MY-2199 - Planning and Execution Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY-2199 - Planning and Execution Thread

I'm sure we'll want to schedule a chat for the invasion in MY 2199 so that we can execute the invasion step-by-step. But first, let's go over the general sequence of events for MY 2199:

1. First, we should try to mind control Choke on This. If we can be successful with this, the rest will be a piece of cake. We should attack with a land probe team first. If that probe team should fail to fully eliminate one of the Morganite probe teams, that's okay. Next, we'll send up the Disco Volante. Hopefully the Disco Volante or the first probe team will kill at least one of the probe teams off (if not both). Assuming that's the case, the last land probe team will finish off the wounded probe and hopefully maintain a fraction of a movement point with which to move into Choke on This and commence the mischief. We can sell all of our rec commons for 220 EC's next turn if we need extra cash for the mind controlling operation.

2. Second, I think we should sail our SATF up to Choke on This and engage the Morganites there before we do anything else. It seems to me the success or failure here will determine how far afield we can send our other forces without making them vulnerable to counterattack. If we can take out the entire air force in Choke on This, we can spearhead into Morgania with our other forces as far as we want, pretty much. On the other hand, if our SATF runs into problems and the Choke on This airforce is left standing, we may have to limit our first-turn advance to Vander Eudaimonics, Impaler Polymers, and a few cities on the west coast of Morgania.

3. Attack with the Laconian Task Force (LTF). How much damage we can do and how far we can advance with this group will determine how widely we can afford to disperse our Northern Arcadian Drop Units whilst capturing cities. It will also determine how many reinforcements we will need for the invasion as a whole. First, the amphirovers will attack Vander Eudaimonics and clear out that city. (Alternatively, we could attack this city with B-8's, but I was wanting to save the B-8's for attacking cities further afield, such as Morgan Vulcanology and Scorpi Ski Resort. I figure we might as well make use of the amphibious ability on our amphirovers). Then we'll capture the city with the missile infantryman or something. Then we'll sail the cruisers into the city and unload our attack forces, subsequently unleashing hell on Morgania. We'll fly some F-8's into Vander and, assuming we capture Impaler Polymers that turn, we'll fly those two F-8's stationed at (46,14) into there as well.

4. We attack with the Northern Arcadian air force and drop units. We could probably empty and capture Morgan Mussels, City of ZZT, and Micha Archives in MY 2199 if we execute things correctly. We'll have the three drop units aboard the cruiser right now to work with, and we'll also have that drop chaos rover to be commissioned in Fort Liberty in MY 2199, which we can drop onto the Morgan continent and move into Micha Archives on the same turn.

5. Finally, when the first turn of the invasion is all said and done and the smoke on the battlefields of Morgania begins to temporarily clear, we will be able to assess what kinds of things we will need to build, etc.

Note: Edited in accord with the changes in the battle plan concluded upon in the MY 2198 thread.
    Last edited by Zeiter; December 2, 2005, 18:23.
    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Ah, here's an idea: if there is a likelihood that Choke on This will be razed in the process of us trying to capture it (we really need to run some tests on this), we can opt for a slightly alternative plan:

1. In MY 2198 we can instead move the IoD to (21,31). From there its probe teams can reach both Morgan Weapon Arm and Choke on This. Then in MY 2199 we sail up with the task force and destroy a certain number of units in Choke on This (including its probe team, since it will be one of the first units destroyed because of its higher defense). Then, with the IoD, we sail to (24,26) and disembark a probe team. We see if we can mind control the city, and if not, we can destroy more units first and try to incite riots. Then, if we decide we don't want to mind control Choke on This, but instead want to mind control Morgan Weapon Arm as before, we can, with the IoD's last movement point, move over to the southern shore and disembark the remaining probe team.
    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

I estimate that, if everything were to go optimally according to plan, we could end MY 2199 with 11 (or more!) Morganite bases in our hands.
      • LTF forces will take Vander
      • LTF forces will take Impaler Polymers
      • LTF forces could take Morgan Vulcanology
      • LTF forces could take Scorpi Ski Resort
      • LTF forces could take Morgan Robotics--maybe
      • Probe armada could take Choke on This
      • NATF forces will take City of ZZT
      • NATF forces will take Morgan Mussels
      • NATF forces could take Micha Archives
      • SATF forces, with help from NATF aircraft, could take Hindenburg Habitat
      • Mobile Infantry to be commissioned in Messena could take Morgan Mines with a little help from the airfleet

Edit: Added the Morgan Mines and Morgan Robotics captures.
      Last edited by Zeiter; December 3, 2005, 01:09.

