This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak

I have a feeling that Caligastia and Ravagon will still be quite happy at a final line up of Kiwi v Kiwi?
    I for one won't be shedding too many tears at the prospect.
    No news yet on the condition of Steve Devine though.

In other news it seems that the Brits have committed to sending their star squad on the NZ tour and the second-stringers to Canada.
    Tickets for the June 14th Wellington test sold out in < 1 hour after going on sale.

Comment

• The NZ/Aus squad has not been finalised yet.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

I know what you mean. They are the single best reason for PR to my mind – though I’m not a great fan of a system that might give the monster raving loony party several seats.
        God Bless Screaming Lord Sutch and may he Rest In Peace.

The ‘swinging voter’ is joe and joeline average – the idea being they will vote for the party that puts a few more pounds in their pockets every month. They therefore hold the entire UK political system to ransom as everything is geared around keeping them sweet.

Hence progressive taxation is dead here – because J and J are IMO too daft to understand that high indirect taxation hits them more than it does high earners – and also negates the lower direct taxes.

As I say this is simply my view if the system I have to live in – others can disagree.
        No argument from this end.

This one I’m framing. Marshall was shocking in the S12 game I saw him helm last month – pedantic but on the wrong issues. It’s a nice bit of proof that Nh and SH have different perspectives.
        I've already expressed my opinion on him - incredibly erratic.

And again the difference. The fact teams frequently get away with an infringement is not an argument for the ref ignoring it! More valid is your point about consistency – it should always be pinged or always let go – not mix and match. And Kaplan is as poor as Marshall.
        No, Marshall is worse than Kaplan. Who argued that the ref should ignore it because teams get away with it? I didn't. My only point was the inconsistency. It was probably a rare ruling because the tackled player hit the ground but the tackler didn't. Normally, both hit the ground and the tackler is required to get back to his feet before competing for the ball. That, in itself, just about physically requires the tackled player to be released.

I have a feeling that Caligastia and Ravagon will still be quite happy at a final line up of Kiwi v Kiwi?
        So they should be. The Crusaders and the Blues were the two most consistent teams in the comp. It will be a fascinating final between two quite different styles. The question is whether the Crusaders' methodical, controlling style will nullify the Blues' potential brilliance. It didn't earlier in the season when the Blues smashed the Crusaders. OTOH, the Crusaders have lifted their game recently.

it’s not like flankers in my day I can tell you.
        This would be when? Shortly after Mr Ellis picked up the pill and ran with it?
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

The NZ/Aus squad has not been finalised yet.
          The first train-on Wallaby squad is announced next Monday.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I've already expressed my opinion on him - incredibly erratic.
            You surely did. And that made me even keener to frame Caligastia’s description of normally liking him.

Who argued that the ref should ignore it because teams get away with it? I didn't
            It could be read as you implying it – though perhaps I inferred it incorrectly. It’s not unknown.

That, in itself, just about physically requires the tackled player to be released.
            Pretty much should do so yes. The mind boggles at the exceptions?

It didn't earlier in the season when the Blues smashed the Crusaders. OTOH, the Crusaders have lifted their game recently.
            I’m backing Blues as they were my early S12 faves (I like following success – Go WASPS!!).

This would be when? Shortly after Mr Ellis picked up the pill and ran with it?
            I’m flattered that you feel I could still hack it on the field with our 21 year old scrum half Harry Ellis.
            In terms of squads England have named the North American tour squad and the squad to face the barbarians in a fortnight but the SH tour has not been named. Woodward is being cautious and keeping the country guessing.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The referee of the H-Cup final will be mister Chris White, though I remember some of his performances as having been appalling I can't remember recent games held by him.
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoStar
                No way, I've never heard of him doing this before. Wow...
                I seem to remember him going on a few drunken nights that ended in tears a few years ago...
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

This one I’m framing. Marshall was shocking in the S12 game I saw him helm last month – pedantic but on the wrong issues. It’s a nice bit of proof that Nh and SH have different perspectives.
                  I would pull out the old "our games are more entertaining" line, but I saw some pretty impressive highlights from the Heineken Cup on Sky Sports a while ago. But then again, it was just the highlights...

And again the difference. The fact teams frequently get away with an infringement is not an argument for the ref ignoring it! More valid is your point about consistency – it should always be pinged or always let go – not mix and match. And Kaplan is as poor as Marshall.
                  I would say the infringement the SH teams get away with the most is probably offside. Aside for that I don't think we get away with too much.

All-NZ Semifinals would have been nice, but I can live with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                    It was probably a rare ruling because the tackled player hit the ground but the tackler didn't. Normally, both hit the ground and the tackler is required to get back to his feet before competing for the ball. That, in itself, just about physically requires the tackled player to be released.
                    Bah, it's a law they should change don't you think? I thought Sam did extremely well. He has really impressed me this season.

Comment

You surely did. And that made me even keener to frame Caligastia’s description of normally liking him.
                      Perhaps I've only seen him at his best games. Considering he's Australian, Finbar has probably seen a lot more of him than me.

Comment

• The referee of the H-Cup final will be mister Chris White, though I remember some of his performances as having been appalling I can't remember recent games held by him.

On balance one of the very best refs in the world Tamerlin. Doesn’t take any nonsense from scrums though so I can see you not being happy with him.

Heh Caligastia can you post from work again?

But then again, it was just the highlights...
                        I get the same problem with S12 – I’m too idle to watch them live in the early hours so I watch the highlights the next day. Perhaps it makes teams look good.

Having said that H Cup rugby is of a terrific standard past the pool stages. Except for the French teams perhaps.

Just joking Tamerlin!

Aside for that I don't think we get away with too much.
                        Killing ball. You still lead the world in that – but we are learning.

All-NZ Semifinals would have been nice, but I can live with this.

Considering he's Australian, Finbar has probably seen a lot more of him than me.
                        I can remember specifically registering him helming games twice – and he had two shockers. It might be unfair. I shall keep my eye on him.

Leicester signed the England prop Julian White today. We do seem quite serious in strengthening the squad.

Comment

Heh Caligastia can you post from work again?
                          Nah, called off sick today. I felt terrible this morning, but after calling in to say I couldn't make it I felt a lot better. Funny that.

Killing ball. You still lead the world in that – but we are learning.
                          Yeah, well I have seen teams get pinged for that quite a lot lately.

Comment

It could be read as you implying it – though perhaps I inferred it incorrectly. It’s not unknown.
                            I just went back and re-read my post. I (i) explained the relevant law; (ii) pointed out what happened and how it contravened the law; (iii) pointed out that refs - including Kaplan - rarely, if ever, penalise for it; and (iv) blamed ref inconsistency. An incorrect inference was drawn? I think so.

I’m flattered that you feel I could still hack it on the field with our 21 year old scrum half Harry Ellis.
                            Now that is desperate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
                              The referee of the H-Cup final will be mister Chris White, though I remember some of his performances as having been appalling I can't remember recent games held by him.
                              A Havak favourite until recent times. Something to do with Mr White having ventured south of the equator and lost his rugby senses as a result.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
                                Bah, it's a law they should change don't you think?
                                Except that the law - that a tackler must release a tackled player - is one of the fundamentals. Without it, every breakdown would turn into a static wrestling match. As I pointed out, Tuolopo's was a slightly unusual case because the tackled player was on the ground and Tuolopo hadn't left his feet. He only had to release the tackled player for a split second - hands off, then compete for the ball. The tackled player was well and truly isolated, and Tuolopo would have either stolen the ball or won a penalty for the tackled player not releasing.

Comment

Working...
                                X