X