This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak
    Well even I am getting drawn into the excitement – nothing to do with Graham Henry though.
    So...you supporting the Blues then?
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia

I reckon they should put Shawnee Fitzpatricee in charge. Have you ever noticed how often rugby commentators put an ee after someone's name as a sign of affection?
      Yes, and in Sean's case, it's Fitzy.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia

So...you supporting the Blues then?
        On the basis that G. Henry is working with the Blues, and that Havak thinks G. Henry to be the biggest rugby joke in eons, I suspect he's leaning towards the Crusaders. Unless, of course, he's feeling sorry for the Blues for having been lumbered with G. Henry. Who knows with Havak? He's such a complex lad.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
          The part related to the dairywoman is not normally part of the proverb... this is a relatively recent addition to the original sentence.
          And your doing, too, I'll bet!

Comment

• Or have I missed something via my brain strain from writing too many scripts too quickly? Six in the last three weeks!
            Now that is productive.

No you didn’t miss anything – I got confused by you using the expression ‘only’ – and took it to mean we might have more steps twixt club and test than the H cup…

Only their mums could love 'em! And even then with a bag over their heads.
            Lets hope so for their sake – most after all never knew their dads.

It's the inscrutable Japanese bit of him that I like.
            I know what you mean (I think).

The EC has a cost and it must be paid, as we say in France you can't have the butter, the money of the butter and f*** the dairywoman...
            True – but I have never understood why we have to constantly pay more per head of population than France does? Even the much touted Thatch-Witch rebates left us paying more per head than you.

(Source: The Sun - so it must be true)

I would say that the relationships between the UK and the Franco-German axis are a kind of "mutual cordial distrust"...
            Sadly true. Instead of spending time in Brussels our delegations should actually live in each others country for an extended period – it’s the only way to gain true empathy.

To be fair Tamerlin our issues are mainly with our own Politicians. In the only referendum we have ever had on the EC (thirty years ago) political union was never mentioned – only free trade and possible economic union. You can argue therefore that they mis-represented the facts to us (it was Ted Heaths Tories so no surprise there) but never the less the UK electorate has never had a direct say in whether we should have political union or not.

Labour made it a manifesto pledge in 97, then deferred it to the second term. Now they are back tracking so rapidly it’s clear their research has told them they will get creamed in any such referendum.

Ultimately the UK people must decide.

Just a quick aside on Mr Blair btw. I’ve had my concerns about his Tory like façade and his autocratic style recently but last week he received the ultimate condemnation for a Labour Prime Minister. Lady Thatcher called him a man of ‘great standing’. I can’t think of anything worse to be said of a Labour PM by that lady – if she likes him he must be bad.

I think so... but I was talking about armored vehicles and other high tech military equipments.
            Ah I see. Well again it doesn’t affect us at the moment because there is a cross party consensus that we should build our own MBTs and APCs. The dependency may be creeping in though as we are buying assault helicopters from them next time.

it appears its inceptors had a long term plan to build something that is rather close to a federation or a confederation
            See above – I accept that may have been the aim of the other European nations but it was never put on the table for us to decide on. Given there are some 25 million UK voters who were not old enough for the last referendum apparently I think it is time we were asked again.

I regret I am fairly sure of the outcome – there’s really no interest here in that kind of union at all. It’s like asking Australia and NZ to form a combined state that would, for convenience, be totally run by the Aussie government.

Which means once again that we are not self sufficient...
            In peace time that is fair enough. With full mobilisation neither country would be insignificant.

And by the way we are not arguing... we have a friendly talk.
            My bad.

The EC is such a contentious issue here you see it almost coming to blows in the pub every weekend.

Have you ever noticed how often rugby commentators put an ee after someone's name as a sign of affection?
            Hadn't noticed that Cal. As in Healee?

Certainly explains why it is ‘Campo’ though doesn’t it?

Hmm Backee, Moodee, Hillee, Rowntree, Jonno-ee… well some of them are used.

Who knows with Havak? He's such a complex lad.
            So my psychiatrist says.

It’s a tough call actually – but Howlett is with the blues right? That might swing it for me. Plus the clincher – Mehrts plays for CanterBlacks and this is one English p**** who won't be supporting that gentleman anytime soon.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

It?s a tough call actually ? but Howlett is with the blues right?
              Yes, now playing full back with the Fijian flyers on the wings.

