Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in Civ4. Just the facts, ma'am! (2nd edition)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyberShy
    Are there games on the market right now that are that moddable?
    Yes, there are. Various settings, like units, techs and the like are moddable in many games. Of course, it depends on the game if those tweaks are easy or difficult to make. Putting some data into text files is not a new idea in Civ, so the use of XML is just a minor improvement here—basically keeping up with current standards. What it will (hopefully!) provide is an easier way to distinguish things you can change safely (labels, variable values) from the ones that can break the game (variable names).

The ability to change the AI is not new either. But (hopefully) the controls available for modders will be much more precise in CIV, and far-reaching than so far. You see, there were options to mod the AI in Civ3. The thing is, they were not enough to achieve more than a slight improvement, even combined with tweaks to overall game mechanics (AU Mod). Python promises more power in this area, so my hopes are high.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

3D

2D!

Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Lynchparty!!

He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon
          I was looking at the tribes list, and I noticed the Greeks, Romans, and Babylonians aren't there yet. With a total of 18 tribes and 16 already listed, that leaves just 2 spots for those remaining civs to fill. Don't tell me they're going to have to cut one (or more) of them!

Nice to see Mali finally replacing the Zulus though. (No offense to any Zulus out there! )
          I smell expansion packs.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

I already smelled expansion packs when cIV was announced!
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Screenshots at IGN

Add
              Improvements
              Sea tile improvements - fishing net
              Religious buildings are tagged with religion name

Units
              Maceman

Flags
              English - St georges cross

Civs
              Who has built a city named Cherokee?
              "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

One of those fishing nets seems to be on a "empty" sea tile.
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                  One of those fishing nets seems to be on a "empty" sea tile.
                  The same way you can build a Mine on a Grassland without a Bonus, perhaps?

Comment

That would suggest it will end up looking like ctp with your harbor filled to the brim with fishing nets and fishing farms. :ugly:
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Well, land tiles already look like that and nobody is complaining. You get used to things.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
                        Sea tile improvements - fishing net
                        Somebody in another thread suggested that they might not be tile improvements, but rather indications of "worked tiles". That makes sense, since it is reasonable to assume you can see what tiles are worked by a city on the main map -- what with them claiming you never need to go into additional menus unless you are a power gamer.

Plus, with the units on the rest of the map, it seems a wee bit early for marine improvements.

Vovan
                        XBox Live: VovanSim
                        xbox.com (login required)
                        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                        Spore page

Comment

We've seen some ancient & classical units. I would like to see some gunpowder & 20th century types!

And what about the aircraft and naval units?! In addition to how the systems work, of course.

Comment

I remember of cIIIv that only early units are showed in screenshots
                            I think that's because when screenshots are going to be made they just startup a new game and make the screenshots as soon as possible.

We didn't got much diplomacy information yet.
                            So far only the 'ask another civ to go to war with a civ you're not at war with' and the 'stop the war with civ x' option.
                            But how does diplomacy work? Like cIIIv but expanded? Or a totally new system?
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

The interface looks the same as in Civ3.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                                We've seen some ancient & classical units. I would like to see some gunpowder & 20th century types!

And what about the aircraft and naval units?! In addition to how the systems work, of course.
                                Well, in that E3 movie they show the units screen briefly, and as far as I could see the later spaces were still open. I guess they're still in the developping stage for those animations and graphics.
                                He who knows others is wise.
                                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                                X