This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Caligastia
    I usually agree with you on this one, but to be honest Byron didn't impress me so much in the game I managed to see him in (Highlanders v Blues in round 7). The game went the Highlanders' way, but Kelleher just didn't seem as quick as he usually is. Perhaps they've kept him on the bench too long.
    He came off the bench a few times late in the season. That would have made it hard for him to get himself noticed.

I was really impressed with Rokocoko's overall game this season. There's a lot more to him than blinding speed, he's also good when it comes to making the right decision under pressure. An intelligent player.
    I'd still take his mate in front of him.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
      You are too kind Finbar, your goodness will be your ruin...
      Story of my life!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• England has picked a strong team for the SH tour, including J. Wilkinson, et al. Interesting to note, though, that Leicester aren't represented in the backs, while they supply their usual plethora - well, six - of forwards. I've never taken huge note of player origins, Havak, is this unusual? Or don't Leicester normally provide backs for England? Or is it a reflection of the Leicester season?

The Australia A team squad has been picked for a short tour of Japan over the next couple of weeks. There are several names that could, arguably, have turned up in the Wallaby squad announced a couple of days ago. I suspect some of them will turn up in the WRC squad.

The consensus is that we have, hopefully, found George Gregan's successor - a 20 year old NSW-born Queensland Reds lad, Josh Valentine. Wonderful hands, quick thinker, great eye. He's too cheeky and aggressive for his own good at the moment, but he will - hopefully - learn. He's off on the Japan tour which will be great experience for him.
        Last edited by finbar; May 27, 2003, 20:55.

Comment

• Firstly I must say congratulations to Tamerlin and his beloved Toulouse. A storming first half performance made them worthy winners – though the less said about that lack of direction in the second half the better.

England has picked a strong team for the SH tour
          They have – though whether they play the strongest team is something I still have my doubts on. He is after all taking 37 players to the SH.

Havak, is this unusual?
          It’s fairly normal. For the last decade or so Tigers have contributed one or two backs to a squad on average. Most of the English backs at Tigers are fringe players and will therefore be heading to Canada. If young Ollie Smith were fit he would probably be with the senior squad – and you may find both him and Tim Stimpson make the trip to RWC (Smith’s a real talent that Woody rates very highly and Stimmo is a useful backup for Wilko with the boot – especially with Hodgson out).

The big question with Valentine is – does he match Gregan’s sunny disposition towards the Poms?
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I was stand in coach for an under 7 team on Saturday. Nicholas scored twice. Dominic (4) flapped his arms a lot.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Yep, you're a Blues fan.
              That’s a Tigers fan for you – having to follow success where he can still find it.

So S12 is all over – and the English season, that started in August, has one game left for Tigers this weekend. I guess we play too much rugby!?

Has to rank for unfairness with your water-buffalo-of a-full-back's pursuit of Elton Flatley at Twickers.
              Wasn’t that amazing? It will stick with me for a long time that one. Robbo was mortally embaressed by it but he has the strength of character to get over it I think. It might be interesting to see the scenario next month with Lewsey at full back – he’s very fast and more powerfully built than Robinson. No doubt Sharpe will sprint past him.

Havak supports SH rugby!
              Lesser of two evils.

And Munster are less than pleased. Latham had signed a letter of intent
              Tricky stuff. This is still a sport where your word is seen as your bond. Bad form as they say.

I wonder, if we bomb out of the WRC, whether he would want to leave it at that.
              I think we all know you won’t bomb out. Semi’s at least for the hosts.

finbar, those BBC commentators were clearly not doing their job properly
              The TV guys were getting it right. Not sure who the world service boys would be to be honest.

They should also have known Murphy. There were two Irish on the field, after all (one of them being canadian or something, though, I didn't get all the explanations).
              Murphy, an Irish born Canadian national, is apparently coming to Tigers over the summer. Not a foreigner you see – born in Ireland so a domestic English player?

