No announcement yet.

"Nothin' Fancy" Sxn Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming we have no resolution of this in the next 18 hours or so - I propose to continue from SCG's save sometime tomorrow and hope that Grigor will be able to slot in more successfully at a later date - any gainsay this?

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

(this is a picture of DaveV wandering off mumbling)
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

OK, that seems right. Somebody (DaveV?) should start from SCG's 2500BC save and I will jump in when I figure out how to post a saved game.

Comment

Grigor, the only thing left for me to believe is that you're running a PC version of 2.42 on a Mac through a Mac-to-PC utility. (While I can't state it with total certainty, I'm quite sure that MGE was the first and only Mac release of Civ2. Panag would know for sure.)

Anyway, if so, I suspect that this may be the cause of your saves not appearing valid when carried back to PC platform.

Just a thought...
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

jrabbit -

You may be correct - however, I cannot upload MGE games in, for instance, STYOM's succession game. I know that I got the game CD before the multiplayer aspect was included and never upgraded. I know that my saves are readable if sent by email. I suspect that there is some jiggling which I have to do on my end in order to make the file recognizable when passed through the Apolyton attachment program. I want to wait until Smash finds this thread - he will probably be able to answer it right away - or there may be no practical solution.

Of course, as a Mac user, I consider it almost a matter of principle not to know anything which involves getting even one tiny baby step past the user interface

Comment

Suggestion from an interested observer:

Send a polite PM to smash. He might never find this thread, otherwise (smash not being a regular succession game player).
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

OK, here is another try

King Federico 1750 BC.sav

I don't think it worked. Here is yet another try,
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, no joy..."not a saved game."

Monk
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Oy vey, what a mess!

Many apologies for being awol Saturday night and Sunday, but work intervened more than usual. I was simply not coherent enough to read threads Sun am after work, etc.
                    Official ruling: This is a 2.42 game, inspired to include SCG who has only 2.42… (While a PowerPC can play Windows games such as CivII 2.42, the Macintosh port has the MGE file format.)
                    Sorry Grigor, but please try one of the MGE games.

Therefore, somebody with 2.42 shall take up where SCG left off, and DaveV next in play order. (Reading the hemming and hawing above I kept hoping somebody would jump in and do just that, kinda like watching a tape delayed sporting event.)

STYOM: "Is that your final answer?" It is unnecessary for any 2.42 player to drop out… you are free to change your mind.

old play list; Shakespeare's Theatre makes all citizens content

Straybow
                    SCG
                    SG[1]
                    DaveV
                    STYOM
                    Lafayette
                    SG(2)
                    Last edited by Straybow; February 4, 2003, 20:08.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Hopefully we can get a definitive answer at some point as to why no one can load Grigor's game - maybe when JRabbit gets home to his mac and sees if he can load the game?

Wonder if DaveV's play will be that much different from Grigor's ICS attack of the situation?

And on another front, maybe I'll get lucky and get MGE somewhere economically and be a bit more available (the one on ebay is now pushing $35 )
                      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

@ Straybow - oh, well, since you asked so nicely I'll rejoin. But this week and weekend is looking busy, so if I need to defer my turns, I'll post to say so and pass my turn.

Originally posted by SCG
                        And on another front, maybe I'll get lucky and get MGE somewhere economically and be a bit more available (the one on ebay is now pushing $35 )
                        *cough*Cedric Greene*cough*

@ Grigor... you may need to get MGE to play at all... in any format, if Mac only produces MGE-compatible saves. You're welcome to join the MGE games, but you said you can't download them...
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

When I upgraded to MGE, I overwrote the Civ2.exe as recommended. I still have a Civ2org.exe file. Will that work for the 2.42 saves so everyone can use them?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by SCG

For what it's worth, I suggest you keep checking that site. I got a new, still in the wrapper, MPGE game for $15, including shipping.

Monk
                            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

[QUOTE]Wonder if DaveV's play will be that much different from Grigor's ICS attack of the situation?

ICS?? Hey, I built a road! I'll bet Dave ends up with 10 cities by 1750BC

Enjoy this game - I hope to be able to join at some time in the future.

Comment

obiwan - it is certainly worth checking - both FW & CiC leave the original exe file untouched, but renamed so try clicking on your Civ2org.exe and keep your fingers crossed ...

SG[1]
                                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                                X