No announcement yet.

The Phalanx Editorial Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I'm starting now to build Issue #3, if you want to stop the presses the time is now.

We're supposed to learn French as our second language, but of course, as English is the international lingua franca, I speak French worse than English. Heck, I have hardly spoken or read French the last two years.
    Replace "French" with "Swedish", and that part'd fit me too. Of course, in Belgium AFAIK it's like half French and half Flemish, here it's 95% Finnish and 5% Swedish. But I digress.

I wasn't sure which part of Belgium Ghent is in, so I just guessed you spoke French, mainly because I'd forgotten what the other language was caled.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Here are the contents:

In Issue #3:

- New Feature: Netflash! (news report)
      - Being a Spartan, Part III (educational)
      - What Our Emblem Stands For (educational)
      - Hazing - a Necessary Evil or an Abomination? (opinion)
      - Recon Rover Routine Report - MY 2115 (news report)

Only five articles (unless I've missed one), but the long Rover Report and the bulletins will cover for that just fine.
      Last edited by Kassiopeia; July 28, 2004, 20:11.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Some commentary may be in order.

I did a lot of actual editing in this issue, creating more white space and modifying some articles to make them fit in better with the big picture. I hope that's ok with everyone, your contributions rock.

The Constitution was something I came up with at a whim, and I think it's not really necessary for us to actually write anything substantial about it. Maybe make it something we refer to sometimes to justify stuff, a sort of trump card or the like. The recurring theme of the Constitution being finalised and drafted and finalised again might make for an interesting venue, obviously someone is stonewalling it or there aren't in reality any plans at all to make a Constitution.

This was a pretty "heavy" issue, not that much humour like in #1 or #2. It's a difficult thing to write so it's more than understandable, but I'd like to get a lighter tone to #4. Maybe add a tinge of that good old Hiverian pompousness by painting things with an overtly positive brush.

Comment

Speaking of The Hive, here's a silly little article about good ol' Chairman Yang. I assume we'll meet the Hive before the next issue is published, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be a bad idea to let it be known that we've met Yang already. BTW, I don't know how to put pictures in the middle of posts, so I'll just attach them at the end, and you can rearrange them when you edit the paper together.

--

Chairman Yang Morbidly Obese!

With the Hive forces met by the Spartan gun foil team and comlinks exchanged, the Spartan high command prepared for their conference with Yang. Lt. Col. Maniac and Captain Kassiopeia opened the vidfeed channel and waited anxiously. Finally, the image of Chairman Yang drifted into focus on the holoview. The entire Spartan high command recoiled in horror and disgust. Since Planetfall, Chairman Yang had ballooned in weight to over 2500 kg!

Before:
          [insert picture of Yang]

After:
          [insert picture of Jabba the Hutt]

Recent intelligence indicates that Chairman Yang is currently devouring over 150 kg of food a day. Apparently, Yang’s doctors continually warned him against his current eating habits, at least until last month, when Yang ordered them murdered for giving “unfavorable advice.” Our scientists estimate that Chairman Yang’s heart will collapse in on itself in approximately 7 months, unless Chairman Yang immediately reduces his food consumption. Even more troubling, Chairman Yang appears to be going insane. Barely able to construct the most basic sentences or form coherent words, Yang’s mind seems to be in a pathetic state. Here’s an exclusive audiofeed transmission from Hive HQ to illustrate:

Captain Kassiopeia: “I suggest that we discuss sharing our map data.”
          Chairman Yang: “Iko waki lolo uda han solo."
          Captain Kassiopeia: “Pardon me? I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand what you are saying.”
          Chairman Yang: “Goda nadi wando hido millennium falcon, ho, ho, ho…”
          Captain Kassiopeia: “Uhhh…okay...”

Thus, an insane psychopath currently commands the planet’s most powerful military and overall faction. We can only hope that Chairman Yang starts to restrain himself from eating huge amounts of food, and that he finds a way to pull himself out of his mental madness.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Zeiter; July 29, 2004, 03:35.
          Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

And here's the Jabba the Hutt/Yang picture:
            Attached Files
            Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

I'm literally Laughing Out Loud here, great

Now THIS is propaganda, gentlemen.

Comment

Comment

and Maniac, Great article too.
                  My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Bump.

So, so far I have a few netflashes in mind, then we have Being a Spartan IV and of course Zeiter's great piece. Would like a few more articles, but take your time.

Comment

Could we not include Googlie's Attack plans for the Hive in the next Phalanx?
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Yeah, that's an excellent idea! We could write about it being a top secret information leak from the high command or something.

Comment

Yeah, more leaks

Comment

i'm composing little blurbs about Primus's escapades as Lead Spear and eventually Lead Harpoon. where should i post these?

Comment

You can post them here, they most likely are Phalanx-worthy material.

Comment

I still needed to write some follow-up article on the gladiator story. Here's a first draft. Any suggestions for improvement?

Once again the traditional gladiator tournament was held at the nearing end of our current Mission Year. And once again the traditional City Parade was organized, a demonstration against the fights. But this year things ended differently. Sparta Command base governor Fernando Arroyo, known to be a conservative, had all demonstrators arrested on the following charges:
                                • Disturbance of public order
                                • Public nudity
                                • Suspection of sympathies for the Gaian naked treehuggers

To their horror, the demonstrators were immediately sent to the arena, as Sparta is suffering from a shortage of criminals - and thus possible gladiators. Repulsed by this course of affairs, shortly after new people came to the streets, demanding the release of the demonstrators, and defending the right to hold a City Parade. But in response supporters of the gladiator fights started counterprotesting the Parade-supporters. Fortunately the Shinsengumi Armoured Brigade was able to intervene before things turned ugly. Yet tensions still remain. Both parties are holding petitions to rally for their cause, and are vying for your signature.

So what side do you support? Vote in our poll, and let us know!

Possible poll options:
                                I demand gladiator fights!
                                I demand a City Parade!
                                I demand a compromise: naked mud wrestling fights!
                                I demand a Xenobrew!
                                Last edited by Maniac; August 3, 2004, 08:51.
                                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                                X