MAP: Improved Huge Map of Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pyrodew:

Your comment about the gems is a good point. Unfortunately there are not enough mountains to place a reasonable spread of resources, which means that any more placement would make any cities built there incredible production houses... all the same, your point is sound, so perhaps it should be added?

Also your reef comment makes sense too- unless someone is already working on Australia I will edit these errors, just give me the nod...

Comment

Yea, and keep in mind that a single oil resource is all it takes for your civilization to build as many oil requiring units as you want.
      Think Australia is good enough now

Removed that barbarian camp near the American's starting position and added a few in other locations.

The rivers... Hmm, not only the Rhine, other rivers are wrong. Russia is wrong, the Ural mountains should be more to the east, Russian starting location should be more to the east, some rivers wrong there.

Standby for update.
      Alexandre Madeira
      I create worlds. :)

Comment

Ok, changes to rivers across europe.
        Changes to the Ural Mountains and some others near the Black Sea, some small changes to Britain and Japan, and other minor stuff.

Named it 2.07 cause Pyrodrew skipped one
        Attached Files
        Alexandre Madeira

Comment

Substitutes

Docken - If no one else is updating it, definitely run with it.

Your comment about the gems is a good point. Unfortunately there are not enough mountains to place a reasonable spread of resources, which means that any more placement would make any cities built there incredible production houses...
          Gems could be placed in jungle as well. Yet, I offered the gems, iron, & aluminum (alumina, bauxite) as just possible substitutes for removing 2 of the 3 oils. Didn't want anyone to think I was robbing Australia.

Named it 2.07 cause Pyrodrew skipped one
          I can only count to 2.05... after that I have to guess.
          Last edited by Pyrodrew; November 15, 2001, 15:29.

Comment

hehehehe
            Yea Docken, go ahead. I think im done with my updates

Now, if only Firaxis would release a small patch just to allow us to start each civ in a specific location, or to allow us to add units in the editor so the settlers would be in place when the game started.
            Alexandre Madeira

Comment

Brazil exports a lot of iron (I think that it's the country that most exports it). Also, There are many oil pltaforms in Brazilian sea, as it is impossible to be added, I guess that the best is to add some oil in Brazilian coast.

Comment

Resources
                -Ok, added in 3 Gems for Australia, 1 Cattle as well.

(to represent where cattle *would* go if people colonised, as that is where they are in reality)

-Added in fish to represent Great Barrier Reef

Terrain:

-Fixed up New Zealand a little as well, as it was looking a bit off.
                Attached Files

Comment

Alexandre Madeira:
                  Good work.
                  But the map of Russia is not exact.
                  Siberia and the Far East very much are not correct.
                  It is necessary to add the rivers: Lena, Yenisei, Amur.
                  These are very big rivers.
                  There should be more mountains.
                  In the north there should be more woods.
                  On your map Siberia and the Far East are very poor resources.
                  It is not correct.
                  In version 2.07 I could not find a place of start Russian.
                  It is ready to help you. Many thanks for your work

Comment

Nobody cares about Russia.
                    Yeah, that's right.

Comment

This is my first time posting to apolyton so I hope you like the map - I have reworked Satya's Huge map to make the world a little more geographically aesthetic - I have done the following changes...

--North Atlantic has been completely redone including expanding France, Germany (Inlcuding the Saarland) and the UK, The Iberian Peninsula (Its really hilly and full of plains) has been changed and European Russia has been modified

--Russia has been reworked to allow for Extensive Siberian Forests, The caspian and Crimean Areas are reworked, the Ob river, the Ural river and Ural Mountains and Don Volga and Dnieper rivers are fixed

--Japan and the Far East (mainly Korea and a little bit of SE asia) have been completely redone including repositioning Japan and Sakhalin Island (They are right above and Beneath Each Other)

--Western US (I'm from SoCal) has been completely redone to include the Great Salt lake and the Bay Area - Eastern Canada was also enlarge by shrinking Hudsons Bay - (It was really big to begin with) I also placed the Iroquois start area where the Sioux started in Civ 2

--The entire Mediterreanean has been redone (You can fit Five cities comfortably in Italy!!!)

The entire Middle East has been redone to give a more historically accurate vision of where Iraq and Iran should be

Overall I used Plains in many locations to help smooth edges although I tried to keep this at a minimum - The grassland is difficult to get to look straight on diagonal edges

I also incorporated the changed Australia but since I started working on the map three days ago, someone might want to check my resource placement and location of Geography.

With regards to resources I haven't fully playtested the map yet but I think I might have put too much on the map overall - I used a atlas that has major areas of everything from Iron to Uranium to wheat shown on it so I placed where I thought was historically appropriate.

