• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, the game is back up.

Comment

• Welcome back, Alex!

Now to see if I manage to get in it.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by alexman
        Hey guys, the game is back up.
        Thanks Alex! Trust you had a good trip.
        Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• yup, its good to be playing again.

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to host? The game shows up but after 20 attempts I've given up.

I've developed a loathing for gamespy while playing this game.

Comment

• I tried again after breakfast and it connected on the 2nd attempt.

Comment

• No problems with me connnecting....But then again, my Empire is, well, rather "smallish"
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Gamespy seems to be requiring people to get the patch (to 2.13) to play at the moment.

We probably should take down the game until the patch is fully available [both until everyone has it, and until direct2drive version is available for people like myself].

Alex, any idea when d2d patch will come out?
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Witt, Beta, I suggest this for your games as well... 2.09 players won't be able to play if you have 2.13 on the ptbs server, and vice versa. I at least won't have 2.13 for a number of days (whenever D2D comes out with the patch).

Comment

• Well, since I was basically given no choice - I brought down the Apolyton Gathering game and patched. My hosted game is back up again...but with Snoopy not being able to play, I guess I should just bring the game down and wait until everyone is on the same sheet of music...besides, I'm flying to NYC this Sunday and will be returning next Friday evening; so maybe it's all for the best.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Understood. What a pain. What is the new version all about anyways, and why wasn't anybody aware it was coming? Alex?
                      Last edited by Beta; July 20, 2007, 14:25.
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Damn! I just tried playing some of my PBEM games but the PBEM saves are NOT compatable with the newer version...does this mean that ALL of our PBEM games are now trashed?!?

Comment

• Really? I didn't realize it would be a new save version. That's odd.

It's possible someone might make a save converter, I suppose. Gyathaar is the only person I know who knows how to do that sort of thing, but I'm sure there are others. Essentially all you have to do, I believe, is take the old save load functionality, take the new save output functionality, provide defaults (0) for whatever is changed, and output the file, as far as I know... but I haven't ever done it myself mind you

I never did understand why they don't build that functionality into the game itself. After all, this is one game that people play on an ongoing basis... and it shouldn't be that difficult to allow the game to just fill in defaults on its own (as long as it lets you know it's doing it)?

Comment

• I got back late last night after a few beers, found myself downloading a patch, and now I can't load any of my multiplayer games!

I'll wait to see what needs to be done to fix things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wittlich
                              Damn! I just tried playing some of my PBEM games but the PBEM saves are NOT compatable with the newer version...does this mean that ALL of our PBEM games are now trashed?!?
                              The saves are the same.. it is just that the patch version gets embedded into locked games.. and since most pbem games use an admin password, they are locked..

What you need to do is open the game in unpatched (well, patched to 1.61 / 2.08 ) game, remove the admin password.. patch.. and then open the save again and readd the admin password

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                                Alex, any idea when d2d patch will come out?
                                No, but I'll ask around.

I'm taking the game down until this gets sorted out, or until you find a replacement, whichever comes first.

Comment

Working...
                                X