To 2000AD or beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This poll really lacks bananas.

I voted 3000 because I want to be able to do something with my libraries once I have completed the (2000) tech tree. However, a 3000 tech tree, or any tech tree, will still have an end, which means an end to technology and progress. I don't want an end.
    I would like a system where, once you have finished the tech tree, you can research techs that add something to existing units/buildings/whatnots. For instance, after I have discovered the latest, supposedly 2020, tech in 1950, what do I do in the 50 or 70 remaining years? I'd like to research 'improved infantry' techs, which will give me +1% to infantry units stats for every 1000 beakers put into the tech.
    Etcaetera.

This allows to go beyond 2000 without going into science fiction.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

LDiCesare,
      What your suggesting would have to be not just an end game change though. I don't think it would be sensible to play the entire game with Civ 1/2/3 style tech advances, and then suddenly at the end of the game techs will now change things you already know.

Now, if you want to talk about making the whole tech tree like that, then I'm game. It would certainly be able to take us beyond 2000 without mechwalkers.

Comment

If we could add eras, it would be easy to make future eras ourselves. But the game has to only go into the forseeable future. Missile Defense System = ok, mechwalkers = not ok.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I didn't vote: 2000 is too soon. (It's 2003, after all, and still no spaceship to Alpha Centauri).

3000 is WAAAAY too long. As much as I enjoyed SMAC, it doesn't resonate the way Civ does because it's fictitious. (And somehow I think SMAC's PCness makes it blander than Civ's PCness. )

2100. Maybe shave some years off for difficulty, if necessary. I'm for extending the modern era slightly, perhaps, if eras are kept. Probably not a "future era".

I'm not against: mild terraforming, especially to reverse global warming; "cure for cancer", SDI, deep sea advances, shuttles, space stations, fusion, etc.

I AM against: mechwarriors, x-wings, space aliens, time travel, etc.

I'm FOR: making all those things I'm AGAINST allowed in mods.
          [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

My vote is for about 2050. A few future techs, ones that are conceivable and are in or entering their pipeline phase.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I would like to see cloning, superstring theory, nanotechnology, artificial organs, and other technologies that are clearly in the future, just not here yet. 2100 is a good stopping point. the first few future techs can have names but no benefits and be things like "robot mades", "personal flying cars", "killer robots posing as austrian bodybuilders", "robocop" or just be something the player can name.

Comment

2000. It's a game about history, not a sci-fi game, damnit.

The farthest out I would like to see the game would be 2050, and a few futuristic techs like say "Cloning" (new population can come from shields or something, I dunno) or "Virtual Reality" (2 citizens in every city are happy, maybe that could be a Wonder? ). But Firaxis, well, you're not Nostradamus, and putting in anything that's not already with considerable progress on it would be going too far.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I would like to see cloning

Yeah, mass cloning of humans is really going to happen (at least not for a LONG time)

superstring theory

Researching this would give you what benefits? Plus, that isn't in the future - we already HAVE superstring theory.

nanotechnology

Further in the future than you think, and less powerful. Plus, that's really sci-fi-ish.

artificial organs

Again: this would give you what benefits?

Comment

I voted for 3000AD although I think 2200AD would be enough (also since you would most of the time win before you reached the 'end-year').

By the way I very much like CTP2 because it some futuristic and original ideas.

ex. There was a zeppelin-like unit that was a representation of massive media manipulation ( publicity) I just loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                      Am I the only one to support the idea of circa 2100 AD?

It could give some time to use late-era techs, such as Fusion or superconductors. 2050 is too "tight" for my liking.

In civ2, you got fusion and said "nice, no more meltdowns". 3 years later, your spaceship reaches AC.
                      I'd say 2500 AD. Many things could happen in earth's future: a Pax Americana (possibly resisted by Ghandhian tactics), the EU becomes a model for Regional Goverment, a Chinese economic boom leading to a world with more Authoritarian Capitalism, Islamists finding the Achilles heel of the world's economic powers, a new goverment form built on the slavish obedience of human clones ( or make this a possible future in fascism). In the last few years, there have been many more military tactics, terrorism, human shields (a 3rd party government might encourage the use of human shelds as a way to stop a goverments war plans withouty declaring war), Checimal weapons might or might not proke nuclear retaliation(if used in Gulf War I, the plan was to blow up Iraq's dams). A goverment might build a Ministry of Fear to work up it's populace (some leftwing sites claim that's the purpose of Orange Alerts).

The ship to AC should be more diffucult to build: I saw one real world proposal: use antimatter to fission smaller amounts than would otherwise be possible , to create the heat for fusion (currently, the only way to create fusion is by exploding an A Bomb, so the flight would be extremely bumpy). The ship would need helium3, mined on the moon.

This brings the game to 2100 or 2200, a few more centuries could be added with a serious greenhouse effect, depletion of oil, and the aging of the populationcould force the abandoment of cities, or it might happen naturally, because the longer game gives more countries a chance to build a nuclear arsenal to stop #1 from getting to AC.
                      Last edited by realpolitic; January 2, 2004, 18:17.

Comment

I want the Space Race to be closer to what it was in C2 - you can launch a bare-bones ship, and have it travel slowly, or you can add lots of engines and stuff, and have it travel faster. Plus you got extra points IIRC for adding extra hab modules.

Comment

Around 2050 seems good. Just enough into the future to be realistic without being sci-fi.
                          Vote Democrat
                          Support Democracy

Comment

I want the future in the game because for a conquest or space victory you need it, because no one's conquered the world yet or been to Alpha Centauri. Maybe the Space victory should be the Apollo Project or a probe leaving the solar system.

We should have future techs so we can advance farther than in real history. We need the game to last far enough into the future for logical division of eras, and years per turn.

You can avoid the future era by conquering the world or otherwise winning before it starts. Maybe when setting up the game you can decide which era will end the game.

Future history is still history.

There should be a significant chance of things turning out significantly different from real history.
                            Last edited by Brent; January 2, 2004, 20:57.

Comment

No, but people have considered the world to be conquered i.e. Alexander the Great. And, probes have left the solar system, so what's the fun in that? Doing something that everbody knows can be done, because it has been done, no room to improve over RL.
                              Vote Democrat
                              Support Democracy

Comment

I dunno if someone siad this before (to lazy to read long english posts ), but, how about play until 2100 as a normal game, then it ends but there's is going to be more techs/eras if you like to continue.

Something like this could be the message:

"Ok man!, You're done, end fo the game!, what are you doing now?"

- Enough for me, let me go.
                                - No!, the IA have to pay!, let me continue with this!.
                                - Mmm... I wish to continue but with the normal rules, please.

So, for scoring/hall of fame purposes, if you continue playing, the score have to have a message.

"- The Slayer / Persia / Monarch / Diplomatic - 5000 (normal)
                                - The Slayer / Japan / Emperor / Conquest - 10000 (futuristic) "

And the "futuristic" mode must'n be more than 3500, for saying something.

What do you think?

Fortune and Glory, here I come!!!.
                                Indiana Jones
                                Spanish Empire Civ for Civilization 5 (in Spanish/en Español)

Comment

Working...
                                X