Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2K Games Announces Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ragnar Lodbrok is indeed one of the great vikings Even if much about him is probably untrue he had a profound influence in European history.
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• He might be well known outside Norway, but I had never heard of him before Civ3, even though I have read much about the Vikings throughout my young life. I would have liked some other guy better, like Knut the Great or another king/leader.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Ragnars Saga

I tried to find a translation to modern norwegian/swedish or english. But I couldn´t find one...

Comment

• Don't expect me to understand much, we don't learn that much norrønt in school.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

• I tried to make some sense out of it, but it´s harder to follow then nynorsk...

Comment

• Originally posted by Zoid
              Ragnars Saga

I tried to find a translation to modern norwegian/swedish or english. But I couldn´t find one...
              Er yeah, that one's hard to read too if you don't know the language involved. ( )

Alright, for the uninitiate. Ragnar is believed to be the first Viking king, though the years he was actually acknowledged as such are in dispute. (Vikings were kind of anarchist-nonconformist, like Eastern barbarians and didn't take kindly, at first, to fealty or feudalism. He was unquestionably a major leader for a significant period regardless, unlike the disputed Joan of Arc leaderhead.) Ragnar reportedly liked to go on adventures, the basis for those two films I mentioned, "The Vikings" and "The Norsemen." (Not sure if either or American or British productions.) But Ragnar was foremost in raiding too. On his "visits" to France, he reportedly on one occasion got a stupendous ransom for Paris and on others razed Rouen several times. The timeline for his exploits is confused and some, as Zoid suggested, were probably fabricated or embellished. His four sons are well documented though and one, Hvar the Boneless, a future king, is said to have initiated the raids of England that ultimately established the Viking colonies there. Whether Ragnar died in the snakepit of the King of Northumbria and thus caused those raids is also disputed. But as an early political unifier, bold warrior and pioneer of Viking organized raiding and colonization, he is unquestionably important; and his exploits no more mythical than those of Agememmnon. I like him and like him as choice for the Viking leader.
              You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

• Generaldoktor, the language is old norse. Tricky to read even if you´re norwegian/danish/swedish.

Comment

Generaldoktor, the language is old norse. Tricky to read even if you´re norwegian/danish/swedish.
                  Grandma was Norwegian and lived to a ripe, old age, but she didn't go back that far!

Comment

• No, few grandmas date back to 700-1000 AD.

Comment

I tried to make some sense out of it, but it´s harder to follow then nynorsk...
                      I would've guessed that someone with the islandic flag would have had a good chance to read it.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH

I would've guessed that someone with the islandic flag would have had a good chance to read it.
                        Zoid has the Aland Islands flag. Note that what is white on the Icelandic flag is yellow on his. Or did you mean Nikolai? His is Norwegian.
                        The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• Um, seeing as how no one actually knows what these guys looked like I say leave the leaderheads and rename the civ - Poof! Babylon!

Just, thowing that out there.

Tom P.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander01

Zoid has the Aland Islands flag. Note that what is white on the Icelandic flag is yellow on his. Or did you mean Nikolai? His is Norwegian.
                            Iceland = Island. Zoid is Swedish. But what Spencer probably meant, is that Icelandic is very much alike old norse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai

Iceland = Island. Zoid is Swedish. But what Spencer probably meant, is that Icelandic is very much alike old norse.
                              Yes, I understand that Island is Iceland. Neverthless, the flag Zoid is displaying is not the flag of Sweden.
                              The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                              "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                              "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                              The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander01

Yes, I understand that Island is Iceland. Neverthless, the flag Zoid is displaying is not the flag of Sweden.
                                We probably should go back to talking about Warlords.

Comment

Working...
                                X