Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beach Assault: Creation Thread

Beach Assault

Well, I know there's Romamini, AEII, and the Exploration scenarios to finish, but gawdnabbit I've been wanting to try out this idea I've had for about a year.

Working with the terrain2 files I discovered that a realistic beach can be created, within constraints, so I thought I might as well use it in a scenario.

My idea is a scenario where the player has to defeat an invasion force that has decided to assault a small, coastal city. The player is tasked with protecting the city that is set before his base and eventually bringing to fight to the enemy assault ship located just off the coast.

Using some clever techniques similar to those used in SS Assault, Dalek, and other scenarios I hope to create a defending base, a city in peril, and an enemy assault sub.

The theme I hope to create is quasi sci-fi/early 1900 film noir, ala Sky Captain.

The civs:

Defending Civ (Player controlled)
    Evil Robot Civ (The Enemy)
    Gate Civ - Used by Defending Civ
    Gate Civ - Used by Evil Robots
    City in Peril Civ - Controls civic buildings which can be demolished!
    Oil Civ - Units can be attacked for cash
    Neutral Civ - Used for buffer units for Gate Civs and Oil Civ

The motivation for the Evil Robot Civ is that they drink oil. The City in Peril produces oil from their oil wells. Ergo, the Eviol Robots are attacking the city. The Defending Civ can attack Oil Civ units for cash so that they can fuel (pay for) their own units. Sound simple enough?

The Gate Civs are used for transport by the Evil Robots and the Defending Civ. The Evil Robots, which essentially start on an island need to send units across the gap to attack. Civ2 sucks at transporting units, so I'm going to use the Gate idea to make sure their units get on the beach. The Gate civ for the defenders is there to even things up and remove the tedious act of moving a bunch of units across land. At one point on the map, the Evil Robots will have the chance to destroy the Gate Civ for the Defenders eliminating this bonus.

I have the beach graphics sorted out, as well as a good idea for the destroyable buildings. Other graphics and units can come later.

Input is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

I do remember getting the impression you had allot of interest in this one Harry, I think it was one of the options you had posted in your poll you took to pick your next project some time ago was it not? I'm glad you've been able to create what looks like a realistic beach, are there any close up screen shots of the beach we could have a sneak peak at?

I also love the "Sky Captain/Steam Punk" idea, cause nothing makes a game more enjoyable than adding giant oil burning robots to the mix! Feel free to use some of those units I posted recently on the industrial unit mix if you think they'd have a role to fit in this project.

Comment

I'm sure a few of those units will fit in this scenario. I'll post a beach screenshot later tonight.

Comment

Placeholder graphics are set in place for the assault ship and the defending base. Events and necessary unit placement will come later tonight.

Comment

wow this looks to be very promising!

Comment

Looks like a neat idea, Harry! You could get away with using some WW2 graphics for the human civ's and ravaged cities' units and cities, like the imagery in 'Sky Captain' (for instance, the title character flew a modified P-40).

Comment

How is a "screenie" created?
              Lost in America.
              "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
              "or a very good liar." --Stefu
              "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

@ Exile: There's a free program out there called Screenshot Wizard that leaves the file in your clipboard. After that just paste it into a paint program.

@Pablo: Thanks! I hope it turns out well.

@Patine: Well, Sarrsstock actually got it right. I looked it up and the Sky Captain theme is "DieselPunk" which incorporates WW2 prop planes. I think some good hunter aircraft might do the trick.

Comment

Alright, here's the beach graphic. It's nothing much, but you have to realize that the actual land tile extends out beyond where the sand meets the water.

Additional land tiles made out to be water can extend the reach of the "shallows". The coastline graphic has been changed to represent just water.

This effect could be useful in a D-Day scenario where numerous defenses could remain hidden below the shallow waves for the troops to be impaled upon.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And the preliminary terrain2 file.
                    Attached Files

Comment

@ Exile: If you don't have that program. You just press the "prt sc" or "print screen" button on your keyboard (should be near home, delete, page up etc) and then paste in paint.

Edit: Nice screenie btw!
                      "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                      It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Originally posted by Timor_Leste
                        I love the idea! Sounds vaguely like Beachhead.
                        Yeah sort of, but your freedom of movement goes beyond a pillbox.

OK, some necessary units placed as well as some events added. I've also been changing the labels.txt file. City Improvements have been renamed. Govts given, as well as diplomacy set.

Comment

Just a short question: MPGE or ToT??
                          Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                          Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                          POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                          LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

The entire scenario is possible in MGE so that's what I'm going with for right now. I'm going to keep this as uncomplicated as possible.

Graphics can always be made for ToT and then downgraded to the MGE palette. Conversion is always possible.
                            Last edited by Harry Tuttle; June 23, 2006, 10:50.

Comment

Working...
                            X