Ban HG in Duels and/or MP games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by War4ever
    ever notice that weaker players do better with it.....yes the skilled guys don't need it to be competitive..its about creating balance....
    i agree that it can help out weaker players, but don't see how raising the cost would help. It would just take that much longer for players like me to build it. We'd fall behind that much faster.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

the beauty of discussion.....everyone has an opinion and its nice to see which angels people use to make their judgements..

i thought it might be a nice change to spice things up a bit.....but if we want to play the same game again...thats fine too....*sigh*
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Don't be so despondent....didn't you notice me agreeing with you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
          As far as GW goes... I don't see why we don't allow it in 3 or 4 persons games. I can see why it kind of sucks in a duel, but I have no problem with it in larger games.
          i agree, it's one of the few wonders i was allowed to build and therefore must not be a huge advantage to its builder
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

In a 4 player game, If you get pinned in and are totally surrounded by the other players, GW could keep you in the game. Again, I can see why it shouldn't be allowed in a duel... but in a bigger game... we should go back to allowing it.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I see more and more "No city bribe", with "no GW" automatically included.
              To me, it's 2 different points of contention.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I would agree... they are two very different points.

One forces you to TAKE the city through military means, and the other makes it difficult to do so
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

I'm asking because obviously I don't know, but if one has the GW, is it not possible to destroy the wall?
                  Would it rejuvenate itself, but only at next turn?
                  If so, couldn't one destroy the wall with a dip, with forces at the ready?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

If you have GW, diplos can't "take down the wall"...

Now, if you have GW and the city has built a City Wall, you can destroy the wall with diplos, but the City will still have City Walls via the Wonder.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

The point of making the 2 stipulations together is precisely in the factor you were unsure of Slow. With GW it is natural to allow city bribe, since otherwise you are just left with racing to the tech that makes it obselete.

Comment

Or you could just play King and then no wonder would be overpowering. But that might mean then you would have to fight sooner and then you probably wouldn't be able to keep up with better players.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                          The point of making the 2 stipulations together is precisely in the factor you were unsure of Slow. With GW it is natural to allow city bribe, since otherwise you are just left with racing to the tech that makes it obselete.
                          Ok. So my assertion that the two should not be combined was correct, and my question on GW was answered by Ming. Thanks.

And Hi Sunshine. Good to see you. Your mother, Boann, has been worried about you.

Comment

Gee, been busy at work, and missed this whole discussion. *sigh* So if this sounds stale, DEAL with it.

It does cost you expansion if you build it early. A little later, it's a game of chicken and adds some spice guessing if someone will build it the second you start researching pottery.

I don't plan to have it, but if it falls into my lap, I'll build it.

It probably should cost 300 since it is that valuable, but I really don't want to have to argue the value/cost of every wonder in the game. But taken seperately, it's easy to make the case.

War brings it up because he usually doesn't get it. So it's kind of similar to Eye's telling us our setting suck because his stratagy is taylored for the setting he prefers so there's no reason anybody else should have an advantage. (mostly kidding on this one)

On the GW, I wouldn't have a problem reinstating it if we played more than one session games. In one session this one's a much bigger crutch than HG. But I'm always willing to listen and contribute to the discussion.

RAH
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oh sure. Early on, instant walls are fairly fastastic.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Ok. So my assertion that the two should not be combined was correct, and my question on GW was answered by Ming. Thanks.
                                Uh, no. Since we have established that it is natural to allow city bribe when GW is allowed, and many players do not like city bribe, this leads by extension of logic to them not wanting to play with GW allowed. Simple really.

Comment

Working...
                                X