Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in Civ4. Just the facts, ma'am! (2nd edition)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woah, crazy. Good stuff, Locutus, and man, I'm getting excited about this already.

EDIT: In the screenshots section, you mention the Pyramid image... I think it may be from a wonder-movie for the pyramids wonder?

EDIT2: I also only sort of glanced through this thread, so I may have missed something, but I was wondering... On this here screenie:

Consider Madrid. Has there been any indication as to what those things above the city name mean? One can make some guesses as to +25%, as that appears in many places, but what about the icons to the left of that? The little buddha with a star maybe means it's a holy city, but the two orbs with stars elude me.
    Last edited by vovan; May 17, 2005, 20:34.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

[SIZE=1]EDIT: In the screenshots section, you mention the Pyramid image... I think it may be from a wonder-movie for the pyramids wonder?
      AFAIK it's not explained anywhere where it's from, but the 2K Games website shows it as what appears to be the box cover. Of course, that doesn't exclude the possibility that it's (also?) used in a wonder movie...
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
        AFAIK it's not explained anywhere where it's from, but the 2K Games website shows it as what appears to be the box cover.
        Ah, indeed, indeed. I haven't been following the Civ4 developments much recently...
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
          Consider Madrid. Has there been any indication as to what those things above the city name mean? One can make some guesses as to +25%, as that appears in many places, but what about the icons to the left of that? The little buddha with a star maybe means it's a holy city, but the two orbs with stars elude me.
          The +25% is probably indeed a defense bonus, that's how I explained it in the opening posts. I forgot to mention the religion symbols, but that is indeed what they are, this was established months ago. Buddha = Buddhism, blue thingie = Hinduism, David star = presumably Judaism (you may have to enlarge the image to recognize the David star, but that's definitely what it is). What the stars are we can only speculate about, but it would indeed be very logical for them to represent a holy city.

I'll add this missing info to the opening posts.
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

good work, Locutus
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Nice job, Locutus.

Yay, finally a round(ed) 'map' in Civ.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Awesome, Locutus... thank you.

BUT, Barry Caudill says: "We eliminated armies..."

WAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

And 3125 possible gov't combos... whew!!
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I was looking at the tribes list, and I noticed the Greeks, Romans, and Babylonians aren't there yet. With a total of 18 tribes and 16 already listed, that leaves just 2 spots for those remaining civs to fill. Don't tell me they're going to have to cut one (or more) of them!

Nice to see Mali finally replacing the Zulus though. (No offense to any Zulus out there! )
                    "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Great job Locotus!
                      I keep having a great time reading through those posts!
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I have one concern about the modability. With the new fanzy graphics, will it be difficult to create NEW graphics for NEW units?

Else, sounds like an ok game. 3d! Well, you will be suppriced how smal the distance between Canada and North russia is

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Stone
                          I have one concern about the modability. With the new fanzy graphics, will it be difficult to create NEW graphics for NEW units?
                          Depends on the format...if it's just a matter of exporting from 3DSMax or Maya, I've found it easier to work in 3D than to deal with 2D sprites.
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

SDK for AI development.
                            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I hope the graphic option to hide the unit defending a city has
                              been retained, because I can't abide those units looming over cities...

I am sure it will be included...The screenies all look solid!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

reading how very modable the game will be I think this game may stand the test of time very well and be played oftenly untill ciV!

perhaps entire 'new' games may be modded on this.
                                Of course not new like doom4 or something. But in fact it may be possible to mod a chess game on this civ - engine. But now with 4 players....

imagine what can be modded with the promotion-system....! make 1000 promotional options and you can almost made a small "The Sims" game in it.....

Of course this all sounds pretty silly, but I think the option for modding is really huge and the ideas may be endless.
                                Are there games on the market right now that are that moddable?

I'm not a modder myself but perhaps this will make me one!
                                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                                X