No announcement yet.

Civ4: Omega Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can imagine moving that German unit SW onto Babylon and fighting with their Phalanx, and winning, and hearing the victory sound (the longer one) - pam pam pam, pam pam pam, pam pam PAM!
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• I want to see my soldiers walk down the street when taking a city
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• /me goes misty eyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus

They're trying to change that, that's the whole point.

See above.

Because there's completely different cities? Münster is near the Dutch border in the west, Ulm is on the Danube river in (or possibly near, not sure) Bavaria, in the south. And they're both on the German list.
          ahh thanks. Though I never got that far in the list. One game on a huge map I must have built over 30 cities. I was curious how long the city list is. It seems to be much longer than in past civ games. Maybel it's in one of the files in the game folder, I'll have to check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST

Because there's completely different cities? Münster is near the Dutch border in the west, Ulm is on the Danube river in (or possibly near, not sure) Bavaria, in the south. And they're both on the German list.

As you and Dis write the name of the city differently (dis with u, you with ü):
            Both names even point to different cities.
            Münster is like you correctly said, near the dutch border (in Northrhine westfalia [NRW]).
            Munster on the other hand also exists and is located halfway between Hamburg and Hannover.
            It is the place of a major military exercise grounds and is also place of a tank museum (the biggest or at least one of the biggest in germany). [/QUOTE]

the thing I noticed, was Munster (I don't know how to get the dots ) is the name of the cathedral in Ulm. I saw this in a tourist book of Ulm (my friend was born there). It was in german though, so I couldn't exactly read it.

Comment

• The Americans were absent in Rise of Nations (and the game exceeded all sales expectations "in spite of" that (as some people might claim)). They were present in every Civ game so far though (barring maybe some alt civ games, I wouldn't know for sure about that).

Originally posted by Dis
              ahh thanks. Though I never got that far in the list. One game on a huge map I must have built over 30 cities. I was curious how long the city list is. It seems to be much longer than in past civ games. Maybel it's in one of the files in the game folder, I'll have to check it out.
              The German city list is ridiculously long, something like 80 cities. Most other city lists aren't even half that long. Barring some of the city lists in Warlords (which were made by me) I believe they were all copied straight from Civ3 (except new civs of course, but I think Mali is the only one there). And the city lists are in [Warlords/]Assets/XML/Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml if you want to check.

the thing I noticed, was Munster (I don't know how to get the dots ) is the name of the cathedral in Ulm. I saw this in a tourist book of Ulm (my friend was born there). It was in german though, so I couldn't exactly read it.
              There Münster is actually a word that describes the type of building (English: minster) rather than a place name. But with the pesky German habit of capitalising all nouns I can understand how you'd be confused by that
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Barring some of the city lists in Warlords (which were made by me) I believe they were all copied straight from Civ3
                If you have any influence at all, can you get them to fix India's city list so that it's not filled with completely bogus names? Seriously, half of those "cities" aren't cities in real life (they're like rivers, states, etc.), and many of them are spelt as if someone was misspelling what someone else was mispronouncing aloud

I can make one if they'd like.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

• I have no intention of redoing all city lists (waaay too much work), but in case of India you have a point. No promises, but I'll raise the issue.

Comment

I have no intention of redoing all city lists (waaay too much work), but in case of India you have a point. No promises, but I'll raise the issue.

I posted a thread about it last year, I'll go see if I can dig up the list I put together in it.

Comment

• There are probably legal issues when it comes to reusing existing non-Firaxis lists directly (even if you don't mind), but I suppose it doesn't hurt to have some hooks for my own research.

Comment

• Not really on topic for the thread anymore after the past 100 posts of derailing but, another idea for the next expansion. Expand unique buildings/units to be related to the leader rather than the civ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dis
                          Which brings up more points. If we are going to include civilizations to satisfy the market place where they reside, why bother having ancient civilizations at all? Why not have the Italians instead of the Romans? Get rid of the persians as well.
                          Unlike North Americans, most people in the world have a strong sense of their past heritage. There are Iranians today who still think of themselves as Persians, even though that civilization has been more or less dead since Alexander's times. And Italians can easily relate to Romans, they have only to wander through their cities to see the remains of that civilization. IMO that's one of the problems with North American culture. For the most part, the collective memory of most people only goes back a hundred years or so. The rest of the world is quite different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willem

Unlike North Americans, most people in the world have a strong sense of their past heritage. There are Iranians today who still think of themselves as Persians, even though that civilization has been more or less dead since Alexander's times. And Italians can easily relate to Romans, they have only to wander through their cities to see the remains of that civilization. IMO that's one of the problems with North American culture. For the most part, the collective memory of most people only goes back a hundred years or so. The rest of the world is quite different.
                            Yes, this is true. We do not have the obvious history in USA that there is in Europe. I remember walking amidst the cathedrals and castles of England and Germany as a child. We have nothing like that in the US, as three hundred years ago, North America was virtually in the stone age.
                            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• Where I lived as a child, Pontiac MI, my dad was a city commisioner, a politician. Well we have a sister city in Japan, Kisatsu (forgive me if I spelled it wrong).

We send students there one year and then they send students here the next. When the students come here we entertain them and show them the sights. Being the Detroit area we showed them Ford Mansion.

They were sutibly impressed what with the size and grandure of the house. The hostess led us through the house and presented an urn ( I think it's Henry Ford's but maybe not) that was supposed to be crafted by Paul Revere over 200 years ago.

Nobody moved. The hostess was visibly shaken but kept up with the tour. As we past from one wing back accross the main hall to the other wing she again tried to make sure the tour understood that this urn was over 200 years old!

My mother finally pulled her aside and told her, these people are from a civilisation that's over 3000 years old - 200 years is hand-me-downs to them. Stop trying to be impressive.

No, we have no sense of history here.

Tom P.

Comment

• Great story! All too true an example of the differences in cultural attitudes! The self-focused nature of US perceptions is amazing, especially to one from the inside. Over and over, I have been shocked to find out facts and viewpoints I never knew about just because no one mentions them here.

The only thing I would add to the off-topic discussion of long term histories is that all too often they become long term grudges. I would rather have a form of cultural Alzheimer's than relive hatreds from a millenium ago.

Then again, that is what I do in Civ. If some rival Civ has done something in early game, like take a particular city spot or set off an early attack, I know that I plot and plan for centuries worth of game time until I can gain retribution for the slight I received. People complain when the AI players keep negative diplomacy points against us for so long. The truth is, the AI has nothing on us humans when it comes to holding a grudge.

So, for the ultimate expansion, the diplomacy points could be reflected in more specific comments. "You took from us and we will never ever forget. However, what deal did you have in mind?"
                                If you aren't confused,
                                You don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X