The Sweetness and Light Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

As you well know, Friend Monk, an explorer can capture a city by direct assault (if it happens to be empty) - it is therefore de jure & de facto a military unit!

SG[1]
    Well said Rabid One!! I think you could tell by my tone that I am not surprised by your ruling, now. Just wanted you to put a flange on that point.

Tight restrictions are needed to make a really tough challenge. Last night I reread the logs and saves from the recently finished No Science game. You fellows rocked. Even though it took until the mid eighteenth century, the result had never been in doubt. Especially after DaveV led that first rabid breakout against the Americans. Hence the tight collar on military activity in this game. I think you have set up a worthy challenge for us.

Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

re: the Bouncing AI capitals

I have a theory that once the AI has run out of 'obvious' builds it starts a Palace - hoping to be able to tranform it into a Wonder, but when the tech doesn't surface or the woW is stolen they get lumbered with half a dozen half finished Palaces.

SG[1]
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Advice #1

Bob_Smurf42

If you wish to learn how to win at deity level, you must first learn how to use your workers (in order to maximize either food, or trade arrows, or shields).

Here are 3 examples derived from your save:

- Pool of Grace: 1 worker is busy in the ocean (providing 1 food + 2 arrows); if you move him to the 'silk special', he will provide 1 food, 2 shields and 4 arrows (bonus: 2 shields + 2 arrows)

- Beggarsville: if you move the worker who is busy in the ocean to the 'fish special' nearby, you get 3 food instead of 1.

- Green Meanie: same as Beggarsville

(having a look at each city and trying to improve its production is called 'micromanaging'; some people say it is time consuming, but it is highly rewarding ... and it takes very little time after the first few games; have a nice time training )
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

re: the Bouncing AI capitals
          Dunno if that's it, [1]. Seems like the Musical Capitals happen in bunches, and start long before WoWs are being built. In my experience, at least.

Of course, it could be that you're basically right, except for anthropomorphizing the AI as "hoping"...
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

But I'll give this a shot, likely tomorrow depending on my schedule.
            Could you please update the playlist, SG's?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18

Could you please update the playlist, SG's?
              Dear Jedi,

You are being way too subtle. I suggest you ramp the volume, thusly...

"Dag Blame It SG[1], slot my name on the bleepin' playlist!!"

Or not. You decide.

Monk

Comment

King La Fayette looks at the island and decides to move a few workers (hello Bob ) and also to grow our glorious capital city to size 5 (joining 2 settlers), in order to increase its productive capacity.

550BC: Pottery discovered; I choose to research Trade (mostly because with that size of map the power of MPE is huge)
                525BC: Temple completed in Green Meanie
                400BC: Sticky Meanie (on the west coast)
                350BC: Trade discovered (start researching Map Making); diplomat disbanded in Mean City (makes MPE possible next turn).
                325BC: MARCO completed; we give and swap enough techs to be able to swap maps with anyone (except the Americans who were willing to get 50g to start with: we said 'nuts', and they replied 'war'; we couldn't care less since we know where they are anyway and they are VERY far away); Temple completed in Pool of Grace.
                300BC:We start researching Philosophy ( with 30% Science, because we will have cash available to help with incremental rushbuilding of the 4 caravans required for LH, which we consider a HIGH priority)
                250BC: King La Fayette notices that his reign has been long enough to allow him to retire and have a beer
                Attached Files

Comment

@La Fayette:

Re:Point of Grace-I didn't notice the opportunity as it was near the the end of my turns, would probably have seen it next turn

Re:the other two-I was trying to maximize trade there, while slowing down growth to get temple/warrior before next red face w/o buying
                  Originally posted by SCG

the GL ... it balloons research costs.
                  I didn't know that! makes sense, though...
                  April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
                  Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

obiwan - sorry I thought you were already aboard and were exhorting me to move the . You are now in.
                    LF - great turns - we are now definitely on the way

IMHO - next priority is Medicine & Shake's followed closely by Mono & Mike's, in this strange game The Oracle would not go amiss - we have LOTS of time - for once the science WoWs can take a back seat while we concentrate on growth and the eventual mega income from the tithes provided by the happy WoWs
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Downloaded, zipped on work PC, and sent to home comp.
                      I play tonight.

Note: If this works, it means I will no longer require a zipped .sav posting. (Of course, my Macophilic ways still dictate that my own posts be zips, as macsaves are useless for the likes of this bunch.)
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                        IMHO - next priority is Medicine & Shake's followed closely by Mono & Mike's
                        IMHO LH comes even sooner...
                        Anyway the lagomorph is the one going to decide (and he's getting wiser and wiser )

Comment

Comment

Ok I clicked a few exciting buttons -- any chance of an average player stepping into the mix of things?
                            Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Originally posted by Old n Slow
                              any chance of an average player stepping into the mix of things?
                              You are very probably not so old as I am ... and not so slow as SlowThinker is
                              Hence I bet that [1] will tell us you are welcome .

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette

You are very probably not so old as I am ... and not so slow as SlowThinker is
                                Hence I bet that [1] will tell us you are welcome .
                                Well said M La Fayette.

And as for the average question, we are all average; together we all average each other out; and some of us are a lot more average than others...but we are all of us, still learning new things.

As far as I can tell, the only major disqualifier is having a thin skin when it comes to receiving "feedback." Also, one has to be prepared to have a lot of fun.

Monk

Comment

Working...
                                X