Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in Civ4. Just the facts, ma'am! (2nd edition)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor
    However, in terms of sheer power, wealth and prestige, I think the Mali are far above the Ethiopians.
    Your explanation suits me well enough.

To achieve geographical balance Mali would fit better too.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
      Did they think that an Arab civilisation with Jewish religion might just be pushing the boundaries too far?
      There is such a thing as Arab Jews, just as there are Arab Christians. It just appens that Arab Muslims are (by far ) the majority.

Anyway, if any civ got 'axed', I would (reluctantly) pick the Aztecs. I hope the reports of just 18 civs are wrong though.

As far as Ethiopia vs. Mali, I personally like the fact that they chose Mali. That being said, I think it's a toss up as far as which one deserves to be in the game more.
      "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Did I read somewherein this thread that, having some technology enables you to build The Parthenon?

How can this be if the Greeks are not included?
        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
        George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by axi
          Did I read somewherein this thread that, having some technology enables you to build The Parthenon?

How can this be if the Greeks are not included?
          You know, people use that line of reasoning quite a lot ('Israel must be in because Judaism is', etc) -- but WHY? I mean, it's not like, if the Parthenon is a Wonder, the Greeks are the only ones who can build it... In fact, most of the time they probably won't. How many games of Civ haven't there been played in the past 15 years where the English built the Great Wall or the Zulu built the Manhatan Program? Isn't that what civ is all about, alternative history?

Copernicus' Observatory has been in every Civ game to date, yet where are the Polish as a civ? Magellan with his Voyage was Portuguese, yet I don't see them in the game. There's the Michelangelo/Sistine Chapel but no Italians. Women's Suffrage was first granted in New Zealand, yet not a single civ from that region has ever featured in Civ...

I don't know whether or not the Greeks are in Civ4 -- I sure hope they are -- but that line of reasoning makes no sense...
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Ok, I always thought the civ "Great Wall" was not Hadrians wall but the chinese great wall......

may be me..
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
              Ok, I always thought the civ "Great Wall" was not Hadrians wall but the chinese great wall......

may be me..
              That's exactly my point: it's a Chinese wonder but often it was not the Chinese civ which built it but someone else, like the English...

BTW, I updated the new version of the thread to show my progress. Probably one or two more days before I'm done, depending on how much time I'll have this weekend...
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Ah, I thought you meant it more like: "Hadrians wall isn't build by the english in every game! so the parthenon doesn't need Greece to be build"

both versions of the story appear to be valid
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  Magellan with his Voyage was Portuguese, yet I don't see them in the game.
                  Have you not played Civ 3 Conquests?

Anyway, I agree with your point. Just because a civilization/nation isn't in the game, it doesn't mean their wonders can't be.
                  "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Great work Locutus!

DeepO

Comment

Hmmm, I can't imagine the Greeks or Babylonians being in. They are as quintessential to civ as the English, Germans, Russians, Romans, etc. So my hunch is that some other civ got dropped, if indeed there are only 18. Perhaps the Arabs or Incas.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

If the greeks aren't in, then what is the early defensive melee unit of the game, if not the phalanx?

Will there be just spearmen?
                        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                        George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by axi
                          If the greeks aren't in, then what is the early defensive melee unit of the game, if not the phalanx?

Will there be just spearmen?
                          The phalanx wasn't in Civ3. The universal unit was the spearmen and the Greeks got the unique unit of hoplite over the spearmen.
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                            Hmmm, I can't imagine the Greeks or Babylonians being in. They are as quintessential to civ as the English, Germans, Russians, Romans, etc. So my hunch is that some other civ got dropped, if indeed there are only 18. Perhaps the Arabs or Incas.
                            I believe neither two should be dropped. First, the Arabs extend along a big area and they developed a 'religion', concept that cIV plans to address. Second, if you are going to include one civilization that represent the original american people, the Inca were by far the most advanced, they were a local empire that took a big chunk of South America, with a bigger chance of become a local modern power, if they weren't conquered by sheer luck and disease. They were the most powerfull of the ancient americas.

To be fair, three civilizations from the Americas should be included: The Iroquis (or something similar) to represent the North America natives. The Aztecs to represent Central America. And The Incas, to represent South America.

Regarding health, I wonder if first contact between civilizations will also mean disease transmission, ala what happened with the death of million of aboriginal people shortly after the first eupeans arrival.

Greetings

Alex
                            "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                              I already smelled expansion packs when cIV was announced!
                              Well Cyber, with the announced tools and easy way to mod the game, I should smell indeed "players' modding in a month" for every civilization that already have enough raw graphics and info available from previus Civ 3 Conquest.

We already know unique unit, leader name e raw animation, city list, etc. for greeks, babylonian, zulu, korean...

Many brilliant modders already did great works in the past with few hints.
                              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
                                Well Cyber, with the announced tools and easy way to mod the game, I should smell indeed "players' modding in a month" for every civilization that already have enough raw graphics and info available from previus Civ 3 Conquest.
                                A strong modding community never stopped EA from releasing all those Sims expansion packs.

XBox Live: VovanSim
                                xbox.com (login required)
                                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                                Spore page

Comment

Working...
                                X