No announcement yet.

Wonders of the World - the list of those that are in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was at GenCon, they were giving previews by someone at Firaxis. He stated in no uncertain terms that there is a CIA Headquarters small wonder that helps (or maybe allows) spying.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarthinos
      When I was at GenCon, they were giving previews by someone at Firaxis. He stated in no uncertain terms that there is a CIA Headquarters small wonder that helps (or maybe allows) spying.
      The Pentagon is already in, they should have made it KGB Headquarters. The US has enough wonders included, can't they even throw one in for the Russians?
      Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

'Small wonder' - you mean a minor wonder?

Having it as a minor wonder would make more sense. That way the US could have the CIA, the Ruskies KGB and the UK has MI6. It could be named something like 'Intelligence HQ'.

Comment

The Pentagon is already in, they should have made it KGB Headquarters.
          Nope, it's fine the way it is. The Pentagon was built for the Army, not a spy agency. A centralized control center for an army makes more sense for the effect it does than a headquarters for some snoops.
          "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
          "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
          "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Originally posted by Christantine The Great
            Nope, it's fine the way it is. The Pentagon was built for the Army, not a spy agency. A centralized control center for an army makes more sense for the effect it does than a headquarters for some snoops.
            As far as I understand the point is not "The Pentagon vs KGB": the point is the large use of american (or west centric) name for small/main wonders, also when there are similar available in others area of the world (i.e. KGB vs CIA).
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Added it to the list. Note that CIA stands for Central Intelligence Agency so the name is civ-neutral.
              A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
              Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I remember reading somwhere, that all wonders from Civ2 will also be included in Civ3 in some capacity, though many will only make it as minor wonders and some will have their effects changed.

On top of the Civ2 wonders, I recall that the following will be included in some capacity:

internet
                Pentagon
                CIA
                Rome rules

Comment

Remember that now we know that some minor wonders become available when you have achieved certain things (eg, coal and iron available in one city, first special unit, etc), so not all have a prerequisite tech per se.
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
                    Added it to the list. Note that CIA stands for Central Intelligence Agency so the name is civ-neutral.
                    Hmmm, not really Any other country define espionage with different "politically correct" name. We used "service" (in italian, of course) instead of "agency", no mention to "central", more relevance to military vs non-military status...

IIRC the USSR KGB stand for "Committee for State Security".

Better use a real neutral name as "Intelligence Department"
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Ribbanah-

I don't think that the Tower of Babel is a wonder. That picture alone is not evidence of anything since it is the picture that is being used as a promotion for the entire civ game and does not represent one wonder. Also that picture doesn't resemble the Tower of Babel. That was merely Breugel's title for his painting which was more allegorical than realistic. Finally what attributes would the tower have? Reaching heaven? The Tower is an impossible wonder since it was never completed and its construction brought the DEstruction of the empire that built it. I would be nervous that a deity would strike my civ down for the impertinence of building a tower to reach heaven. So, will you take it off the list?

Comment

Customized small wonders?

It would be nice if the small wonders which needed it are customized per civivilization. So the americans can found their CIA and the russians their KGB. The americans their pentagon etc. The french their Notre Dame, the english their Westminster Abbey, etc. In a lot of cases the same imagery could be used. But it would be even nicer when the imagery also depended on the civ, when the city view would be a surprise every time you play another civ.

Comment

Initial post updated.
                          After all this time, we still don't know what strange wonder comes with Monarchy!
                          A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                          Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

check out the lower right corner of this screen for confirmation of the Grand Cathedral Minor wonder...if you have really good eyes you can make out a city building the Great University minor wonder in the city screen as well.
                            Last edited by monkspider; September 5, 2001, 23:37.
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

From the new civ3 movie:

The pyramids
                              The hanging gardens
                              The colossus
                              The great lighthouse
                              The great library
                              The oracle
                              The great wall
                              Art of War (?)
                              Sistine chapel
                              great observatory

All shown in the wonders of the world view.

Comment

Wow, Sun Tzu's Art of War is a wonder??? I like it!
                                http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X