No announcement yet.

Mayday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Argentine crisis began in 1914. The money that was made from the WWI foodstuff exports all went into private holding and back into British banks. The beginning of the end was in 1914, August, the day British investment ceased from one day to another.

Obviously, the 1929 crash was the coup de grace that ultimately destroyed the country's economy.

I highly doubt whether the country was still 'up there' in 1940, I doubt it very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
      Argentina was already within the top 8 as of 1900 (In theory behind the likes of the (US, Germany, UK, France, Russia, and so on). So their high spot was not just due to WW2 devastation and Nazi money but trade in agricultural commodities. And they made a killing during WW1, one of the biggest winners, in terms of money.
      Most of the world then was carved up among the great colonial powers though. Basically you had the european nations (17), the US, Latin America (16), the Ottoman empire, Ethiopia, Persia, Thailand, China, and Japan and that was it, so it was a much more limited playing field.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fez
        I wanna admit this right now: I love Argentina. I don't want to leave this country in two - three months and go to California. If given the choice, I prefer to live here instead. My folks are moving to Northern Italy.

And by the way I lied about my boyfriend, he isn't mexican, he is infact Argentine. I just said he wasn't because I could be cornered. Well no sense in denying it.

I read minds! I read minds!

--

I believe we were in the top ten, at least talking about per capita income from 1880 to 1950 - being 1950 the last year- anyway, we even had a really good standard of life in the seventees, the real downward spiral started with the 1976 military coup.
        Periodista : A proposito del escudo de la fe, Elisa, a mí me sorprendía Reutemann diciendo que estaba dispuesto a enfrentarse con el mismísimo demonio (Menem) y después terminó bajándose de la candidatura. Ahí parece que fuera ganando el demonio.

Elisa Carrio: No, porque si usted lee bien el Génesis dice que la mujer pisará la serpiente.

Comment

• Fez, you didn't change a bit. You are still mixuep up. And I dont understand how you can say that you'r not into politics anymore, and then , since you started posting back here you cant stop talking about politics and imposing YOUR way of thinking. Now, if I am right, you are a "Corporate capitalist progressive neo-facist middle center right winger".......

How can we take you seriously?!

Think about it.....

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• Someone told me that the name "mayday" which means S.O.S. to american pilots comes from the frenc phrase "venez M'AIDER" which means come and help me.

So m'aider was taken on and then transformed to the closest meaningful word in the english language, namely "mayday".

Comment

• Originally posted by Plan Austral

I read minds! I read minds!
              I guess it changes my situation some too... You are good at reading minds.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Allow me to briefly interject into this insanity.

Originally posted by Fez
                And if that crook Menem would of not borrowed and then steal all that money, everything would be fine.
                and

Originally posted by Fez
                I hate Menem and I hate Kirchner
                now from here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=9

Originally posted by Fez
                Again, I am like Menem.
                and

Originally posted by Fez
                Anyways, I do like Menem. He is a great person and a great statesman. President Menem that is.
                'Nuff said.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Well let me clear it up. I am no longer sure. Those statements of approval were taken from the past and subsquently invalid but I did more research into Menem and found this guy doesn't deserve any praise.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Alright, let's give Fez the benefit of the doubt that in no more than four days of research, his opinion of Menem did a complete 180.

Again, I have to ask: should we just assume, as a default position, that anything you say or any people you put forth as good examples is a useless, completely uninformed opinion subject to total reversal?
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                      Again, I have to ask: should we just assume, as a default position, that anything you say or any people you put forth as good examples is a useless, completely uninformed opinion subject to total reversal?
                      That seems to be the general trend, yes.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Alright, let's give Fez the benefit of the doubt that in no more than four days of research, his opinion of Menem did a complete 180.
                        I was reading reports... including allegations that he took $10M (or was it $20M?) from the Iranians to cover a terrorist attack on the Jewish Cultural Center in Buenos Aires.

Wrong.

Comment

Alright, let's give Fez the benefit of the doubt that in no more than four days of research, his opinion of Menem did a complete 180.

Oh man, I'm happy that you decided to stay Fez, the forums wouldn't be the same without you.
                          "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                          X