Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigh.... Still no word on another patch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not like Civ3 that much at the time. It felt more repetitive than any other Civ game that I played. I'm not sure whether it was my own approach to playing it or the research restrictions or something else, but the excitement I got (and still get) from Civ1 and Civ2 was definitely lacking.

Recently, my attitude towards Civ3 has mellowed, probably because it's no longer supposed to be the last and best version of the game, but simply an important part of its history. By allowing the computer to keep up with and beat the player during the land grab, it restricted the number of viable approaches, but at the same time, it was the first Civ game that was really difficult to beat. It also added two great features, resources and culture. Nowadays, it's just one more version of Civilization to play while [attention: on-topic remark to follow] waiting for the final patch.

Comment

I don't let other's opinions determine what I think of a game. I play it and make my own decisions. Civ III sucked. It had a few nice features but that couldn't make up for how bad it was. Saying I didn't like it because others didn't is just plain silly.

Just my opinion. I know there are others that dissagree, and that's their right.

Back on topic. I want them to get it right since it will probably be the last one, but it is starting to get frustrating. And yeah, I'd also drop a few more bucks if there was another expansion if they keep adding enough content.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by EternalSpark

While I agree, I can sort of understand why. If I remember correctly, SMAC was made because Civ III couldn't be made, for some reason.

Since it wasn't Civ III proper, it was (for lack of a better term) an excuse to do a lot of things that Civ didn't do before. So when Civ III was finally made, a lot of SMAC-based things didn't immediately pop into the developer's radar.

It was only until Civ III proper came out that they realized people liked a lot of the things from SMAC, and thus most of them were reintroduced in Civ IV.
        IMHO, the only justifiable excuse for excluding those things was that because they had originated in SMAC, there may have been copyright issues with regard to Electronic Arts.
        "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

I also think Civ III was worse than Civ 2, and I only play civ SP.
          As for the patch, let them time. Firaxis has given hints they were working on it, so it will come to be one day, eventually.

However, for MP, I'm a bit surprised the community can't come out with a "standard" patch. Almost all Dominions II players played mp with the "Conceptual Balance" mod for instance, so it's certainly possible to get an unofficial patch promoted to "de facto" standard. The real problem is that patches that change dll's are much harder to manage than just checking a mod in a list of available mods.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

In our games, we get a bunch of new players, and people who play in different groups. It would be difficult to have a "standard" patch that applies to everybody, and for new comers who may not be aware of a "standard" MP patch.

The best thing for MP would be an official patch... it ends any compatibility problems.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

An official patch would be important for the modding community as well. Many mods were broken by 3.13, and are still awaiting updates pending, you guessed it, a final patch by Firaxis.
              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

But why not just let us know first if there will be a patch and second if they know roughly when it might be ready? We don't need a date, just if it's this quarter, during the summer, before Christmas or at least something.

PS I liked Civ3

Comment

Firaxis representatives have stated on multiple occasions that there WILL be another BtS patch, the only question is the timing.

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Rah: Saying I didn't like it because others didn't is just plain silly.

Nobody said that YOU didn't like it because of others
                    Never take something that's been said in general personal.

It's a known fact that anything that gets a positive word of mouth has a bigger change to be liked by others.
                    Many people like a #1 song while they would've liked it less if it wasn't a #1 song.
                    Tests have proven that.

It felt more repetitive than any other Civ game that I played.

I think there was less difference between Civ1 and Civ2 then between Civ2 and Civ3.
                    Civ2 was mostly a graphical improvement upon civ1 and hardly added anything to the gameplay.
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by jkp1187

IMHO, the only justifiable excuse for excluding those things was that because they had originated in SMAC, there may have been copyright issues with regard to Electronic Arts.
                      Civ3 was different from SMAC, and generally meh, because it was made halfway by Brian Reynolds and then dropped, and handed to someone with little knowledge of Civ. Soren's stated on numerous occasions that he made Civ3 the way he did largely because he didn't know the community well enough to know how it should have been made... but he worked it out by Civ4
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Civ2 was mostly a graphical improvement upon civ1 and hardly added anything to the gameplay.
                        That and the fact civ2 was moddable. Which, for me, made a lot of difference, much more so than the graphics stuff.
                        Also Civ2 Test of Time, despite its bad press, has features that CivIV lacks, like actually doing something when you land on Alpha Centaury.
                        Clash of Civilization team member
                        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Civ 3 and Civ 4 are basically the same game. The only discernible difference is that Civ 4 looks like a cartoon and has religion. Excuse me while I lose it in my pants, but that's not a big difference.

Comment

No problem. Just next time, be sure you're wearing an adult diaper if you have trouble holding it.
                            Last edited by jkp1187; March 17, 2008, 13:07.

-Matt Groenig

Comment

You're the one who seems to enjoy the cartoon game more than the rugged, far more attractive look of Civilization 3. Cartoons have their rightful place on Sunday morning kids channels, not on my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                                Civ 3 and Civ 4 are basically the same game. The only discernible difference is that Civ 4 looks like a cartoon and has religion. Excuse me while I lose it in my pants, but that's not a big difference.
                                There is no corruption in civ4, it has overflow, unit promotions, civics instead of goverments, great people,...
                                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                                X