Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hebrews: Chosen People, but not for Civ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see me being rebuked without any flaming. Still, no-one else really has put any other real reasons forward why we should not have the Hebrews. Just the same, so far I see more "nays" then "ayes". Only Lord Shiva seems to have a reason.

I don't believe having the Hebrews in the game would make it controversial (ie. anti-Semitic). The Arabs are Semitic, and so were the Babylonians (and they may show up later).

This may make me change my vote (if I could).

Keep up the debate, I'm liking it so far.

Comment

Isn't it feasible for a user who misses his/her favourite civilization to amend the data file containing city names, leader names, civilization-related nouns and adjectives, (and so on) to match those of his/her favourite civilization?
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Virdrago
        no-one else really has put any other real reasons forward why we should not have the Hebrews.

i guess i havent made a strong enough case

i must be getting rusty
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
          Isn't it feasible for a user who misses his/her favourite civilization to amend the data file containing city names, leader names, civilization-related nouns and adjectives, (and so on) to match those of his/her favourite civilization?
          Yes, it is indeed. This thread was to debate whether the Hebrews qualify just as someone's favorite civ on the level of say, the Toltecs, or if they are more than that and should (or should not) be added into the game officially.

I for one think they should.
          The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01

Yes, it is indeed. This thread was to debate whether the Hebrews qualify just as someone's favorite civ on the level of say, the Toltecs, or if they are more than that and should (or should not) be added into the game officially.

I for one think they should.
              Well, with only 20-odd civs available, there are more worthy candidates. Even just among European nations, the Dutch, Swedes, and Portuguese are more significant historically. Then you have the Khmer, the Iroquois, the Polynesians... from hitherto neglected regions.

Bump the number of available Civs to 40, and then we'll talk.
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
                i guess i havent made a strong enough case
                Yeah, you haven't
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

well since i cant make a strong argument... and since the nays are winning... and also since you dont like my tagline... i have one last secret weapon in my bag of tricks... and that is this:

Order of the Fly

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Well, with only 20-odd civs available, there are more worthy candidates. Even just among European nations, the Dutch, Swedes, and Portuguese are more significant historically. Then you have the Khmer, the Iroquois, the Polynesians... from hitherto neglected regions.

Bump the number of available Civs to 40, and then we'll talk.
                    Well, I think we may be looking at 40 with Civ4 eventually.
                    Civ1 had 16, Civ2 had 21, Civ3 w XPs had 31 (32 w/ Austria ), so Civ4 is likely to expand accordingly. Right now we're looking at 18 Vanilla + 6 from Warlords for a current total of 24. XP2 is likely to add 6-8 more new civs too, for a total of 30-32.

Here's a good list I found of future civ candidates:

Hebrews
                    Ethiopia or Nubia
                    Babylon* or Assyria
                    Sumer*
                    Mayans*
                    Khmer or Thai
                    Dutch*
                    Portuguese*
                    Hittites
                    Byzantines*
                    Iroquois* or Sioux
                    Minoans
                    Olmecs
                    Poland

So that's 14 options, enough for two more expansion packs. In my opinion, the problems really don't come until redundancy; adding civs like Austria or the Harappans would be redundant, but the Hebrews are very distinctive.

* = most likely in XP2
                    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Agreeing with Virdrago's reasons.

Solver:
                      As a civilization, though, I think Hebrews warrant inclusion for religious achievements, if you can call them so, alone.
                      This is covered by having Judaism as one of the seven religions in the game.

AAHZ:
                      shiite, kurds, sunni, not to mention countries such as the syrians, iranians, jordanians, etc, AS WELL AS the arabs.
                      Kurds aren't arabs. Iranians are predominantly persian, i.e. not arab. Shiite and Sunni are forms of Islam, i.e. not a racial distinction.

I'd be looking to include some of the following civs:

Austria
                      Hittites
                      Abyssinia
                      Khmer
                      Sumeria
                      Zimbabwe
                      Anasazi
                      Polynesia
                      Babylon
                      Phoenicia
                      Inuit
                      Last edited by Thedrin; February 20, 2007, 05:48.
                      LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

who would be the leader? I admit, I know next to nothing about them. They just don't interest me as a civ either. I would have no desire to play them. The arabs are far more interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Virdrago
                          Good to see me being rebuked without any flaming. Still, no-one else really has put any other real reasons forward why we should not have the Hebrews. Just the same, so far I see more "nays" then "ayes". Only Lord Shiva seems to have a reason.

Keep up the debate, I'm liking it so far.
                          My prime reason for voting no was as stated in the poll, i don't even want to see ANY new civs or an expansion but of course we'll get one anyways.

As for historic reasons: They wouldn't fit into the game at all, just because of size. CIV is about empires.

Having the hebrews or any of their kingdoms in for their religions would be alot like having Athens in for the philosophers.

Oh, the Zulu are a joke. Korea and Carthage and the Vikings are odd, too. Only a bit odd are vanilla, Germany, Japan (though germany and Japan did have their cruel shot at hegemony) and Mali. All the other ones were empires, even the aztecs, when compared to their tech level.

Comment

thedrin,

that is quite an impressive list... and thank you for clearing up my INclarities about the islamic civs! though weak as my argument was, my overall point stands firm, although beaten and battered as it might be.

you see im a big believer of game balance. you can dig up my old posts from years ago to discover that. i just thought by adding hebrews they should add some other contraversial civs, be them who they might be. it would BALANCE things out. problems and lawsuits could occur for firaxis later on with these decisions... but im just being paranoid i guess piece
                            Order of the Fly

Comment

Originally posted by SebP
                              i don't even want to see ANY new civs
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                                who would be the leader? I admit, I know next to nothing about them. They just don't interest me as a civ either. I would have no desire to play them. The arabs are far more interesting to me.
                                If you're refering to the Hebrews, I would suggest either King David or King Solomon, as they were leaders of the people at the apex of their political power, modest as it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X