Also Havak will be happy to hear that Mehrtens had terrible kicking game and is now in danger of being left out of the ABs.
              The lesson in humility will do him good.

Wouldn't it be bloody fantastic if he turned up at Tigers?
              No it wouldn’t!

No change of tune here – I’m happier with Pez – far braver in the tackle that Mr Mehrts.

Oh, and Havak will be glad that Wasps rolled Bath 48-30 in the final of the Biro Cup.
              Not only that but Danny Grewcock (Bath skipper) red carded for punching Dallaglio – something of a win-win event for a Tigers fan.

Grecock’s suspension pretty much guarantees am all Tigers second row for the England tour to the SH.

The lock selections are interesting - Giffen, Vickerman and Sharpe. A certain Brumbie lock is missing.
              Well he has simply never reached the level of his Sydney Lions performance again has he?

I was listening to a friend this weekend who was explaining why the Wallabies were running into trouble when a player like Sharpe is considered international. Any comment on that Finbar? I thought the lad had promise but I’ve not seen much of him to be honest. I felt my friend was being harsh – but his analysis of players is normally keener than mine.

I would imagine that Waugh could play blindside quite effectively. Smith has to stay openside against us to compete against Backy.

That would create quite a conundrum for our bitter-swilling friend methinks.
              It wouldn’t, trust me. I do rather regret that Spencer turned us down three years ago though.
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
                Firstly I must say congratulations to Tamerlin and his beloved Toulouse. A storming first half performance made them worthy winners – though the less said about that lack of direction in the second half the better.
                And how did young Manny Edmonds go for Perpignan?

They have – though whether they play the strongest team is something I still have my doubts on. He is after all taking 37 players to the SH.
                Well, indeed. Presumably they will all get game time at some point.

The big question with Valentine is – does he match Gregan’s sunny disposition towards the Poms?
                He's very much a mini George only a red-head. He's also perfectly happy to hurl himself at thundering forwards. As I said, he will learn a lot in a hell of a hurry. Hopefully in the manners department too. But he's very very talented.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                  I was stand in coach for an under 7 team on Saturday. Nicholas scored twice. Dominic (4) flapped his arms a lot.
                  Congrats! And the team won? If so, that's a perfect one-from-one record, is it? If so, I'd retire now.

Comment

So S12 is all over – and the English season, that started in August, has one game left for Tigers this weekend. I guess we play too much rugby!?
                    It's ridiculous the amount of rugby you lot play. As I've said before.

Wasn’t that amazing? It will stick with me for a long time that one.
                    I'm quite sure Elton Flatley has it on a looped video.

The TV guys were getting it right. Not sure who the world service boys would be to be honest.
                    Probably whomever does the Irish rugby for the BBC.

Murphy, an Irish born Canadian national, is apparently coming to Tigers over the summer. Not a foreigner you see – born in Ireland so a domestic English player?

No it wouldn’t!
                    I'm pretty sure Mehrtens will turn up somewhere in the NH. Unless Carlos puts in a couple of stinkers.

Well he has simply never reached the level of his Sydney Lions performance again has he?
                    That's the truth, unfortunately. He ended up coming off the bench as the S12 season progressed. Still, it was a competitive lock situation at the Brumbies with him, Vickerman and Giffen. I gather he will be looking elsewhere because of it next season. The bottom line is that he simply doesn't do enough often enough.

I was listening to a friend this weekend who was explaining why the Wallabies were running into trouble when a player like Sharpe is considered international. Any comment on that Finbar? I thought the lad had promise but I’ve not seen much of him to be honest. I felt my friend was being harsh – but his analysis of players is normally keener than mine.
                    Well, I don't think anyone would argue he's John Eales yet. He's still very young, he's really only had one season of international rugby. He's got tons of promise and really hasn't done a lot wrong. I'm not sure what your friend's problem with him is. Or what your friend expects. Or even how and where he's seen him. He's one of a number of young locks - along with Vickerman and Heenan (the Eales protégé who's going on the A tour to Japan) - who are going to be competing for the same spot. We'll see.