Comment

Here's a grand overall view of the whole invasion and all the cities we could potentially capture during MY 2199, if everything works out according to plan:
        Attached Files

Comment

As Zeiter suggested, let's start research on Biomachinery next turn!
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

The grand invasion looks great. Can't wait for the broadcasts of spartan victory to resound over the datalinks. If I'm counting right, thats almost 1/2 of the morgan bases! Can we hold all of them after the inital assault?
            -=/+\ Wuy3 /+\=-

Comment

Originally posted by wuy3
              The grand invasion looks great. Can't wait for the broadcasts of spartan victory to resound over the datalinks. If I'm counting right, thats almost 1/2 of the morgan bases! Can we hold all of them after the inital assault?
              Yes, that would be half of the Morganite empire. And, if we can manage to mind control Choke on This (where the bulk of the Morganite airforce resides), I think we could hold every single base, and even have the Morganites finished off by that next turn! If we can't manage to mind control Choke on This, I predict that we might lost 2 or 3 cities to the counterattack, but that would only delay the inevitable. The Morganites are going down, barring an unthinkable catastrophe (such as them spotting the SATF in the fungus waaaay far away from the shores of Morgania this turn and shooting it down (very unlikely, IMO)).

Comment

Hmmm, you know what would be really sweet? If we could offer peace terms to the Morganites in which they had to become our junior partner and hand over the last 5 years of infiltration data on the Gaians, in exchange for letting them keep some of their bases and letting them live. I think the infiltration data on the Gaians would be worth it. Although I'm not sure we could conduct such diplomacy with the sunspots being in effect.

Edit: Oooh, we could even demand that the Morganites keep on giving us infiltration data on the Gaians, and demand that the Morganites NOT disclose this agreement so that the Gaians aren't persuaded to cancel their pact with the Morganites!
                Last edited by Zeiter; December 4, 2005, 12:14.

Comment

Hmm - interesting thought - but what's in it for them?

After our invasion, they clearly can't win, and as co-op victory is disabled, why continue playing?

Comment

We could insist on stuff like an account of their private forums and their in-game password to make sure they're not duping us. But I don't believe they will comply. I mean, how much fun is that? I'd sooner think they will jump ship and swim over to Gaialand.

Who is interested in this turnchat btw? Great time to de-lurk for lurkers

Comment

Seems like the Angels are doing us a favour.
                      I guess the "revolution" is related to Sparta switching to Power (if I understand correctly), and them thinking they're the target. This will of course put the Morganic minds to peace.

Comment

Hmm - not sure (from GM's latest post) that it's us that they fear - they are asking "are any of our troops for hire"?

Maybe they see what the Hive is building (chaos drop troops) and are getting very afraid of being beaten by the AI

Of course it could be Sparrta-related

Comment

One thought.
                          We are in sunspot activity. Call me obsessed with WMDs but is there any plan to prototype X-planes?
                          They could be the ultimate nail in our reputation's coffin and bring the Gaian to their knees without too much pain for us.

And don't forget such an idea could fall in a Gaian brain (elite X-4 planes kamikazing on Fort Sup... )
                          From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                            Hmm - not sure (from GM's latest post) that it's us that they fear - they are asking "are any of our troops for hire"?
                            Maybe he's the "rebel" who wants to "forge an alliance with the Spartan agressors"?

Comment

Here's what took the 19 reloads (and after 12 hours of work, it's still a work in progress)

But I think I have simmed the Morgan defences and our offensive task forces correctly

Ignore the clutter that I still haven't removed (eg around the Hive, with some of our obsolete B-4's etc)

The Angels are pretty up to date (except for their garrisons) and I've guessed at the Gaians infrastructure - but got the population per base OK

I would have held on to it to finish, but the Angels surprised me by moving their turn to Morgan so quickly

At least we can simulate the invasion and play around a bit

Load it as a normal game

Edit: A couple of things about the sim. I couldn't find a way to put damage on the Morgan noodles at Choke (and never have found a way to put damage on noodles - choppers, land and sea units are easy, but the editor doesn't display properly with noodles)

And for some reason I just can't get the Morgan energy per base to match, so don't go by the mind-control costs

Edit II: Sim removed, as updated version 2 posts below
                              Last edited by Googlie; December 5, 2005, 22:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X