No announcement yet.

Teach me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am also now unable to start either warlords or the pitboss. I get a message that D3DX9_32.DLL was not found and that reinstalling the app may help.

Is this a function of the patch, or is it unrelated? I had PC issues earlier in the week and had to do a system restore, but I had no problems after that with the game, until this morning when I restarted after the patching.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Try updating your DX driver. Use this link Beta:
      Experience the new generation of games and entertainment with Xbox. Explore consoles, new and old Xbox games and accessories to start or add to your collection.

Comment

• Thanks Witt! Worked like a charm. I figure this must have been a function of the system restore.
        Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beta
          Understood. What a pain. What is the new version all about anyways, and why wasn't anybody aware it was coming? Alex?
          Sorry Alex. Just read my note above and it sounds very accusing. Sorry, didn't mean it that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gyathaar

The saves are the same.. it is just that the patch version gets embedded into locked games.. and since most pbem games use an admin password, they are locked..

What you need to do is open the game in unpatched (well, patched to 1.61 / 2.08 ) game, remove the admin password.. patch.. and then open the save again and readd the admin password
            Thanks Gyathaar!
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Direct2Drive seems to have the current warlords patch now, so i'm downloading it Hopefully it works!

Comment

• It seems to have worked, so if I was the only holdup here please feel free to re-start the game at any point.

Comment

• Something tells me that you were not the one holding up the game Snoopy.

Getting the patch to properly work was ... painful at best. So I am thinking that there are other lost souls still out there...
                  "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                  "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• For me it was quite direct... didn't even have to update my DirectX (already did a while ago).

Comment

• newbie (to PBEM) looking to get involved

Is this where one finds / joins a PBEM game?

Been Civ'ing for years. Tried PBEM with CivIII for a short while (world of reality squashed that venture... but successfully handed off a rather good start).

In a better postion now. Ready, willing, & semi-able to give others a run for the wyn.

Q: has anyone devised a way that the 1st 50 or so turns which move VERY fast can be played in say an hour online session & switch to/move to a PBEM once civs start meeting & things get more complex?

Comment

• Re: newbie (to PBEM) looking to get involved

Originally posted by Wynner
                        Is this where one finds / joins a PBEM game?

Been Civ'ing for years. Tried PBEM with CivIII for a short while (world of reality squashed that venture... but successfully handed off a rather good start).

In a better postion now. Ready, willing, & semi-able to give others a run for the wyn.

Q: has anyone devised a way that the 1st 50 or so turns which move VERY fast can be played in say an hour online session & switch to/move to a PBEM once civs start meeting & things get more complex?
                        Nope - but if you start a new thread in the same forum as this thread - using this same post - titled "Looking for a new PBEM game" - you may have luck. This thread is for an existing pitboss game that has been running for a number of months now.

As to your question - nope - not that I am aware of. Your best bet would be to start a pitboss game, and then set a time when everyone can be there to play those 50+ turns.

Comment

• thanks for reply & info

Beta, thanks for reply & info.

Another Q if I may... to learn more about the "Pit Boss" games, which I've never done at all... where mite we learn more/get up to speed?

Good luck to all on this game & sorry to butt in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gyathaar

The saves are the same.. it is just that the patch version gets embedded into locked games.. and since most pbem games use an admin password, they are locked..

What you need to do is open the game in unpatched (well, patched to 1.61 / 2.08 ) game, remove the admin password.. patch.. and then open the save again and readd the admin password
                            I have this problem with 3 of my games - 1 vanilla and 2 warlord games. I uninstalled Civ4, reinstalled and patched to 1.61, opened the save, went into options, game details, entered the admin password, then deleted the password and pressed okay, exited the game and patched to 1.74, opened the save again but it didn't work. I can't see any other way of deleting the admin password to unlock the game, so I assume that is how you do it.

I'm guessing that you need to delete the admin password and then send the unlocked save to be played by all until it comes back around, then patch and open?

Comment

• Originally posted by Andydog

I have this problem with 3 of my games - 1 vanilla and 2 warlord games. I uninstalled Civ4, reinstalled and patched to 1.61, opened the save, went into options, game details, entered the admin password, then deleted the password and pressed okay, exited the game and patched to 1.74, opened the save again but it didn't work. I can't see any other way of deleting the admin password to unlock the game, so I assume that is how you do it.

I'm guessing that you need to delete the admin password and then send the unlocked save to be played by all until it comes back around, then patch and open?
                              Should not need to send it..

to take it step for step..

- open game to where you can play
                              - hit shift-alt-d
                              - enter the admin password, press ok
                              - delete all the **** in the password field
                              - press ok
                              - save game
                              - patch up game
                              - load the last saved game
                              - hit shift-alt-d
                              - put the admin password back into the password field
                              - press ok
                              (- save if you like)
                              - end turn

Comment

• The game is back up, by the way...

Comment

Working...
                                X