No announcement yet.

MAP: Improved Huge Map of Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some one mentioned my Save Game Editor, cool.

The current version that's in the FILES section has one slight problem that when you change unit positions from a saved file, you don't get the visible map when you move, the area that you were previously started in is visible. I've now found the values that decide if tiles are visile or not, so this will be fixed in the next version.

I can also change what type the units are, so maybe if you think you should start with two settlers instead of one, then that may also be possible, as for adding units or removing I'm not sure about as yet.

You never know one day this might turn into a scenario editor!!!

Don't forget to go and add any sugestions that you may have.

Cheers.
    James.

Comment

NZ modification

As a resident of the beautiful NZ, I've taken the liberty of making a few changes to the two islands.

Map:
      I've completely redone both islands to reflect a more realistic size and shape (though like the previous version it is still comparatively larger than Australia, which unfortunately can't helped, sorry Australia
      I've corrected the two mountains which should have existed in the north and corrected the southern Alps in the south Island.

Resources:
      I don't know why there were uranium deposits in NZ, but I've added 2 coal to reflect the non-renewable resource situation.

I've also added one gold in the south of the south island. There was afterall a gold rush in the early 20th Century. (and there was actual gold

I've added fish resources aswell to the larger fishing grounds of NZ. It is after one of NZ's greatest resources.

Encampment:
      I've added in the far north an encampment to reflect the Maori tribes. (they all hung out in the north).....and I've reduced the coastal shelf on the pacific as it was too big.

Well that's it from me. If anyone dislikes the realistic changes let me know

Karl.
      Attached Files

Comment

land o' kiwi

NZ looks a heck of a lot better subheat. two points of interests though, the north island looks much bigger than i thought it was relative to the south island. and are both islands that large relative to Australia? i am not going to touch them, AND NO ONE ELSE SHOULD EITHER, since you subheat are the kiwi around here for now. of course if there are other NZer's looking in, collaboration may be in order. in anycase, NZ looks 20 times better than the non-descript patches of grassland that was in the original map.
        Never laugh at live dragons.
        B. Baggins

Comment

Re: land o' kiwi

Originally posted by Solomyr
          the north island looks much bigger than i thought it was relative to the south island. and are both islands that large relative to Australia?
          The south island is slightly bigger than the north, but shouldn't really be noticable on world maps. You're right about the comparasion between and Australia and NZ however, and the angle of the North Island was also slightly off.

I've redone it, made new NZ as small as it can be and still look like NZ . This version certainly fits in to the bigger picture a lot better, and it even looks more like NZ. It's still big enough to fit three large cities aswell. (the're also two specks of land just to the North of NZ, Fiji and Samoa.)

Any comments from anyone appreciated. What'd you reckon Solomyr?

Subheat.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I redid Africa, it has some fairly big changes in its vegatation and altitude, but nothing major. i have the newly done alaska and new zeland (great job Albatouand subheat_nz).

I made a lot of changes regarding resources. I used a map from nationalgeographic.com that is very very good at placing major resource areas.

I reworked turkey. it had too many hills in the middle; they should be more around the edges. I also added a little forest south of the Caspian Sea.

Back to the resources. the ones i messed with the most were oil, uranium, iron and coal. I believe i have 24 oil, uranium and 32 iron, coal. in response to AlmightyBob
            For the stratigic and luxurie resources the max of anyone you should have is 16, since this is the max number ov civs you can have. If anything you should have a few less to make things interesting, from 12 to 15.
            You must have more than 16 because resources run out. And from my own experience, it isn't hard to use up a couple iron deposits.

Yangtse River has been added in China. There is something wrong with China still, and i just can't figure out what to do. I wish i could zoom out.

Finally, i didn't know what to do about Istanbul, Ireland, and a few other spaces on the map where you can either sail through or walk across. I ended up leaving them how they were, but they are really bugging me. I wish you could sail through diagonal spaces.

Thanks to everyone who as worked on the map so far.
            Attached Files
            Yeah, that's right.

Comment

i do not want to insult anyone's hard work. but the western US just isn't cuttin git for me. there is hardly any desert, the mountians don't do justice, and there is too much land that can support too many large cities in too many places. if you look at there, are basicily 4 large cities on the west coast, and they are in very specific locations (at the mouths of rivers, and in bays). and alaska looks like too much fun to play, too easy to make quality cities in a regoin whose largest city is a quarter million.

that all said, i have some changes that, IMHO, i find more to my likeing (boy i sounds like i jacka$$) anyways, it is on a much older version of the map, so when i get back from the holiday (yeah grandmom's house) i will make the changes to a more recent version.

if nicebeam, or anyone else who feels they have a strong grasp of the geography would like to help, i welcome the company. especially when it comes to the placement of resources (i have a strong urge to put uranium in NV, but then i remember that they just blew up the Bombs there).

my apoligies for stepping on anyone's toes, but all i want is a nice looking map that is accurate and fun to play....and 40 hours a week to play civ3 instead of sacrificing school.