I would imagine that Waugh could play blindside quite effectively. Smith has to stay openside against us to compete against Backy.
                    It's a bit hard to know who blindside will be. If it's not Waugh, it has to be David Lyons or even possibly Nathan Sharpe. There was talk of trying him there. The problem with starting both Waugh and Smith is that it weakens the lineout. As well, ideally, the best way to use Waugh and Smith is for one to replace the other off the bench, exploiting the extraordinary energy levels.

Comment

• And how did young Manny Edmonds go for Perpignan?
                      Simply put he kept them in the game. Very impressive tactical kicking in the second half – and we should be kind and put the first half down to the elements – it was a strong wind apparently.

Sad to see the ground not full though – clearly the French don’t travel unconditionally the way the Brits will.

Well, indeed. Presumably they will all get game time at some point.
                      I’d assume so. But with just the two games and both big ones maybe not. Some players may be present only as injury cover.

As I said, he will learn a lot in a hell of a hurry. Hopefully in the manners department too. But he's very very talented.
                      Talent allows a lot of other faults to be forgiven. Fingers crossed he fulfils that promise. It would be an added bonus if you found a new good-will ambassador for the team as well.

It's ridiculous the amount of rugby you lot play. As I've said before.
                      We are in full agreement here. But every time we think they are making progress on this front along comes a silly idea like this wildcard sequence we have had to play to try and ‘finesse’ in the H cup through the back door.

I'm quite sure Elton Flatley has it on a looped video.
                      And so he should have. That try, Mr Howlett’s, the ridiculous space and respect given Mr Lomu and the emergence of Ben Cohen as a world class finisher are my main memories from November.

I suspect Lewsey will get the full back berth next month – lets see if he is as badly exposed. He’s a more relaxed runner that’s for sure. Robbo’s explosive pace is back on the wing where it can work much better (if he relaxes).

Probably whomever does the Irish rugby for the BBC.
                      I know that with the TV they take the feed from RTE but use their own commentary teams. I have no idea who they co-opt for the radio – but it sounds like an outfit to avoid.

I'm pretty sure Mehrtens will turn up somewhere in the NH. Unless Carlos puts in a couple of stinkers
                      I don’t doubt it – but it would be overkill for us to sign another Fly now. Plus a lot of his English ‘friends’ in the forwards are at Welford Road.

The bottom line is that he simply doesn't do enough often enough.
                      Yes he never made the most of that huge springboard – then again can you build a career on one lineout steal? Also, and you may well say pot and kettle here, but his temperament is rather suspect at times.

Or even how and where he's seen him.
                      On Sky – the chap in question is a true rugby nut and clearly has a very understanding wife. I haven’t seen enough of Sharpe to hold a similar opinion. Still as I like to say the forthcoming test will measure the quality quite nicely when they square to lock jaw and Kay.

The problem with starting both Waugh and Smith is that it weakens the lineout. As well, ideally, the best way to use Waugh and Smith is for one to replace the other off the bench, exploiting the extraordinary energy levels.
                      That is sound reasoning to my mind. I’m a bit concerned about trying a lock at flanker though – regardless of who it is. It works more naturally the other way most of the time (e.g. Corry, Lions blindside, can play back five). The Hill-Back-Dallaglio combination is aging but it should eat a ‘green’ blindside alive really.

Comment

Simply put he kept them in the game. Very impressive tactical kicking in the second half – and we should be kind and put the first half down to the elements – it was a strong wind apparently.
                        Mmmm. Very talented player. I suspect making the move was the best thing he ever did. He was always under the microscope here and that can wear one down. Over there, unknown (relatively speaking), could have done wonders for him.

