Early pyramid construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Insite
    Ok but back to the point of the thread, whay wouldnt you want the extra population? If you have a hassle with extra population growth causing unhappiness, why not micro manage idivigdual cities to minimise the production of food, cutting down on the generation of new citizens.

If you quickly get a city to optimal size, workers can be shuffled around to other terrain squares or resources that produce more shields or arrows and less food.

Also, I have found that settler production, and hence expansion happens at a far faster rate if you do have the P. Especially if combined with the micromanagement strategy above. Mind you I can understand that this won't suit everyone as it does require a lot of fiddling at the end of each turn.
    Yes, of course, you can do that, Insite.

But for every worker you move to trees you have given up an arrow. And until size five you are limited to elvis. Unless you single-mindedly pursue Happiness WOW or improvements, these extra citizens will just get in the way.

Keep the population down and the arrows up to speed your scienc and income.

Later, when your science gives you superior weapons, and you have prepared for growth to begin, go capture the pyramids and prosper.

This sequence has been shown to be efficient; but, you are free to try another way. Many paths work and will get you success. This is known.

Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

The statement by STYOM to the effect that if you must minimize food, you do not need the Pyramids says it all.

Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

This is one of those discussions where everyone is correct...hence the beauty of the game.

To beat the game at Deity I used DaveV's formula of building the HG and sleazing. (I probably learnt more about the game from his posts than from any other source) Then other strategies were tried ... Lighthouse/Magellan - Super Ironclads rule on huge waterworlds! (Really fun games) Then ... playing a semi sleaze (cities two squares apart ) and going Republic to either land or conquer. And many other variations ... including the Trade Sleaze in Fundy giving many years with a tech a turn.

But I have been very impressed with strategies that solo has used for his early landings, which are rethinking several aspects of the game - often using knowledge which has recently been discovered. (Please see the comparison game on this forum)

So if you are new to Deity play ... yes build the HG every time. But if winning at Deity is becoming a habit then try something different.

Capture the Pyramids with Commie/Fundy after building SoL ... very powerful.

-------------------------------------------

SG(2)
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

including the Trade Sleaze in Fundy giving many years with a tech a turn.
          That's why you build SoL even with knowledge of Oedo years.

If you want to check out an example, you can look at the just finished Hard Times sucession game in the Civ 2 General forum.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

i have never been one to build the pyramids in SP games....unless your talking civ 1 of course

Happiness really isnt' a problem on deity if you pick up HG....and/or a different wonder to offset happiness problems...or just keep your cities small like the many sleezers do around here

pyramids is someting i tend to acquire in the mid game during one of my raids into the infidel empire..if you can call that shoddy land they have an empire..real men would never be conquered...oops was i thinking out loud again

anyways..... pyramids works fine, but generally there are "other" wonders i want and then by the time i get around to it, its gone.....
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I prefer the HG, then switching to republic - your cities grow faster with celebration days than with pyramids.
              In deity mode, there are much more important wonders to build.
              I always try to build MP and and the Colossus and the LH and the GL (only to prevent the AI from getting it - normally I'm leading in tech development).
              Sure, it's hard to get them all - but in my some games I manage to build them all.
              In my last game, Rome was founded on desert - but two wheat and two iron mountains and some hills and grassland and two little lakes made it a good site.
              There are no silly questions - only silly answers
              <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

Haven't built Pyramids in ages. I think of it as a great way for the AI to spend its production.

Lighthouse is great if there's significant water. Colossus is a fave if I've got a good beaker town.
                But lately, I've been consistently running to Monotheism / Mike's Chapel, often with Sun Tzu.

HG works great, but I tend to forget when it's about to expire. Sad to admit, but I still haven't really mastered the HG-run to Republic strat. I've done it, but only once or twice.

Guess I've been having too much fun kicking tail with those vet crucs...
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

if i miss HG + Col + Sun Tzu's + GW + GL then i'll go for pyramids, otherwise i'd rather not deal with the unhappiness
                  I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

CtG - you rate the Library above the Pyramids? Pray tell...

SG[1]
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar the Great
                      if i miss HG + Col + Sun Tzu's + GW + GL then i'll go for pyramids, otherwise i'd rather not deal with the unhappiness
                      In my games, it's a virtual certainty that the Pyramids will be the first WOW built by the AI, followed by HG and Colossus. I often won't even start a WOW until the AI does, knowing we won't be in conflict.

Deity/7/raging/MGE/Mac
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Inm my opinion. TAKE CIV2HACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                          CtG - you rate the Library above the Pyramids? Pray tell...

SG[1]
                          For MP, perhaps?

I've never built GW - when is that ever needed against the AI? I haven't built GL for a long, long time. But in MP GL could be quite handy.

I seldom build Sun Tzu - but then, I tend to play on big maps. On small maps, it's quite worthwhile - conquer the world with Crusaders - but on gigamaps, you often can't even find all the AIs before it expires.
                          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

tarot rules... what?

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

For MP, perhaps?

I've never built GW - when is that ever needed against the AI? I haven't built GL for a long, long time. But in MP GL could be quite handy.

I seldom build Sun Tzu - but then, I tend to play on big maps. On small maps, it's quite worthwhile - conquer the world with Crusaders - but on gigamaps, you often can't even find all the AIs before it expires.
                              boats my friend
                              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever

boats my friend
                                250x120 square maps... 6 move boats... = 20 turns to go halfway around the map, even in a straight line. There's a lot of territory to discover. I'm still looking for the French and Indians in my current game - and even with 9 move Destroyers, no luck yet

On the other hand, I trampled over the Aztecs nicely and am busily doing the same to the Russians and Carthagines.
                                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Working...
                                X