Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hebrews: Chosen People, but not for Civ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psst... Arabs are a civ in Civ4
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

ive never been happy with the vague term "arab." there are dozens of arabian civs like the shiite, kurds, sunni, not to mention countries such as the syrians, iranians, jordanians, etc, AS WELL AS the arabs. all of whom might be sub-divisions of the religious branches of islam described above. im just saying they should include them if the hebrews are in. for BALANCE...

piece
      Last edited by ZEE; February 19, 2007, 12:41.
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I really doubt it. Arabs are a civ in Civ4. So are Persians, from which many draw their heritage. I can see some people getting upset on the inclusion of Hebrews if there were no Muslim Middle-Eastern civs included, but that's not the case. So, I really really doubt that the inclusion of Hebrews would trouble anyone except hardcore antisemites.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          I really doubt it. Arabs are a civ in Civ4. So are Persians, from which many draw their heritage.
          And the Ottoman Turks, so that's 3 traditionally Muslim civs.

I can see some people getting upset on the inclusion of Hebrews if there were no Muslim Middle-Eastern civs included, but that's not the case. So, I really really doubt that the inclusion of Hebrews would trouble anyone except hardcore antisemites.
          Personally, I think the Hebrews' cultural contributions far outweigh those of any other so-called "minor civ" anyway.
          And for one, they've managed to survive as a relatively cohesive cultural, if not ethnic, entity for over 2000 years, and usually in hostile surroundings.

And why include two Hebrew religions if the civ itself is not worthy of inclusion? But this is just scratching the surface of the iceberg.
          The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Hebrews: Why not

If Hebrews were in the game, then they should be required to get the Jewish religion. Since it would a huge exploit/game-breaker for a player to know it was so decreed, I would prefer they not be included.

Comment

Re: Hebrews: Why not

Originally posted by Jaybe
              If Hebrews were in the game, then they should be required to get the Jewish religion. Since it would a huge exploit/game-breaker for a player to know it was so decreed, I would prefer they not be included.
              How come? I don't view the Hebrew culture and the religion Judaism to be mutually exclusive.
              "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
              "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
              The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Hebrews shouldn't be required to get Judaism any more than the Indians are required to get Hinduism. Civ isn't about playing through history, it's rewriting history.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Hebrews shouldn't be required to get Judaism any more than the Indians are required to get Hinduism. Civ isn't about playing through history, it's rewriting history.
                  Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                    Why would that follow? India is in the game, but they don't automatically get Hinduism. And the Arabs don't automaticaly get Islam, nor the Chinese Confucianism.

Comment

like i said in my first post in this thread, i understand fully why the hebrew would be a welcome addition. yet the tensions or worse that could follow is sadly a reality of our world. religious debates have caused major wars in history.

is adding the hebrew too risky for sid? possibly. would some people like to see them in the game? absolutely. would it cause problems for firaxis and thats why they havent put them in? who knows.

i stand by my earlier posts...

piece
                      Order of the Fly

Comment

I'm pretty sure Jaybe was kidding.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
                          yet the tensions or worse that could follow is sadly a reality of our world. religious debates have caused major wars in history.

is adding the hebrew too risky for sid?
                          The same issue that would make it too risky to include the Hebrews would also make it too risky to include the Arabs, though.

Comment

would it alexander? i think it wouldve been risky NOT to include the arabs even if it is vague representation. The Jewish religion IS present in civ4, a sort of culture of Hebrews that any civ can adopt. this is a tricky topic, and one of the most sensitive that ive been a part of here, so i mean to offend nobody.

great job putting all of this into a positive perspective though.

piece
                            Order of the Fly

Comment

BTW, it's spelled "peace"

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                                BTW, it's spelled "peace"

psst......

.......its a parody

piece
                                Order of the Fly

Comment

Working...
                                X