Sad to see the ground not full though – clearly the French don’t travel unconditionally the way the Brits will.
                        Well, we did offer to pass around le chapeau for Tamerlin, didn't we? Damn Gallic pride! If he'd gone, I'd've listened to more of the match on the World Service just to hear his dulcet screaming: "Tuez l'arbitre!".

It would be an added bonus if you found a new good-will ambassador for the team as well.
                        Yes, indeed. With Burkey and George in the autumns of their careers, we need another diplomat.

And so he should have. That try, Mr Howlett’s, the ridiculous space and respect given Mr Lomu and the emergence of Ben Cohen as a world class finisher are my main memories from November.
                        Funnily enough, my main memory is the best pack in the world having trouble with an AB second-string pack. Oh, and I should warn you that the first-string Kiwi locks and flankers are all in mighty fine shape and tip-top form.

Yes he never made the most of that huge springboard – then again can you build a career on one lineout steal? Also, and you may well say pot and kettle here, but his temperament is rather suspect at times.
                        He obviously took more than the ball from Lantern Jaw.

On Sky – the chap in question is a true rugby nut and clearly has a very understanding wife. I haven’t seen enough of Sharpe to hold a similar opinion. Still as I like to say the forthcoming test will measure the quality quite nicely when they square to lock jaw and Kay.
                        Well, yes, that's the only test, so to speak. If he was watching S12, I wouldn't place much store in it. Locks can often go missing in S12 through no fault of their own. The Reds also had a stinker of a season.

That is sound reasoning to my mind. I’m a bit concerned about trying a lock at flanker though – regardless of who it is. It works more naturally the other way most of the time (e.g. Corry, Lions blindside, can play back five). The Hill-Back-Dallaglio combination is aging but it should eat a ‘green’ blindside alive really.
                        What we need, simply, is another Owen Finegan. Apart from his work around the pack, he does a lot of fine lineout work too. He wasn't considered for the squad because he's only played two half games since last November. Apart from missing just about an entire Test backline through injury, I think the blindside situation is their biggest dilemma. There are a couple of good young blindsides in S12 but they're very inexperienced. I have a feeling they will go with David Lyons. Whomever it is, anyway, they're going to be "green". There's no alternative.

Comment

Firstly I must say congratulations to Tamerlin and his beloved Toulouse. A storming first half performance made them worthy winners – though the less said about that lack of direction in the second half the better.
                          Thanks Havak, the Stade Toulousain was running after a second H Cup since 1996...

You are right about the second half, the Stade Toulousain decided to manage their 19 points advantage rather than playing in order to score... and I really don't like at all when they are behaving like this. The Toulousain's defence and lineouts in the second half were great but all the attacks were clumsy...

All in all this H-Cup final leaves me a bitter taste as if it had not been a real one. Two french clubs (we already met the USAP twice before this game) as a mere domestic championship game, a disappointing performance in the second half (at least not how I would have liked the Stade to play, with "Panache"), lack of supporters from both sides (to the exception of Trevor Brennan whose village of origin has made the trip)...

The trip was really too costly Havak though, Finbar, you would not have heard me yelling "à mort l'arbitre" ( ) or anything like it as I am never booing the referee (though many would have deserved it), the players or the kickers...

I am usually singing the good natured supporters' songs though I remember once or twice having sang one I don't consider as a good taste one which is:

"On vient,
                          On gagne,
                          Et on s'en va."

(We come,
                          We win,
                          And we go back).

The first one was fully deserved, I went to Agen to see a Challenge Yves Du Manoir (former french cup with a real different taste) half-final game against the Sporting Union Agenais which supporters had so a shocking behavior we thought we were in a second division S***** Stadium. The Stade won at the last minute by a narrow margin after a tensed game. This song was a way to tell the Agenais that they had really pissed us off... :
                          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• unknown (relatively speaking), could have done wonders for him.
                            Given what has been achieved by a team where he is (arguably) the only ‘big’ name I would have to agree.

Well, we did offer to pass around le chapeau for Tamerlin, didn't we?
                            We offered – and promptly forgot to do so. Naughty of us.