Solomyr

PS sorry for spelling errors, and thank you for letting me rant
              Never laugh at live dragons.
              B. Baggins

Comment

Err, as far as resource depletion: I've found whenever a resource depletes, another pops up somewhere else on the map in the same turn. This really only becomes obvious when you get a huge empire going. So you could safely tone down on the number of resources.
                "Destiny triumphs over human endeavor and then goes MAD!!!"

Comment

In retrospect, I did put too many grasslands in Alaska; most of those 6 grassland squares (count 'em) I'd prefer to be plains. That would be more accurate. However, as I previously stated, the editor won't allow tundra and plains to sit by each other. Perhaps it would be better just to replace 2 or 3 with Tundra or hills.

Only 600,000 people live in Alaska, but like in much of North America, the land can support many more. Just look at China and India; they ARE using the land to the brim. Our land sits there and soaks up CO2
                  "Destiny triumphs over human endeavor and then goes MAD!!!"

Comment

Some small changes.

Who messed with my Country???

Removed some oil. I think the major oil fields in the world are in place, shouldnt we leave it alone now? If everybody has oil, there's no point in trading.

Added one coal in Scotland so the English have 2 in Britain, no Iron?

Shouldnt Italy have at least one resource?

Possibly one or two other resource changes I forgot to mention, nothing big.

Added the Canárias, Madeira, Açores and Cabo Verde islands (Portuguese names).
                    Attached Files
                    Alexandre Madeira
                    I create worlds. :)

Comment

• Woohoo! Civ3 reached Portuguese stores, just bought it!
                      Now I get to play with the full version

Started a game using the 3.8 version of the map, and only ancient civs (no americans or russias...).

As the Romans (started in correct position, changed the other's with jimmyh's simple but awesome editor

But playing in Warlord level (hey, im new to civ3).

Turn 1, try it if you want.
                      Attached Files
                      Alexandre Madeira
                      I create worlds. :)

Comment

• Hmmmm, who went and messed up all the NZ resources.
                        ONce again they are inaccurate. There's no iron in the north, but there is is coal in the southern alps and a little bit of gold in the far south.

There is fish resource in the far north and far south aswell. (just because we're small doesn't mean we don't got nothing

Comment

• Errors

Nicbeam not only reorganized ALL the resources, but he updated an OLD VERSION of the map! So ALL THE WORK that v3.3-3.5 (and maybe even earlier) was LOST. Therefore, Sunbeat & Alexandre could you please update v3.5 with your changes since v3.7 & v3.8 are flawed older versions of the map. Although I know this means Nicbeam's work is lost he was wrong to use an older map version to do his updating... this is also why ALL the changes Alex, Sunbeat, & others have done were lost.

ANYONE MAKING CHANGES, PLEASE UPDATE THE LATEST VERSION POSTED. If you are worried about someone updating the map while you are make a post saying you're working on the map with an estimated completion date.

ANYONE MAKING DRASTIC CHANGES EVERYWHERE SHOULD GET APPROVAL FROM THE MAJORITY HERE 1st. Too much work has been put into this by too many people to see 1 person "completely change" main areas of the map now.

Again v3.7 & v3.8 should be discarded, next update should come from v3.5 (also listed below as v3.9, there was no v3.6).
                          Last edited by Pyrodrew; November 20, 2001, 20:27.

Comment

• v3.9

So there is no confusion or further mistakes please use this v3.9 to update on...
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I used the map that i thought was the most accurate. I made changes to make in more accurate. And then i added the new Alaska and New Zealand to make the map even more accurate. Don't use my version if you don't want to. Anyway, it isn't difficult to make the changes back yourself. I added the Alaska and NZ changes manually. It's not too tough.

P.S. I did post that i was making changes on Tuesday. That didn't stop about 6 new maps from popping up. I used some of the changes from those maps that i thought were good.

And i don't need your approval to change the map.
                              Yeah, that's right.

Comment

• As for the resources in New Zealand: Yes there is some coal, gold and iron in New Zealand. The iron deposits are by far the most major of the three. The coal and gold is extremely minor. It is nowhere near enough to be included on the map. Its there, it just isn't significant enough.
                                Last edited by nicbeam; November 20, 2001, 22:07.
                                Yeah, that's right.

Comment

Working...
                                X