That might swing it for me. Plus the clincher ? Mehrts plays for CanterBlacks and this is one English p**** who won't be supporting that gentleman anytime soon.
              I forgot about your love affair with The Gob! He who makes A. Healy sound like a deaf mute!

I have no idea who's going to win. Two completely contrasting teams playing two entirely different brands of rugby. Forced to tip, if Caucau is back on the wing, I think the Crusaders might struggle to contain the explosive Blues.

Oh, and I wonder how long it will be before the Crusaders bring The Gob off the bench?

Comment

• get back to work finbar
                The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

• Howlett should be an exciting full back - but how solid is his defensive game?

Yes I'm no fan of Mehrts as a person. Solid enough goal kicker I guess and he'll be on like a shot if the Crusader forwards can put the Blues pack on the back foot and force penalties?

Zinzan was saying the weather might be key - as in if it's wet the Crusaders will be favourite. But I'm sure you pointed out Caucau kept his feet remarkably in the wet the other week?
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Howlett should be an exciting full back - but how solid is his defensive game?
                    Oddly enough, he spends a lot of his time up in the line. His defence is competent. He can run people down, obviously, and he's a reasonable tackler. I've seen him handle a couple of high balls. The truly scary thing is that Caucau makes Howlett look like a milko's horse.

Yes I'm no fan of Mehrts as a person. Solid enough goal kicker I guess and he'll be on like a shot if the Crusader forwards can put the Blues pack on the back foot and force penalties?
                    I thought they might bring him on to try to keep the Blues in their own half.

Zinzan was saying the weather might be key - as in if it's wet the Crusaders will be favourite. But I'm sure you pointed out Caucau kept his feet remarkably in the wet the other week?
                    Well, yes. They rolled the Brumbies in very wet conditions earlier in the season playing pretty much a Brumbies game. Traditionally, you'd reckon the wet would favour a Crusaders game over the game this Blues mob plays, but this mob can do it from anywhere on the field if they're on song.

Comment

• The truly scary thing is that Caucau makes Howlett look like a milko's horse.
                      Then they will find a way to make him an All Black somehow. IRB eligibility conditions be damned.

I thought they might bring him on to try to keep the Blues in their own half.
                      Fair point. Though with the Blues back line it’s going to head back at pace if he misses touch?

The BBC used an interesting still from the Blues-ACT game – Howlett steaming on with a very unhappy Pat Howard in pursuit. Talk about an unfair contest.

Not happy Pat? Serves you right – should have stayed with a big team.

this mob can do it from anywhere on the field if they're on song.
                      Hmm I think I need to try and see this game (or the repeat at a sensible UK hour anyway).

Hope the winners come up to take on Glaws before the next S12 season. Glaws will be a spent force by then and I’d love to see them cut apart the arrogant nonks.

Some successes for Aussie rugby this week – Latham is staying after reds threw cash at him to stop him going to Ireland. Gray is staying with NSW to help his unfinished goal of winning the S-12 (no laughing there Finbar!). Oh and Williams is heading back from Quins. It seems the death of Nick Duncombe has had a profound effect on him and made him very homesick for pals and family – he’s going back to Reds I think.

On the other side the rumours are flying about that Gregans agent has contacted several English clubs…

It’s another public holiday weekend here and because I’m extra specially in need of a break I’m not back in until Wednesday. Fortunately Tigers are not playing this weekend so they can’t lose.

Good luck to both sides in the Euro final – hope it goes your way Tamerlin.

Go Blues!

Oh and Go Wasps too – hope they stuff Bath in the Shield final.

Comment

• Thanks Havak... and good looooong week-end.
                        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

Yes, and in Sean's case, it's Fitzy.
                          I know, I was being sarcastic.

Comment

Hadn't noticed that Cal. As in Healee?

Certainly explains why it is ‘Campo’ though doesn’t it?

Hmm Backee, Moodee, Hillee, Rowntree, Jonno-ee… well some of them are used.
                            I should have specified - SH commentators.

It’s a tough call actually – but Howlett is with the blues right? That might swing it for me. Plus the clincher – Mehrts plays for CanterBlacks and this is one English p**** who won't be supporting that gentleman anytime soon.
                            Yep, you're a Blues fan.

Comment

• (LDiCesare pops up for the weekend out of under a nasty firewall)
                              I hope Toulouse will be more successful this week-end than against the CSBJ last match...
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• It won't be difficult...
                                "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X