Yes, indeed. With Burkey and George in the autumns of their careers, we need another diplomat.
                            I was thinking of an Eales or a Lynagh for the new generation as it happens (as I suspect you knew).

Funnily enough, my main memory is the best pack in the world having trouble with an AB second-string pack
                            Then you watched a different game. This ‘second string’ pack (and it was only missing the incumbent number eight and openside) whipped the ball out quicker than Austin could fling an insult in it’s efforts to avoid being steam rollered – and it still didn’t win them all their own ball.

It’s the first string backline that caused us huge problems – we never paid any attention to the Mitchell “we lost but we won development tour” nonsense – they left a handful of players at home and that’s all.

Did I bite deep enough?

Oh, and I should warn you that the first-string Kiwi locks and flankers are all in mighty fine shape and tip-top form.
                            Very good news. They will after all need to be. Playing an English pack at the end of a long season they are still in for the test of their lives. The old school back row axis is back (much as I would prefer Moody fit myself). All the boys need for motivation is a few newspaper articles from Mr Mehrtens and Mitchell’s “we lost - but we won” propaganda sequence.

Seriously – is McCaw fit and Jack also playing? I’ve been looking forward to seeing if these guys live up to the billing they get.

He obviously took more than the ball from Lantern Jaw.
                            You’ll no doubt laugh at this but there’s a huge difference. Jonno gets into trouble when people have a go at him or when he is defending team mates – it’s red mist all right but defensively provoked pretty much all of the time. Justin has a nasty tendency to go on the front foot with the biff – witness his attempt to kill Healey for the crime of being able to run past him in the mid field.

Locks can often go missing in S12 through no fault of their own. The Reds also had a stinker of a season.
                            The down side of a fast flowing game. I see you have some mobile front rows though. Like Mr Dunning – who seems to like to break his own team mates noses.

I have a feeling they will go with David Lyons. Whomever it is, anyway, they're going to be "green". There's no alternative.
                            I honestly have a feeling that puts you at a disadvantage. Could it finally be time for the Rose to down the Wallabies in their own back yard. Might be worth a wager even.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
                              "à mort l'arbitre"
                              Thanks for that. I wasn't sure, so I just went with the good old imperative of tuer.

I am never booing the referee

*laugh till I cough, splutter and choke*

Pardon my mirth!

Comment

Given what has been achieved by a team where he is (arguably) the only ‘big’ name
                                But not for much longer. God Bless Les Grenouilles and their - cough - "salary cap".

We offered – and promptly forgot to do so. Naughty of us.
                                Yeah well, I only ever thought we were teasing him. Get his hopes up, withdraw the offer.

Did I bite deep enough?
                                Well, it had been a while. Just testing your reflexes.

Playing an English pack at the end of a long season
                                Pre-emptive excuse noted.

Seriously – is McCaw fit and Jack also playing? I’ve been looking forward to seeing if these guys live up to the billing they get.
                                Yes, they're ready and waiting. Good grief, I'm starting to sound like a Kiwi. Still, that's how highly I rate them.

Justin has a nasty tendency to go on the front foot with the biff – witness his attempt to kill Healey for the crime of being able to run past him in the mid field.
                                Yes, but justifiable homicide - aka doing the species a very big favour - is a bit different.

The down side of a fast flowing game. I see you have some mobile front rows though. Like Mr Dunning – who seems to like to break his own team mates noses.
                                Children and alcohol, a dangerous combination.

I honestly have a feeling that puts you at a disadvantage. Could it finally be time for the Rose to down the Wallabies in their own back yard. Might be worth a wager even.
                                I wouldn't bet on us in a fit in the forthcoming Test. Not missing just about an entire first-choice backline, and at least one second-choice also unavailable. It might be a different thing in the WRC when most of them should be back, although it's said Stirling Mortlock won't even have a match under his belt before the WRC.

Comment

Working...
                                X