No announcement yet.

Sparta-Angels relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonel Googlie strode back into the Conference chamber, and took his seat, looking visibly annoyed.

He rose, and addressed the Conference:

"The Federation has an announcement to make:

We will honour the Truce recently signed between the Federation and the Corporation

We will honour a Truce between the Federation and the Gaian Union, provided we have their acceptance of rights of passage through the canal separating Hive lands from Gaian lands, if ever these waters should again fall under Gaian control."

The Colonel turned to look squarely at the Conference chairman:

"But we are perturbed at the duplicity of the Data Angels. Even as they twist interpretations regarding the Federation's right to control access to the University Protectorate, they are, behind our backs, negotiating deals with the University. We find that conduct unacceptable, and advise all parties that this action has abrogated any deals or agreements made between the Federation and the Data Angels.

We now withdraw from this Peace Conference, as we judge its objectives have been met."

Sweeping up his documents and data crystals, the colonel turned and stalked from the chamber

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoddasmannen
      What's the next project for us if we miss out on the AV, the Cyborg Factory? (= instant elite units )
      I think so. But I just updated the tech choice simulators with this year's tech acquisitions, and I fear we may not get to MMI first. I noticed if the Angels acquire Cyberethics (which they probably will - if not from us then from the PKs after scratching together the necessary cash), they will be able to switch research to MMI now they have Neural Grafting.

Same with the Corporation btw. If they get Neural Grafting (which they're currently researching) and jack up their research, they'll no doubt get MMI soon too.

On the short term military speaking us getting MMI later isn't a disaster as choppers have been toned down , but it would mean someone could snatch the Cyborg Factory from before our eyes.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• Originally posted by Googlie
        I'd say that's a strong probability.
        So I'd move my initial comment from "strong probability" to "almost 100% certain"
        Wow great sleuthing.
        (I don't really know what the word "sleuthing" means, but you often use it in the covert ops data acquisition context, so... )

Originally posted by Googlie
        Hmm - another possibility, though, is that the Angels linked an AA and got Adapt Doc, then traded it to the PK's for Neural grafting.
        Hmm, I assumed the Angels got Neural Grafting from the Gaians, and Lal researched Adaptive Doctrine.(?)

On a side note, if this is true, makes you wonder why the Gaians already gave Neural Grafting to the Angels but not the Corporation.

Comment

• Let's hope we get MMI with our AA (although MMI is a level-6 tech. I think we'd be more likely to get a level-5 that we're missing)

Comment

Let's hope we get MMI with our AA (although MMI is a level-6 tech. I think we'd be more likely to get a level-5 that we're missing)
            thats hoping for a alot
            I hate blind research
            -=/+\ Wuy3 /+\=-

Comment

• LOL - we're playing "directed research" but you're right - cashing in an AA is just like playing "blind" - it's a bit of a lottery

Comment

• oh sorry didn't know. I can't seem to get the files working right in my version of SMAX. All the faction graphics are messed up and the colors are all weird (spartan not = black).
                -=/+\ Wuy3 /+\=-

Comment

• Angels have offered to trade Neural Grafting for Cyberethics, straight up

We're in no hurry to get it (other than we want to cash in that AA, and don't want NG as the cash-in) as we'll either get it from the PDL or from Zak, after he gets it eventually from lal

I suggest we stall for a turn to see if we do get it through the (just completed) Planetary Datalinks, and if not, then we can discuss executing the trade next turn

They reiterate that the Ascetic Virtues deal stands as negotiated.

So we are at an ethical crossroads ............

Comment

• Well, the tech trade on its own is less than interesting for us, and we might as well tell them that.

And we need to tell the new guy to use the embassy. PMs are tedious to handle and can cause misunderstandings if not posted in full.
                    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

They reiterate that the Ascetic Virtues deal stands as negotiated.
                      But provide no reason?

Comment

• Unfortunately for us, they need not provide any reason. The deal was done, so no matter what we say, they can just sit there, silently calling our bluff (if it is one...). The question arises: Who should get the project, and what would the consequences be?

If we build it, we take serious diplomatic damage. Can we live with that? As much as I hate to admit it, I think not just yet. On the other hand, improving our Police rating would be very good for the popbooming...

If the Angels build it, we get a fast-growing far-away faction, that is not-very-hostile towards us. Well, not openly hostile, but then again, the long way might be the most important thing preventing them...

If Morgan builds it, we get another target for our raids. BUT, we also strenghten them, helping them get out of the hole we put them in with... our raid. Oh, the irony...

Hey, maybe we should let the Gaians build the Ascetic Virtues? It would not help them much anyway, while keeping the project out of the hands of Morgan or the Angels. Can we even do that?

Comment

• Brilliant .......................

Originally posted by Modo44
                          Hey, maybe we should let the Gaians build the Ascetic Virtues? It would not help them much anyway, while keeping the project out of the hands of Morgan or the Angels. Can we even do that?
                          Hmm - Spartan altruism at work here?

I can see it now:

"Dear Friends :

We at Sparta Command are getting concerned that the Gaian Union is falling behind in the technology race, and risks becoming irrelevant on Chiron.

We would like to remedy that, and offer you the opportunity to buy/trade from us the technology Planetary Economics, and with it the rights to build the Ascetic Virtues SP (This will increae your POLICE rating to a par with the other factions, and allow you substantial growth in the next few decades)

And our terms are reasonable for such a unique opportunity:

Treaty, 250 credits (which can be paid in up to 5 instalments), and the undertaking that you will not onward trade that technology to any 3rd party. As well, we would require formal acceptance of our right to broker any deals between our protectorate, the University, and any other faction.

Interested"

See if that turns their crank?

Comment

• Well, no harm trying, right? They just might have some hidden resources to actually build it. And even if not, we can surely use the cash.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modo44
                              Well, the tech trade on its own is less than interesting for us, and we might as well tell them that.

And we need to tell the new guy to use the embassy. PMs are tedious to handle and can cause misunderstandings if not posted in full.
                              I've sent him the URL and password

And second thoughts on Cyberethics. The A's must be one or two turns from getting it, and they have NG, so if we trade them CyberE, they'll then be just a turn or 2 away from MMI and the CF

I'd rather trade them CyberE and Plan Econ for NG and MMI, and the promise that they'll not build the CF in return for our keeping our commitment not to build the AV - plus a commitment from them not to onward trade Plan econ to any 3rd party

Meanwhile, if we can get a deal from the Gaians re Plan Econ (and maybe Morgan as well?) we can set off a multifaction race for the AV, with lots of wasted minerals when the winner gets it and the loser either has to sit on an instabuilt SP, or cash in

(And the deal with the G's and M's would also entail their not building the CF)

Comment

• Well, if we can get everyone to promise not to build the Cyborg Factory, that would be great. Even more so if we can make some of them waste resources. The thing is, if only one of them disagrees or banks out of a deal, we get screwed. What of the possibility of the Gaians building Ascetic Virtues? What can we offer to Morgan for their agreement? The reduction of the Modo Doctrine?
                                Last edited by Modo44; May 18, 2005, 14:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X