Anyone thought of adding a horse to western US? I know full well as a history major that its inaccurate but without it, it means the Iroquois special unit is practically worthless from a gameplay standpoint.

Well thats that, I hope I didn't change the map too much for everyone's liking.

Oh yeah, when is someone gonna hack Civ3edit.exe so we can place Historical starting locations? I hate waiting for patches. Anyone?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Docken,

you might want to add 2 iron deposits and possibly 1 gold deposit as well as 1 aluminum deposit to India, which, during the ancient world times, produced the finest steel in the world. At this time, India has (to the best of my knowledge) 2 massive iron mines that pump out (if I remember right) 550 million tonnes of ore per year.

I know there is gold mined out of India, as well as some excess aluminum traded to the surrounding regions. I'm not sure about the gem stones how-ever, haven't been able to find any hard figures about this.

In addition, you may want to put some oil on the shore / in the water of the gulf of mexico, there are at least 2 oil stations there that I know off that do bring in some off shore oil.

Texas should have more than 1 oil field.

Siberia needs to have some gold / oil deposits (I think). I'm not positive on this one, but, I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is some decent deposits of both (might have been from a book though, can someone verify this one?)

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

JP.

Comment

Nice work on the map it looks great.

The only thing I see is greenland, it looks so barren the way it is so I looked up a site with info on it. not sure if any one cares about it but it has a several nice maps showing the terrain and where resources are at along with what areas are habitable.

hope this helps

Comment

Well, hmmmm. With so many people working on this file, I wonder what Satya would have to say about it.... heh

Just a heads up to people 'editing' the map- I only edited the map areas in which I come from (such as Australia... and to a lesser extent New Zealand), and I did so very conservatively. Perhaps we should organise this a little better- with that in mind I posted the following:

JPWhite:
                            Thanks for advice, but I am not from India and would not feel comfortable editing a piece of land I have no real expertise on. Perhaps there is someone from India on this board? I will do it if there is no one closer to India (in actual geography that is) however.

nicbeam:
                            Why trash someones efforts to help? His points are actually quite valid, and need to be addressed. Perhaps you should reconsider your comment.

Evgeny:
                            Good points- I think you should try your hand at editing them in! I am sure you are the best person for the job!

Kaptnwakky:
                            Although I haven't had a chance to look at your changes, I am sure that they are good. However, the current trend in editing this map has been towards only doing the parts you have knowledge in. Perhaps Satya could take a look at the changes and give her thoughts (after all Satya started this and should have final say)

Draconus:
                            You are right quite right, and seeing as though you have actually taken the time to look up the info, perhaps (if you had the time) you would consider editing it in yourself? I very much doubt that there would be anyone from Greenland on these boards, so I am sure no one will mind if you try your hand at it.

Alexandre Madeira:
                            Could you pretty please continue to collate all the various versions as they pop into one master version? I am sure everyone would be extremely grateful!!!

Comment

Excellent to hear people are working on a proper map. I haven't tried it yet, but I can't wait.

What I was wondering is that it seems that every region seems to be claiming resources to their territory, "scanidavians have iron", "spain is very rich", "asia had horses", etc. Iwas wondering if this would unbalance the game. The random maps make it so that each civ has several but not all resources. This makes the diplomatic/trade effort very important. If there was an overkill on resources, trade would be hardly necessary, as all civs are self-sufficient.

To counter this would be to give the resources to the worlds leading suppliers of the resource instead of to each who has found a little iron in the ground. OTOH if you want the map to be accurate, I guess some civs will be allmighty while others turn into third world countries.

Has anybody played the map and noticed a balance, or unbalance?
                              You have now entered the Civilization IV era!
                              A guide to City Specialization
                              Building Elite Units
                              "I pledge addiction to Civ4 of Firaxis Games in America, and to 2K Games which publishes it: one franchise under Sid, inescapable, with certainty of "One More Turn(TM)" for all!" - The Pledge of Addiction

Comment

From what I have found the balance of power is fairly congrous with that of the real world. Both the US and Europe are both extremely strong, with Africa being left a little in the shade. South America, Indonesia and Australia are choice colonial spots.

Interestingly enough, I have found the map to be quite good in terms of resource balance- playing from both Germany and the US I have found that while I control quite a lot of resources, I still need to trade (or capture) a number of resources which don't fall into my boundaries. I think you will agree when you play.

There is one caveat to what I just said however- it only holds true when you play against many AI players, as too few allows for wide colonial expansion, which in turn gives a smart (and quick!) player too much of an advantage, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X