Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in Civ4. Just the facts, ma'am! (2nd edition)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes sense to start doing the animations for the early units/techs/whatever before they go on...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

In case anyone is wondering why I haven't updated yet, it's because I've begun to completely rewrite the opening posts. No new info has come out all day and we already got a lot, so I don't expect much more to be released during E3. But while the expo is still running, the E3 thread started by Sn00py gives a good overview of all the new info, so until I'm done please check that if you want to know what to know more. Hopefully I will be done processing all that info and rewriting this thread in a few days time. You can get sort of a 'sneak-peak' of what's I'm trying to do here: lots of tables, lots of piccies...
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I will cry if the Greeks are not included. Cry, Firaxis, CRY!
        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Babylon is in. The grey flag depicts what looks like an Aurochs, an extinct type of cattle which was the primary beast of burden in the Babylonian world.

Maybe there are actually nineteen civs like was originally announced.

Comment

Or maybe the Americans are scrapped. [/heresy]
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, are part and parcel of any CIV game, they have to be in...

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                I already smelled expansion packs when cIV was announced!
                I hope there is a whiff of a WW2 global scenario in the expansion aroma!

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                  Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, are part and parcel of any CIV game, they have to be in...
                  Romans are in. So far, neither Greece nor Babylon have been confirmed, and there is only one spot left.

Personally, I think Babylon is scrapped, and will be in the first expansion pack.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

CIV without babylon would be weird...They did invent the code of laws and hanging gardens....

I wonder how they will get by that?

Comment

Well, if there are 18 civs, either the Greeks or the Babylonians are out, that's for sure. That would both be equally stupid.

But considering how ALL previews were consistent in reporting 28 leaders and 19 civs until E3 and just in the last few days that suddenly changed to 26 and 18, I'm pretty sure one Civ just got axed for some reason (which means both might still be in, but it's gonna be a huge pain in the arse to find out which civ got axed).

For the fact thread, I'll just thrown in the Babbies and add a disclaimer that one (any) of the civs from the current list probably got axed...

Comment

Hmm, that wasn't so bad. The only civs that haven't been seen or mentioned during E3 are the Arabs, Aztec and Babylonians, so it's between them and the unknown 19th civ (Greeks?) that one got axed.

Comment

Did they think that an Arab civilisation with Jewish religion might just be pushing the boundaries too far?
                          "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                            Or maybe the Americans are scrapped. [/heresy]
                            Better so than the Greeks being scrapped.

Platonian and most especially Aristotleian philosophy shaped Europe for well over a thousand years. Also, Greek culture had a huge effect on Roman culture. There may not be a single more important Civ out there!

Not to cause controversy but aren't the Ehtiopians more deserving to be a Civ than the Malinese?
                            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                              Not to cause controversy but aren't the Ehtiopians more deserving to be a Civ than the Malinese?
                              The Ethiopians are worthy of being included in a comprehensive list of civs, because they had the oldest African empire (not many African empires stood the test of time, Ethiopia did).

However, in terms of sheer power, wealth and prestige, I think the Mali are far above the Ethiopians. During the middle ages, the Mali were Europe's main source of Gold; Timbuktu was a great religious and scholarly centre; and the empire was much bigger than Ethiopia.

I think the Mali (actually, that would be "the west-African empires", because there were three empires following each other, spanning on roughly the same area) are the most "civilized" in Africa, with Ethiopia coming second. A much better choice than the Zulu in any case.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                                The Ethiopians are worthy of being included in a comprehensive list of civs, because they had the oldest African empire (not many African empires stood the test of time, Ethiopia did).
                                The Ethiopians are not by a long stretch the oldest African empire. That one is a close contest between Egypt and Nubia. However, they are the oldest independent country in the world today (arguably with the exception of China), they've existed as an independent state since the first century.

The Mali were very important for a few centuries (at one point they were even the 2nd largest empire in the world), but they didn't last more than a few centuries. Ethiopia was one of the world's most important empires in late Roman times, and have been around in one form or another ever since.

What's more important, a short period of great glory or a long stretch of somewhat lesser glory? That's very much a subjective thing, as making lists of civs always is. You can't discount the HUGE impact Mali had on particularly the Muslim world, but you can't discount Ethiopia's longetivity and their influence in ancient times either. Personally, I'd say they're both about on the same level of importance: not as important as Greece, Babylon or China, but more important than some others like Americans, Aztecs or Koreans. A long, long, long stretch above the Zulu anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X